User Tag List

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel front jacks

I don't have any problems with my jacks, but I'm curious how far the manual pin part of the front jack can safely be extended. I don't know how long that manual drop leg is...so occasionally I'm wondering, how far is too far?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I'd keep at least 3-4 inches in the leg. But shorter is better, which is why using blocks to shorten the leg extension is a good idea. Makes things steadier.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If it were me, I'd keep at least 3-4 inches in the leg. But shorter is better, which is why using blocks to shorten the leg extension is a good idea. Makes things steadier.
    +1 I always use blocks and extend the adjustable leg about 4-5 holes.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I agree with you there...but....how do I know how much is left in the leg? I don't know how long that manual drop piece is. Like is it possible for the leg to drop right out if you got the nose high enough? Is there a pin inside that stops the manual leg from overextending?
    I had the legs at nine holes a few weeks ago...which made me wonder.........which made me post this thread.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    +1 I always use blocks and extend the adjustable leg about 4-5 holes.
    +2. Do the same thing as ROC and Hoopy. Makes for a better stable camp setup.

We aso use JT Strong Arms on front legs and rear stabilizers. Takes up more "other" play - never grt rid of it all without puting the rig on cinder blocks IMO.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I agree with you there...but....how do I know how much is left in the leg? I don't know how long that manual drop piece is. Like is it possible for the leg to drop right out if you got the nose high enough? Is there a pin inside that stops the manual leg from overextending?
    I had the legs at nine holes a few weeks ago...which made me wonder.........which made me post this thread.
    If your that high in the front legs, definitely want blocks or something else taking up the space.

We dont go past 7 holes with our Strong Arms and blocks. And if I remember correctly, they can eventually drop out - no pin atleast in our electric 4pt auto level legs, just slide in.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 05-16-2023 at 07:57 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Yes, I see your point. The only way to really know is to pull the inner legs out at some point and mark them. The inner leg should drop out at some point, AFAIK there is nothing keeping the leg inside.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use blocking when at a place I'm going to stay for a while. The time I was referring to was staying connected to the TV in a sloped location for a quick overnighter in a 'make do' location. You know...the kind that never fails to impress your wife.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997