User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been on the road for 3 months with our transcend 221rb. I went with a Reese hitch and have found it satisfactory. Solor has done it's job. The only thing I would suggest is make sure your trailer is balanced. Furrion fridge is fickle.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Just driving to and from campgrounds you will have no problems with the 12V fridge, battery and solar. If you want to boondock overnight then you'll need more solar and at least 2 good batteries. Boondocking for 2-3 nights then keep adding solar and get 4 batteries.
    If you're just traveling to an elect hookup site then you will be fine. If you lost power for the fridge for 3-4 hours everything will still be fine inside the fridge. You only need a few hours for cool down with a 12V compressor fridge vs 24 hrs for an absorption fridge.
    We have had no issue keeping the fridge going multiple days with 2x group 24 (see: small) batteries and solar charging them. Done it a few times and the batteries would stay charged on sunny days without issue. No issues traveling either.

We were using very little other power when we have done this, but we plan to. I’m not adding capacity until/if we need it (and we have a generator so can always run that.)

Based on the question, I think you’ll be fine as it comes. I would (and did) simply add a second battery if the dealer tries to send you away with a single group 24. If they give you a better battery, the second might not be needed, but I think two group 27s or 31s will fit if you want extra (almost double the capacity of my setup). Simplest answer unless you plan to spend long periods of time without power.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we thinking the good old propane fridge we used to know and love.. is history? this goes for water heaters with a tank too.

hard to believe we're being forced to use a camper that would require a generator or many batteries for any long term boondocking

i ask as there are times i'd like to just go to the hills, and find a shady spot to park.
    Last edited by gfl123; 05-28-2023 at 09:34 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfl123 View Post
    Are we thinking the good old propane fridge we used to know and love.. is history? this goes for water heaters with a tank too.

hard to believe we're being forced to use a camper that would require a generator or many batteries for any long term boondocking

i ask as there are times i'd like to just go to the hills, and find a shady spot to park.
    Times they are a changin. I had a Norcold in my 2019 and it failed at 1.5 years. Out of warranty. I wasn't going to play the parts replacing game and drop money in a possible relic. For less money than a new Norcold replacement I got a GE 9.8 cu.ft 12V fridge with 2 cu.ft more space and a much more reliable simplistic operating system. I guess for some that already have a decent solar package or are intending on upgrading theirs, switching to 12VDC is a no brainer. I can see the dilemma though for those on the fence with solar and battery capacity. I just look at it like buying anything else. The market dictates what we get to choose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12