User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New owner of a used 2021 2500RL

Really like this floor plan, two entrances, pass-through bathroom, and the full-size queen!

I am wondering what I should double check before hitting the road with this new to me trailer?

I’m concerned about the china tires…should I be? Should I increase the size to get load range E tires? That a concern?

Are there some mods I should do before traveling to make this a better experience for the DW? I am more concerned about reliability and comfort for her than reasonable expenses….

Any feedback would sure be appreciated!
    2021 Grand Design 2500RL
    Pulled by GMC 3500 duramax

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarddroid View Post
    Really like this floor plan, two entrances, pass-through bathroom, and the full-size queen!

I am wondering what I should double check before hitting the road with this new to me trailer?

I’m concerned about the china tires…should I be? Should I increase the size to get load range E tires? That a concern?

Are there some mods I should do before traveling to make this a better experience for the DW? I am more concerned about reliability and comfort for her than reasonable expenses….

So tell us a bit more about how you acquired your coach. Was this a private sale or did you purchase from a dealer? How much use has the coach had? Did you do a thorough pre-delivery inspection (https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...s-(Multiple))?

If the coach has been lightly used and everything is working as expected, I'd wait until you've had a few outings before making any major changes. Have you RVed much before? If not you might want your first outing to be close to home, for us that was our driveway.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    So tell us a bit more about how you acquired your coach. Was this a private sale or did you purchase from a dealer? How much use has the coach had? Did you do a thorough pre-delivery inspection (https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...s-(Multiple))?

If the coach has been lightly used and everything is working as expected, I'd wait until you've had a few outings before making any major changes. Have you RVed much before? If not you might want your first outing to be close to home, for us that was our driveway.
    Good morning!

This is my 3rd travel trailer however the first since I sold the class A. So it’s been a few years since I’ve used a travel trailer.

Trailer is extremely clean. I have run all the appliances, water pump, hooked up to city water and power. Everything works as it should with no leaks or issues that I can see.

The only real concern I have is the axles and tires. It has been sitting as a bedroom on a lake cabin for a year. Tires were covered and there is no checking or noticeable damage…but they are China made and close to weight capacity…

Anyway, thought to ask those more experienced with this brand to see what if any mods I should make right away.

Trailer pulls like a dream behind the Duramax and I’m getting twice the mileage that I did on the Class A so that’s good!
    2021 Grand Design 2500RL

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning!

This is my 3rd travel trailer however the first since I sold the class A. So it’s been a few years since I’ve used a travel trailer.

Trailer is extremely clean. I have run all the appliances, water pump, hooked up to city water and power. Everything works as it should with no leaks or issues that I can see.

The only real concern I have is the axles and tires. It has been sitting as a bedroom on a lake cabin for a year. Tires were covered and there is no checking or noticeable damage…but they are China made and close to weight capacity…

Anyway, thought to ask those more experienced with this brand to see what if any mods I should make right away.

Trailer pulls like a dream behind the Duramax and I’m getting twice the mileage that I did on the Class A so that’s good!
    The 2500RL is a great floor plan, I don't know how you camp so couldn't recommend any must-have mods. We like to camp off-grid, so our first investment was in a robust battery system. Are you a hook-ups all the time camper? How long are your trips?
    Stephen and Judy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I responded re: tires in the other thread.

I would check the springs to make sure they are not flat. Unfortunately until recently, GD (and most other manufacturers) sized their axles and springs too close to GVWR less tongue weight for my liking.

If springs are not yet flat, consider installing Sumo Springs to help with weight, impacts, and clearance ("bump stops") for 225 tires (if you go that route). I believe these will help keep springs from flattening. They are not cheap for what they are but...buy once cry once.

I would check the spring hangers very closely for signs of stress or cracks. Might consider having V braces welded into the spring hangers. I did not because I don't have a welder. Instead, I installed X-Factor Cross Braces at all three spring hangers to distribute the lateral force of turning.

Before hitting the road, I'd repack the bearings with grease and inspect the bearings and /races.

Those are the main mechanical things I'd check for that could seriously impact any trip. The suggestions for staying close for the first run and thorough inspection are right on point.

Enjoy the new rig!
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    The 2500RL is a great floor plan, I don't know how you camp so couldn't recommend any must-have mods. We like to camp off-grid, so our first investment was in a robust battery system. Are you a hook-ups all the time camper? How long are your trips?
    Thank you! We will be doing a little boondocking at state parks but mostly Rv parks.
    2021 Grand Design 2500RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jproctor9 View Post
    I responded re: tires in the other thread.

I would check the springs to make sure they are not flat. Unfortunately until recently, GD (and most other manufacturers) sized their axles and springs too close to GVWR less tongue weight for my liking.

If springs are not yet flat, consider installing Sumo Springs to help with weight, impacts, and clearance ("bump stops") for 225 tires (if you go that route). I believe these will help keep springs from flattening. They are not cheap for what they are but...buy once cry once.

I would check the spring hangers very closely for signs of stress or cracks. Might consider having V braces welded into the spring hangers. I did not because I don't have a welder. Instead, I installed X-Factor Cross Braces at all three spring hangers to distribute the lateral force of turning.

Before hitting the road, I'd repack the bearings with grease and inspect the bearings and /races.

Those are the main mechanical things I'd check for that could seriously impact any trip. The suggestions for staying close for the first run and thorough inspection are right on point.

Enjoy the new rig!
    Perfect! Thank you. I’ll check these things out. I do have a welder so I can make these repairs if they are needed.

I will need to study up on repacking wheel bearings…been awhile since I have done that little job!
    2021 Grand Design 2500RL

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Sumo springs
    Stephen and Judy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these what you folks are recommending? My springs look great. Even with one axle jacked up there is plenty of clearance….

SumoSprings Trailer Helper Springs w/ Line Relocation Bracket - Single Axle - 3K to 5K - Overslung

2 sets needed I’m a guessin’
    2021 Grand Design 2500RL

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these what you folks are recommending? My springs look great. Even with one axle jacked up there is plenty of clearance….

SumoSprings Trailer Helper Springs w/ Line Relocation Bracket - Single Axle - 3K to 5K - Overslung

2 sets needed I’m a guessin’
    These are the ones I got (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083T6NTQL/), they work very well on my Reflection. I accidentally left my tea cup on the counter, even after traversing a construction site it was still in place at our next stop. Yes, two sets.
    Stephen and Judy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast