User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love my snap pads. I found that they do give a little more thickness to the jacks (I had to reposition mine on the frame), but that's not the big advantage.

I boondock & overnight @ rest areas so I need something that'll work on uneven and loose surfaces. Plus I really don't want more stuff to deal with when setting up or breaking down camp. Lastly, I kind of find the buckets visually unappealing, but that's just me it seems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210804_075717.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	46433
    signature

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Snap Pads would seem like they would make the most sense when used on an unfirm surface. However I see that distance from the cylinder to the ground, and I think that would make the trailer more wiggle prone. I don't know if it's true, but it would seem a shorter extension of the leg would be more stable. JMO anyway. Yeah, the Andersen buckets aren't the most visually appealing, but it's one of those "function over form" instances.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    I really love my snap pads. I found that they do give a little more thickness to the jacks (I had to reposition mine on the frame), but that's not the big advantage.

I boondock & overnight @ rest areas so I need something that'll work on uneven and loose surfaces. Plus I really don't want more stuff to deal with when setting up or breaking down camp. Lastly, I kind of find the buckets visually unappealing, but that's just me it seems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210804_075717.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	46433
    X2 My reasons exactly
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abandoned Anderson Blocks for Safety

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    X2 My reasons exactly

I have used the Snappads and Anderson buckets. I will not use wood anymore.

I like the Anderson buckets because they nest inside each other for storage and travel and they reduce stabilizing jack extension. However, I have personally experienced bulging of the sides of the buckets due to weight in hot weather, cracking and splintering of the top ring around the steel jack-pad during cold weather, cracking due to weight, and sinking into soft ground - wet or dry. Additionally, it was rare that I could use all six due to stroking out the end of my jacks when leveling. The front and rear jacks were habitual about that. At $49 apiece, its expensive paperweight not to be using them. They do not work well on heavy rigs or motorhomes.

I like Snappads because you don't have to do anything to them after you install them, they provide a slightly wider footprint, and keep the steel bottom plate of the jacks off the ground and minimize mud and dirt on the steel bottom plate. They work well on heavy rigs and motorhomes. However, they do NOT provide any tangible hight differential to reduce stabilizing jack extensions, and I have knocked one off twice and had to re-install it. Also, if you need to re-torque the steel jack bottom plate attaching bolt it has to be removed. Also, I see some pooling of water on top of the steel foot when using Snappads.

I will not use wood anymore for several reasons. I will easily conceded they are cost effective and widely available to anyone with tools. It works well on heavy rigs and motorhomes. Additionally, by it isn't rocket science to carry enough cribbing to achieve any JENGA configuration desired for the most flexible height adjustments. For that matter, you could crib up two meters in height if you had too. They are cheap if you leave them behind accidentally. However they are typically heavy, multiple wood cribbing pieces to stack or store and be knocked around do not make for compact and organized storage, and I don't want to be troubled dealing with wood falling over or sliding around. Additionally, they will crack, hold water and rot.

As for the problem of keeping mud or dirt off the hydraulic cylinders I read somewhere in this thread, mine rarely anything of significance on them. With the inspections and routine maintenance I do, it wouldn't be a problem anyway since I inspect, clean and use a dry lubricant on them routinely including the last 24 hours before each travel day.

Thats my story. But, I get it. To each his own preference. Use what makes you comfortable and keeps you smiling and stays within your budget.
    2020 Solitude 373FB-R,
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 DRW Long Bed,
    TST 570 TPMS, MORryde Pinbox, B&W 25K Companion, Garmin RV785MT

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    However I see that distance from the cylinder to the ground, and I think that would make the trailer more wiggle prone.
    I thought that as well - especially at the place where I took that picture. But the trailer wasn't unstable at all - mostly because this was the only jack anywhere close to full stroke. The other 5 were either about mid-way, and the opposite corner (left front) was barely extended at all.

I can't think of a place I've been where all 6 jacks were extended far enough to create instability. Maybe if I parked cross-ways on a 3 track road??
    signature

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use snap pads and also like them. They do several things (for us). Protect the landing feet from getting scratched up and rusted. Prior to using snap pads, our original feet looked like they were drugged over gravel and needed to be occasionaly grinded, sanded and repainted. Havent had to do so since using them.

Second, they work great for quick leveling on areas that are fairly level, especially single over night stays on concrete.

We still use blocks for those challenging non-level sites..... and the snap pads work good there as well on top of the blocks. No slip and plenty of grip.

More or less, protection from rough surfaces and quick overnight Cracker Barrel or parking lots stays.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123