User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude generator operation

I just added an Onan 5500 watt generator to my 376RD order. I have experience with a Cedar Creek and the power management system that automatically sheds loads like A/C's to manage the load. Do the Solitudes have any load management that sheds loads? How will I manage the load to make sure the generator capacity isn't exceeded? Thanks.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    I just added an Onan 5500 watt generator to my 376RD order. I have experience with a Cedar Creek and the power management system that automatically sheds loads like A/C's to manage the load. Do the Solitudes have any load management that sheds loads? How will I manage the load to make sure the generator capacity isn't exceeded? Thanks.
    Again, even with OEM generator installation, no such thing on the GD units (unless that has changed for this MY, but I don't think so).

While the 5500 is a fantastic machine and I put hundreds of hours on ours without a single hiccup, the only thing protecting exceeding capacity are the circuit breakers. Either the 30A breakers on the GenSet unit (most likely to trip first) or the panel breakers inside the RV (I never tripped these while running GenSet). Now, I will say that it was rare that I tripped breakers in thousands of miles of travel and campsite use and was always in hot weather and me trying to run too many appliances (3 A/C units and a microwave). I could run the two 15K A/C units constantly until that thing ran out of gas with no issues.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you A.Texas.Yankee