User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV Antenna Cable Short Circuit

I have a 2021 303RLS Reflection and recently the Winguard roof antenna stopped working. After removing the antenna and disconnecting the antenna cable at the booster I've verified there is a short in the cable by measuring its resistance. I don't believe it’s a problem with either connector. After reviewing many posts on this site I can't find any mention of an antenna cable problem or details how the cable is run. Can anyone help?

Pete
    2017 F-250 Diesel
    2021 303RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are the first one with this issue, can you just swap the cable out for a new one. Contact Winguard they may be helpful in getting direction for the repair. Keep us posted on how it goes.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete100 View Post
    I have a 2021 303RLS Reflection and recently the Winguard roof antenna stopped working. After removing the antenna and disconnecting the antenna cable at the booster I've verified there is a short in the cable by measuring its resistance. I don't believe it’s a problem with either connector. After reviewing many posts on this site I can't find any mention of an antenna cable problem or details how the cable is run. Can anyone help?

Pete
    Is your TV in a slide? If so check the cables where they go through the slide floor. On my 2020 337 the satellite cable was smashed where TV and other cables went through the slide floor. Also behind the TV in the wall they hung the TV cables from a zip tie denting some of the coax.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 05-11-2023 at 08:30 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had this issue a few times in other trailers, it has always been the connectors. Thats the easiest to fix before trying to replace cable. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!
    2022 Momentum 21G
    300ah LiFePo4, 525 watt solar
    2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before going crazy with anything replace the cable ends. Better yet, before replacing the cable ends, look inside them for a stray ground braids contacting the center conductor.

It is very rare that a cable goes bad. But it could be that a fastener internal to the RV near the cable has worn through the cable. Make sure it isn't grounded and it is really a short between the center conductor and shield.

Checking under the slide was a good suggestion too.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have one of the two F connectors on that coax that is shorted.. The center conductor is shorted to the shield.. Remove the connectors one at a time and measure from center to shield.. Should read infinity.... if not then the other end is shorted.. There could be a section of the coax run that has a staple through it but one would think it would have shown up long before this.....

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV Antenna Cable Short Circuit—Solved

Thank you for your inputs. I called GD Customer Service for information regarding how the antenna cable is run. They said there are intermediate connections for the booster cables which are located on the left side of basement below the entertainment area. They said this is from where technicians fish replacement cables. They also said it wouldn’t be necessary to cut the coroplast but rather remove the screws to gain access. Note in the 303RLS the entertainment center is located in the left slideout and it’s easy to spot where the wire sleeve runs from the slideout to the basement. I should also mention that prior to this January, the cable TV connection was poor so I have been using the satellite input next to the cable TV input on the Nautilus panel and connected the TV to the booster satellite output connector. OTA reception has never been great.

We spent the winter in Florida and used the Dish exclusively. I did try OTA in March and saw the red light was not coming on. I’m just now getting around to the troubleshooting.
    By removing two screws and pulling down the coroplast, I was somewhat able to peek inside with a flashlight. By feeling around with my hand I felt the connections and pulled them closer to my opening. The intermediate connections feed thru coax barrel connectors inline with each of the four cables running up to the booster: Cable TV, OTA antenna, satellite input and TV2 for a second TV. What I saw was surprising.

The F connector for cable TV (orange cable) was not screwed into the barrel connector at all. Instead the bare center conductor of the cable was over an inch long and stuffed in the barrel connector. The F connector and barrel connector where then simply bent together. It appeared that the center conductor was shorting out. I cut off the excess and connected it to the barrel connector. Some of the other connectors were loose and I’m not sure they were even crimped or compressed. I would have redone the connections if I had more access but instead tightened them all by hand and they felt snug. The red booster light came on and when I connected the antenna I was receiving a ton of stations, much better than ever before.

I won’t be able to test the cable TV input until our next camping trip and I don’t plan to use the satellite cable or TV2 cable. I’m not 100% confident in any of these connections but if I run into problems I know exactly where to look.

My recommendation is if you need to track down TV cable problems contact Customer Service in order to identify any intermediate connections and how the cables are run. GD Customer Service has always been very helpful.

Pete
    2017 F-250 Diesel
    2021 303RLS