User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coroplast repair

I had to have a gray water dump valve, replaced while under warranty on my reflection. The dealership where I bought it accomplished that. They cut through the Coroplast belly of my camper and never sealed it up. I went back to them and they taped it up but it has come off and I have tried several different waterproof tapes, but nothing will stick. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair a slit of about 6 feet long in my Coroplast underbelly?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewRVer View Post
    I had to have a gray water dump valve, replaced while under warranty on my reflection. The dealership where I bought it accomplished that. They cut through the Coroplast belly of my camper and never sealed it up. I went back to them and they taped it up but it has come off and I have tried several different waterproof tapes, but nothing will stick. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair a slit of about 6 feet long in my Coroplast underbelly?
    I suggest scrim tape.

https://a.co/d/8qE0wfG

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mobile home underbelly repair tape has worked well for us - but you need to clean the Coroplast well with alcohol first.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewRVer View Post
    This idea will work depending on where the slit is. If it runs across the width of the unit, get a 1'x4" pine board cut to the length of the distance between the frame rails. This board will rest on the bottom of the frame supported on its ends by the botton lip of the frame. Next you need fender washers and your choice of screws. use them to go thru the coroplast into to board. 6-8 on each side of the slit should do it. Next time you need to get in there it will be easy
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I have ordered a roll of it and will try it out after cleaning the area real good with alcohol as Second chance has stated. Hopefully that works. If not I will resort to reinforcing with a 1x4 piece of pine as suggested by Huntingdog. Thanks for all of your replies.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the fact, but my coroplast was taken down twice for repair to a slide cylinder & dump valve replacement then reattached. A quality repair shop should do this. Cutting the underbelly is just the lazy way out.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn’t agree more. Do you have any suggestions for a quality repair shop? We are in South Florida.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Cutting the underbelly is just the lazy way out."

Agree, but the question is what to do after the fact. We, too, had a grey water dump valve replaced the day we bought the trailer, and the tech cut the belly skin. He put some sort of black, sticky patch on it, but that lasted only until we got back to The Ranch. I've tried a couple of different repairs, but none have held for more than a couple of travel days. We're talking about a factory tour in mid-September, so maybe I'll ask some questions then. In the meantime I'll order some of that tape mentioned above.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw - I've used Scrim tape a number of time. If the surface to be taped is cleaned using some alcohol it sticks and doesn't come off. Other tapes including Gorilla, doesn't seem to hold up.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same story, the prior owners let the dealer cut the membrane to access tank valve and put some tape on the cut. Part of the problem is some of the coroplast has a fabric membrane on the outside that makes taping it almost impossible.
    Being a retired ED Physician, I elected to "suture" the wound in the coroplast when we got the trailer.

Make small holes about 1.5 to 2" apart on both sides of the cut with an awl aligning them opposite each other. Then threaded some small zip ties through each of the hole pairs (in one side, across the cut on the inside and out the other side.) Do not zip them closed until you have all of them in because you will need the space to get between the sides of the cut to thread them. Use a long nose plier or similar to help you thread the ziptie from the inside back out the second hole. Then loosely start each ziptie loop to make sure they don't fall off while added silicon caulk to the cut trying to keep it mostly on the inside. Then zip up all the zipties just snug against the coroplast, cut the tails and put some caulk on the outside.
    Worked out great and DID NOT fall off or open up.

Maybe takes a little longer than slapping some tape on it but its a permanent fix. If you do have to get in there again you can always peal off the silicon and cut the "sutures".
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast