User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg thanks so much for your very informative explanation on how gain access to the electric motor retaining screw. I have the exact same issue with my bedroom Swhwintek slide and have been pondering (racking my brain) for a means of access to that motor retaining screw, prayers answered.

Thanks again, Mike
    MikeK NY
    2016 Momentum 380TH
    2012 Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
    B&W 20K Companion
    2003 Road King

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up. That was some serious thinking outside the box. Did you happen to try and manually push the slide open after you had the motor removed? Just still curious why the slide was not able to be pushed. Can you imagine what a dealer would cost to try and tackle that problem?
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MikeK & Iorend for your positive comments.

After removing the defective motor I could easily push out / move that side without assistance .. the other side with the still operating motor still in place can not be manually moved.. with or without harness connected. I’m replacing both motors. I’ll post pictures of that original motor once it’s removed/replaced.

The motor gear section was badly corroded, and this would explain why no amount of pushing would move the slide … I expect to find corrosion in the still operating motor ..
    Last edited by Greg_C; 06-08-2023 at 01:43 PM.
    Greg & Barb
    Halifax NS Canada
    2018 Imagine 2400BH
    2004 Dodge Ram XLT 2500HD CTD HO, RWD LB, super springs

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update..

I was able to install one of my new motors into the slideout this evening.. here is how I did it…

First I took a picture of the area where the end of the shaft end of the motor drops into … you will see in the picture the slide coupling with a flat spot that the motor shaft flat needs to fit into.. there are also four small holes for the four threaded pins on the motor that also need to drop into

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1B3C0F3-959B-4850-9511-62A391F3F5E3.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	46809

Here is picture of motor showing the shaft with flat spot and pins being referred to..

Name:	26F7BD82-4BA4-4878-B551-8D6DF86E5EE9.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	585.8 KB 
ID:	46810

I then manually pushed the slide out just a bit.. about an inch .. this causes the slide coupling you see in picture above to rotate counter clockwise on the left side a bit , and then I took another picture of the coupling noting the new position of the flat spot relative to the four pins .

You will also see that I also pushed some axle grease down into the spot that the motor shaft needs to drop into …

Name:	D7907A75-4BC7-4B38-80D5-94A1734137F8.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	46807

I then temporarily attached the new motor to the controller cable and also temporarily disconnected the still working motor from the controller… and then I used the slide switch in/out switch to rotate the motor shaft to the approximate position where the flat spot on the motor shaft is in the same relative position corresponding to what is shown in the above picture , while also taking into consideration the position where the harness will be exiting from the top of slide frame when the motor is installed .. ( I chose to position the harness so it will be positioned directly across from the side of the slide out) .. once I had the flat spots approximately in same position it was time to install the motor..

I then disconnected the harness from the new motor, and started the motor install.. first inserting the harness end into the slide frame so it’s positioned directly opposite the side of the slide out.. the black heat shrink makes it a bit of a tight fit.. as i pushed the motor up into the slide frame … a long flat screw driver was helpful to adjust/move the motor slightly as i pushed it up .. I found the motor needs to be pushed upwards at a slight angle until the end of the shaft of the motor clears the edge of the slideout that holds the slide coupling… I also used a block of wood and rubber mallet to gently nudge the motor upwards to clear this edge … and then I pushed the motor shaft over until it dropped down into the coupling cavity.. almost there but not quite.. as the motor will not drop down fully until all four pins and the flat spots all line up… this is where I first rotated the motor slightly so I could see that the threaded pin closest to me was directly over the hole it needs to drop into ..

Name:	97A7127F-8789-4036-B3F5-BF1C2EC3C6C1.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	951.4 KB 
ID:	46808

I then manually pushed and pulled a bit on the slide out while at the same time pushing down on the motor until I managed to get the two flat spots perfectly lined up and the motor dropped fully down into place .. :-) …

I then went to the exterior corner of the slide out, removed the plastic molded piece, and reinstalled the exterior retaining screw .. btw the replacement motors have slots in four places covered with black heat shrink that will accept the retaining screw, no matter which position the motor is fit into place …

I then connect harness to the new motor, and also reconnected functional motor to the controller …

I then crossed my fingers and operated the slide out and both motors started to move the slide outward.. I only moved an inch or so and then fully closed the slideout… I did this a few times remembering to hold the slide switch in the close position until the controller was quiet and the slideout eventually started to move evenly outwards and inwards at same time .. I did not have time to test fully opening and closing the slide out as I had lost my daylight.. and I still have to tidy up the harness on inside and also reinstall the large ‘D’ seal on inside of slideout that I had removed ..

Apologize for lengthy post ..
    Last edited by Greg_C; 06-13-2023 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Missing pictures added
    Greg & Barb
    Halifax NS Canada
    2018 Imagine 2400BH
    2004 Dodge Ram XLT 2500HD CTD HO, RWD LB, super springs

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have anxiously been waiting for your follow up post on the project. Sounds like you got it going your way, so let us know the final results after you test the slide. You did go with the $70 motors off Amazon right?

I like the heat shrink around the motor as it should add some protection but I don't see any reason why it could not be removed if space was an issue. My factory install motors do not have that shrink on them, and I don't think yours did either.

After getting the flat spot on the motor shaft close to where you wanted it were you able to twist the motor any to help in getting the 4 pins into position? This might be a good indication for a test lead where you could apply voltage to the motor to get the flat spot to it's final exact position.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234