User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank sensor

Why does my black tank sensor show 3/4t o completely full when I am sure it is empty. The tank has has nothing but urine in it, no paper or #2 . How do I fix this? This is on a 2019 TT imagine 2600RB.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuche1 View Post
    Why does my black tank sensor show 3/4t o completely full when I am sure it is empty. The tank has has nothing but urine in it, no paper or #2 . How do I fix this? This is on a 2019 TT imagine 2600RB.
    Black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate. It may be that some foreign substance has hardened on the sensor. Getting it clean can be challenging. You could try Dawn detergent. Others have had success with the wand you stick down the toilet to rinse the tank walls. The best practice is to rigorously clean the tank each time you dump it.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate. It may be that some foreign substance has hardened on the sensor. Getting it clean can be challenging. You could try Dawn detergent. Others have had success with the wand you stick down the toilet to rinse the tank walls. The best practice is to rigorously clean the tank each time you dump it.
    We gave up on the sensors, and have developed a sense for when the tank needs to be dumped. But TBH we don't boondock either, so it isn't all that important.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is normal. Those sensors are next to useless. We find that we can tell a day or 3 before the tank gets to the burp stage just by the sound when you flush. When it starts to burb, we can usually go another day or 2 before we have to dump.
    Full time 4 years and counting.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with others that the sensors are pretty useless. If there's time I fill and drain the tank a couple of times when dumping it. The gray tank fills up first anyway and the sensors in that one are less of a problem. You can look down in the toilet and see the level of the tank anyway, if you have the water shut off.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS350 View Post
    Agree with others that the sensors are pretty useless. If there's time I fill and drain the tank a couple of times when dumping it. The gray tank fills up first anyway and the sensors in that one are less of a problem. You can look down in the toilet and see the level of the tank anyway, if you have the water shut off.
    Thanks for the reply

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Thank you for the information

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuchel1, you don't say what trailer you have, so this may not apply to you. Our Reflection has a sprayer in the black tank. When I dump I use that until the water coming out of the tank is clear for a minute or two. If you have one of those, try using it each time you dump for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. If not, you can get a clear plastic tube with a hose attachment like this: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Degr...%2C193&sr=8-52 that will let you use a hose to clean out the tanks.

The other think I noticed is something that is common to many trailers. The dump is always on the road side (driver's side) and often the head of the bed is on that side, too. Most people want the bed at least level, if not with the head slightly elevated. The drains, though, need that side low in order to work properly. One night we were at a campground just for the one night and needed to dump then (FHU site). We misread the level and accidentally had the road side low. That's the only time since we bought the trailer that the black tank has shown empty. Yes, we were a bit uncomfortable sleeping that night, but we got through it.

Our previous FT coach was a Foretravel, which uses the air suspension for leveling. Since I dump when I arrive, I would often deliberately put the driver's side low, dump, then level.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sensors on our 2600 RB went wrong after 6 trips too. I thought that maybe GD somehow used a better sensor but not the case . Some folks may poo hoo this but I recently changed out my sensors for the Valterra Horst Miracle probes. This was the 4th trailer I've done this with and they have worked perfectly on the other trailers ( along with proper cleaning of the black tank). Every time I have taken out the old buttons ( sensors ) they had a hard black crust on them which causes the problem. The 2600 was the hardest one to do since the bottom is enclosed and the GD customer service folks couldn't tell me where the probes were located. Finally found out the probes come installed in the tank from the mfg. and they are on the drivers side , above and a little behind the black tank valve. ( Just the opposite from what one of the GD customer service folks told me ! ) It took 3 calls to get the location. I cut 2 flaps in the chloroplast and had to remove some of the caulking around the black pipe where it comes out of the bottom. Some mobile home repair tape and 3M #77 glue and Sika Flex 221 and all is good. Have been 3 x so far this year and they are working like a charm. No matter how well they work, the black tank has to be flushed very well every time . I do use HD Dawn in the tank several x every year also.
    2022 2600 RB , Road Armor + wet bolt and heavy shackle kit
    2021 Ram 1500 Premier, 5.7 E Torque , 3.91 rear end, trailering kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast