User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2023 Transcend, solar and refridgerator

Since I'm new, I might as well start off a new thread and hope I can get a response. We are looking at buying the 2023 Transcend 221RB. This would be my first experience with solar. Just a question, will the solar be enough to power the 12v refrigerator that comes standard with the unit, provided there is enough sun to make the needed power. I would like to be able to power the refridgerator for at least a couple hours without any other kind of power. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by radloser View Post
    Since I'm new, I might as well start off a new thread and hope I can get a response. We are looking at buying the 2023 Transcend 221RB. This would be my first experience with solar. Just a question, will the solar be enough to power the 12v refrigerator that comes standard with the unit, provided there is enough sun to make the needed power. I would like to be able to power the refridgerator for at least a couple hours without any other kind of power. Thanks in advance.
    The solar does not power the fridge, the 12 volt battery does. The solar keeps the battery charged, as well as when you are plugged in to 110 power, and also while driving your tow vehicle (provided it has a charge line active).
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood, but with a full battery, can the solar potentially provide enough power to keep the battery charged and fridge operating? Maybe that was a better way to ask the question.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood, but with a full battery, can the solar potentially provide enough power to keep the battery charged and fridge operating? Maybe that was a better way to ask the question.
    Yes, but remember, there are a lot of items that also run off the battery like lights, water pump, furnace, radio, slide out motors.

There are a lot of conditions that can cause variation in how long it can run things. If you are considering travel time, or an overnight, no problem.

Couple days of boondocking, probably not.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Yes, but remember, there are a lot of items that also run off the battery like lights, water pump, furnace, radio, slide out motors.

There are a lot of conditions that can cause variation in how long it can run things. If you are considering travel time, or an overnight, no problem.

Couple days of boondocking, probably not.
    That's exactly what I was considering! Thanks for the response and the help. Since you work for an RV dealer, what's your favorite weight distribution hitch?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably, depends on the size of the solar panel, amount of daylight, and how much other stuff is using 12V. A couple hours shouldn't be a problem. And also depends on the size of your battery/ies.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly what I was considering! Thanks for the response and the help. Since you work for an RV dealer, what's your favorite weight distribution hitch?
    We use the Blue Ox Sway Pro a lot and also the Equalizer E4.

The cream of the crop is the Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride hitch, but is very expensive.
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just driving to and from campgrounds you will have no problems with the 12V fridge, battery and solar. If you want to boondock overnight then you'll need more solar and at least 2 good batteries. Boondocking for 2-3 nights then keep adding solar and get 4 batteries.
    If you're just traveling to an elect hookup site then you will be fine. If you lost power for the fridge for 3-4 hours everything will still be fine inside the fridge. You only need a few hours for cool down with a 12V compressor fridge vs 24 hrs for an absorption fridge.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, since you're new here let me welcome you to the forum. As you've seen, plenty of knowledgeable folks here are willing to help out. Let us know how you make out with the Transcend purchase. And yes, as others have said, even the stock 12-volt battery can run the 12-volt refrigerator for several hours. Given good sun the solar will recharge the battery.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    We use the Blue Ox Sway Pro a lot and also the Equalizer E4.

The cream of the crop is the Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride hitch, but is very expensive.
    Hensley Arrow and ProPride histches may be expensive, but worth every penny! Both hold their value very well and both can be obtained used. We bought our Arrow refurbished directly from Hensley and it came with a lifetime warranty. We've been using our Hensely for 4 years and could not be happier. We just re-installed it on our new Imagine 2670MK.

As for the 12V Furion frig. We like the added space and the fact that is cools down so quickly, but I'd still rather have the ability to run it on gas, because the frig uses a lot of battery power. I'm currently looking into adding Lithium batteries and possibly adding additional solar panels. I have to say that I was shocked at the $600 price tage for another 165W Furion solar panel. I could by three 200W panels for the same price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast