User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove bug stains from 5th wheel nose

I've tried to do a search on removing bugs from the nose of a 5th wheel but I get about 500 threads on everything from greasing the suspension to leveling problems. I can get the bug carcass off, and since my nose has a lot of black paint, I can still see "stains" where the bugs were. Can someone help me with this?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by saguido; 05-17-2023 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Description of problem
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2018 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Bed Duramax
    B&W Companion Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goof off works well, but what will help them not stick on the first place is a teflon or ceramic wax job.

Our 295RL cap is off white and we have had it ceramic waxed. Bugs come off easier when washing since the ceramic waxing. We also use Totaly Awesome cleaner to help remove any stains and marks on the gel coat. You can get it at Dollar General.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I put the Griots Ceramic wax ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/ceramic-3-in-1-wax/ ) on last year so the new bugs come off much easier. My problem is there is still residue, or what looks like stains, that I'm afraid might be "baked into" the finish. I'm very concerned about getting to rough with this because I don't want to ruin the finish.
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2018 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Bed Duramax
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that washing it without a pre-rinse works better since it will be hot from sun exposure, assuming you have sun, lol
    Pre-rinse cools it down and the bugs stick more so.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Goof off works well, but what will help them not stick on the first place is a teflon or ceramic wax job.

Our 295RL cap is off white and we have had it ceramic waxed. Bugs come off easier when washing since the ceramic waxing. We also use Totaly Awesome cleaner to help remove any stains and marks on the gel coat. You can get it at Dollar General.
    This is how i do it also best thing so far !
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saguido View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I put the Griots Ceramic wax ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/ceramic-3-in-1-wax/ ) on last year so the new bugs come off much easier. My problem is there is still residue, or what looks like stains, that I'm afraid might be "baked into" the finish. I'm very concerned about getting to rough with this because I don't want to ruin the finish.
    We have used fine cut polishing compound (has fine grit in it) to clean bug and bird poop stains on both gel coat and painted finishes. If that doesnt cut it, have used various grits of sand paper and wet sanded gel coat. Had a '66 Shelby replica gel coat car, started wet sanding with 200 and skiped 200 each time until 1500 then used panty hose on both stains and 1/32" scratches - then polished with meguires afterward - made it look like new once finished. Would recommed if you can't get the fine cut polish to work.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using dryer sheets in dawn dish soap. Cleans off the bugs fast with very little effort. Then just rinse off

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TsWalker View Post
    Try using dryer sheets in dawn dish soap. Cleans off the bugs fast with very little effort. Then just rinse off
    Totally agree. Best thing ever. Been doing this for years.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A step or two milder than the fine polishing compound, but removes less issues, is a cleaner wax like Nu Finish paste. You likely are hoping for something that takes less effort, though. The more it is rubbed when wet the more it will remove. As far as waxes go, it is easy to use but you have a lot of area to work with.

Some decal manufactures say to not wax decals. I do not know if this just applies to the edges or the whole decal.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 05-22-2023 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Totally agree. Best thing ever. Been doing this for years.
    As long as you recoat with good wax as Dawn soap will cut through all the wax.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast