User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had an issue with the Fresh Water tank dropping with about 1/2 to 1/3 fill on a trip with our 2018 295RL a couple years ago in Louisiana. The support rail running lengthwise supporting the tank sheared the two cap screws on the right side of the RV frame. The bracket on each end had 4 holes but only two cap screws each. Needless to say I reinstalled the rail with 3 stainless bolts on each bracket. I could not install the 4th on each end due to the rail's installation. Grand Design asked if the Fresh Water tank had water. They did not recommend water to be carried. They did supply the replacement tank and coroplast. Check your support rail and make sure the brackets are tight and have the correct number of cap screws or bolts.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my reply. The issue was dealing with Grand Design and locating an RV Center for repairs. The earliest was 4 months wait. I ended up doing the repair myself. After some commo, Grand Design did provide the parts as part of their Goodwill. The 5th Wheel was purchased as used from an RV Sales in Texas.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad777 View Post
    I always traveled with water until I attended a Grand Design Rally. We were told that due to the weight of the water, we should avoid traveling with a full tank since it could cause the brackets that hold the tank to fail. This makes sense, but shouldn't Grand Design make the brackets stronger so that the weight can be supported? Has anyone else heard of this?
    I also read Jayco, Forest River and Keystone forums only because some neighbors and friends own those brands. I have read several complaints about the fresh water tank or the black tank support brackets failing on those and most recently someone showed pics of their fresh water tank deforming when full. It was so bad, it was flopped over each side rail. The owner elected not to replace that factory tank with an OEM tank and instead installed a Recpro brand tank. No issues. since installation.
    2019 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW
    Reese Goosebox 20-k

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 440scout View Post
    I also read Jayco, Forest River and Keystone forums only because some neighbors and friends own those brands. I have read several complaints about the fresh water tank or the black tank support brackets failing on those and most recently someone showed pics of their fresh water tank deforming when full. It was so bad, it was flopped over each side rail. The owner elected not to replace that factory tank with an OEM tank and instead installed a Recpro brand tank. No issues. since installation.
    I should have added that holding tank support failures happen once in a while on those other brands but rarely on Grand Design campers.
    2019 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW
    Reese Goosebox 20-k

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 440scout View Post
    I should have added that holding tank support failures happen once in a while on those other brands but rarely on Grand Design campers.
    At least on the Forest river I have only heard of tank issues on the smaller / lower end units.

One bad thing about the enclosed bellies is any inspection is almost impossible.

I will continue to travel with a full tank.

I do wonder if a partial tank may be worse then a full tank, yes it saves weight but a partial tank would have a lot more sloshing and no idea what the dynamic loads that would be.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will water leak from overflow while driving? We are new owners, had full water tank, then long drive - 4 different passes in Wa/Or including slow hairpin turns and after arriving and minimal use in evening, I believe tank gauge was at 1/3 next morning. Valve avoid this?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cougharris View Post
    Valve avoid this?
    On most models, if you just put a valve on the overflow for travelling & forget to crawl under & open it when you park & start pumping, you'll collapse your tank.

I did the mod posted here .. it works perfectly to prevent siphoning.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post181317
    signature

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice & the link to the fix. Crazy that manufacturers don't do something to avoid this issue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    At least on the Forest river I have only heard of tank issues on the smaller / lower end units.

One bad thing about the enclosed bellies is any inspection is almost impossible.

I will continue to travel with a full tank.

I do wonder if a partial tank may be worse then a full tank, yes it saves weight but a partial tank would have a lot more sloshing and no idea what the dynamic loads that would be.
    Weather you've got a high end or low end ultra light, holding tank support brackets should not be failing. The point I was making is that those tank support brackets rarely fail on Grand Design campers but its more common on those other brands I mentioned.
    There have been many ideas posted on here about how to close up the underbelly and so far my favorite is putting a 1"x4" across the underbelly to the lip on the frame rail each side then use fender washers and wood screws to refasten the coroplast to the 1"x4" along each side. That way if you need to access for other repairs later, its much easier to refasten the coroplast.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased one of the inexpensive water meters that hook to your hose to let you know how much water has been used. I had read of people having a siphon issue when they fill their tanks full and wanted to avoid that issue. I filled my fresh water tank and found that my 60 gal tank only holds 49 gals before coming out the overflow. Knowing this, if I fill at home I only put in 47 gals. Gives me almost a full tank and no siphon action. I have never had an issue with water leakage. I also paid attention to how much water in the tank would trigger the lights on the panel. Found that the 2/3 full light comes on at 34 gallons. So if I am on the road and need to fill full I only put in 13 gals after the 2/3 light comes on.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast