User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    I have my garmin 890 mounted in a cup holder in the console and tire minder also in the console. Small camera monitor is only thing on the dash just below the rear view mirror. I don’t want stuff blocking my view.
    What cup holder mount do you have? I tried one of the Amazon specials for my 890 and it rocked all around and wasn’t close to stable.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I wrapped a strong rubber band around my Furion monitor and my Tireminder I10 monitor and wrap them around my rear view mirror. Keeps them up and out out of the way, the logical place for a rear view too and can glance at the tire pressures easily.

My ball mounts are a Garmin RV890 and an old iPhone 6 running ForScan lite to monitor some engine/transmission functions I like to keep an eye on.
    How did you run the power cables to the mirror?
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    And easier to see means they're easier to look at, which takes attention away from the road. Up in that area, they catch the eye and draw your attention to them. IMO fewer distractions are better.
    I don't know how you get away without a GPS and tire monitor at a minimum. The rear camera is no different than a mirror.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    35+ years camping

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a GPS, and a tire monitor. The GPS is down out of direct line of sight, but near the top of the dash. Since it has voice directions, I don't need to look at it but infrequently. It is just a flick of the eye away, but not so much that it's a distraction. The tire monitor has no need to be looked at, it has alert noises if there is an issue with the tires. And Peggy tends to watch the tire monitor. A lot can happen when you're not paying attention to what's in front of you, and what's happening up the road half a dozen cars. I'm always looking ahead, and way ahead, one of the reasons I hate having a semi truck in front of me. Too many years of touring on motorcycles, and watching for all the doofusses out to kill you.

As for the rear view camera, like Raul Julia said: "The first rule of italian driving, what's behind me is not important".
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 05-22-2023 at 08:01 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I do have a GPS, and a tire monitor. The GPS is down out of direct line of sight, but near the top of the dash. Since it has voice directions, I don't need to look at it but infrequently. It is just a flick of the eye away, but not so much that it's a distraction. The tire monitor has no need to be looked at, it has alert noises if there is an issue with the tires. And Peggy tends to watch the tire monitor. A lot can happen when you're not paying attention to what's in front of you, and what's happening up the road half a dozen cars. I'm always looking ahead, and way ahead, one of the reasons I hate having a semi truck in front of me. Too many years of touring on motorcycles, and watching for all the doofusses out to kill you.
    I have a Solitude 376RD on order and it is going to have the Linc Tire monitor. The DW is going to have that job too. Other than that just the GPS front and center and the backup camera. I don't use the backup camera except when backing up or checking traffic behind me.
    35+ years camping

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    How did you run the power cables to the mirror?
    I charge my TireMinder monitor and don't use a cable. It lasts a long time (today for 9+ hours) so no need for a cable.

I ran my power for the monitor from a 12v source under the dash (fuse panel), up the A-pillar, and across the headliner along the top of the windshield.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    I don't know how you get away without a GPS and tire monitor at a minimum. The rear camera is no different than a mirror.
    Ya, makes one wonder how we got along all those years before the gps was invented...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Ya, makes one wonder how we got along all those years before the gps was invented...
    When lost, DW would unfold the paper map while driving and take up 2/3 of the windshield. LOL
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    What cup holder mount do you have? I tried one of the Amazon specials for my 890 and it rocked all around and wasn’t close to stable.
    I built a mount using a ceramic cup. Cut off the handle and used fiberglass mat and resin ( which I already had) and screwed the Garmin base into it. We can swivel the unit so my navigator can view or program it. The base is heavy and stabil enough that I can set the unit on the table and plug into my laptop for updates or programming

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    I traveled by motorcycle from the 70"s onward, using a tankbag and maps. There is no way I would ever want to go back to that. Love the GPS!!
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast