User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing a heavy trailer in the driveway - can it be done?

I have just sold my bumper pull travel trailer and purchased a much larger 5th wheel GD Momentum 336M. I stored the old travel trailer in the driveway with no issues (no damage to the driveway), however the new trailer is significantly heavier (going from 7,000 lbs to 17,000 lbs). Are there ways to distribute the load to prevent sinking (plywood, 2" PT lumber etc) ? Also, how much of the load is taken over by the levelling system once deployed? My driveway is the typical residential asphalt driveway (4" thick). Thanks

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a read on the interweb for a standard 4" pour:

"Concrete driveways are typically poured four inches thick, giving the concrete driveway enough strength to withstand loads of regular vehicles (up to approximately 8,000lbs)."
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safe bet is always to spread the load. When we move a heavy machine over questionable concrete we throw down a plate to distribute the weight. Boards under the levelers wouldnt hurt.
    2023 Reflection 280RS
    2022 GMC 2500HD Denali
    Many memories to be made..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Putting pieces of board under the feet of the levelers will help prevent marring the driveway surface, over time those steel feet will leave permanent marks. The boards will also prevent rust stains on the asphalt. Larger boards will mean less chance of marks in the asphalt. Boards under the trailer tires is also a good idea. I would use 2X12’s a couple of feet long under the jack feet and a longer piece under the tires on each side.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your driveway concrete or asphalt? The answers above are all correct for concrete, but your post states your driveway is asphalt which much softer, particularly in the summer in direct sunlight.
    2021 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW with Air Lift springs
    B&W Companion Slider
    2021 Solitude 375RES-R w/ disc brakes
    Formerly REI 6 man tent

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stored my rig in the driveway for a couple of years, as close the edge as possible so as to give clearance to the middle garage bay. I did use wood under the curb side (edge of the drive way) tires and under all leveling legs. The board under the tires was two 2x10's about 10 feet long to level the trailer side to side. I now store the trailer out back under its carport. Where it was parked in the driveway caused the asphalt to sink almost 2 inches and crack about 16" in from the edge. More than likely the asphalt is not thick enough along that edge (although I was 6" in from the actual edge)causing the issue. Just be aware of the possible ramifications. A wider wooden base may have, probably would have, prevented my issue. I like it better out back anyway - it's protected.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had our driveway poured for where the trailer goes we had 6" of concrete put down and haven't had a problem with it.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 11-13-2023 at 08:18 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a civil engr…all I can give you is some “life experience” hauling grain and heavy equipment. It’s likely going to depend on your base under the asphalt and soil type where you live. If you are rocky, you might be fine. If your topsoil is deep over clay, and the asphalt was laid on top, you are probably doomed to crack it. The driveways for grain bin sites where I put down a 2” rock base with CA6 roadpack to lock it in place have been perfect for 20+ years. CA6 by itself is a disaster.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daltontrio View Post
    Is your driveway concrete or asphalt? The answers above are all correct for concrete, but your post states your driveway is asphalt which much softer, particularly in the summer in direct sunlight.
    It's asphalt with an interlock edge. In order to allow access to the second garage bay, the left side wheels and stabilizers will be placed partially on the interlock stone.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serban View Post
    I have just sold my bumper pull travel trailer and purchased a much larger 5th wheel GD Momentum 336M. I stored the old travel trailer in the driveway with no issues (no damage to the driveway), however the new trailer is significantly heavier (going from 7,000 lbs to 17,000 lbs). Are there ways to distribute the load to prevent sinking (plywood, 2" PT lumber etc) ? Also, how much of the load is taken over by the levelling system once deployed? My driveway is the typical residential asphalt driveway (4" thick). Thanks
    My experience is that you will damage the asphalt without laying down something to spread the weight.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast