Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup camera

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backup camera

On my trailer Grand Design has a blanked off spot for a Furrion FOS07TASF back up a camera. So I bought the one they recommended and installed it and to test it out I crossed the wire on my 7 in connector. I crossed it using the positive insert to the running line insert. Everything looked good. Camera worked good. Today was my first day that I was taking my trailer out and noticed my back up camera said no signal. When I got back and parked i crossed the seven pin connector and all was good. I put the plug back into the side on the bed and again no signal.

So my question is "Does anyone know why it works when crossed but not when it is connected to my truck"?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LTZ
    2022 Grand Design Solitude 280 RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Amy4805 View Post
    On my trailer Grand Design has a blanked off spot for a Furrion FOS07TASF back up a camera. So I bought the one they recommended and installed it and to test it out I crossed the wire on my 7 in connector. I crossed it using the positive insert to the running line insert. Everything looked good. Camera worked good. Today was my first day that I was taking my trailer out and noticed my back up camera said no signal. When I got back and parked i crossed the seven pin connector and all was good. I put the plug back into the side on the bed and again no signal.

So my question is "Does anyone know why it works when crossed but not when it is connected to my truck"?
    I have to turn the headlights on the truck on so the camera on our 22RBE gets power since they way they ran the wires the camera only gets power if the trailer running lights are on.
    Good luck.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an issue with some of the newer trucks - they started using a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal to control the lights. That doesn’t provide enough power to the camera.

Take a look at this adaptor.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...on/FR87PR.html
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Amy4805 View Post

Yes, you need the Furrion adapter on your truck.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    There is an issue with some of the newer trucks - they started using a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal to control the lights. That doesn’t provide enough power to the camera.

Interesting. Wonder why and when the change? Doesn't seem to be impacting me so far. I do get occasional drop outs and freezes, but assumed that was just the quality (or not) of the Furrion camera.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back up Camers

Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post

Thank you all for your answers. However I did try the headlights and no go. I am going to order that adapter from E trailer. It is a bit pricey to me though. Thank you again.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LTZ
    2022 Grand Design Solitude 280 RK

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Interesting. Wonder why and when the change? Doesn't seem to be impacting me so far. I do get occasional drop outs and freezes, but assumed that was just the quality (or not) of the Furrion camera.
    It is mostly GM vehicles. Something with the wattage output of LED's being too low to power the camera.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished testing the fix to my camera issue. It turned out to be a simple $10 fix if you are willing to make a small electrical modification.

Inside the front compartment of my Reflection 303RLS, I located the green wire (could be a different color on different models) that powers the tail and running lights on the trailer. I used that wire to trigger a $10 relay that sends the 12v auxiliary power from the 7pin connector to the running lights. Now I have a full 12v supply instead of a pulse width modulated signal.

Below is a link to the video that details the modification - this was just one part of my DC-DC charger install, but could easily be done on it’s own.

https://youtu.be/ThQP5A9a6y0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9E75991-EBA1-4D1C-A909-0E1616967F99.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	46842
    Last edited by Jomani; 06-15-2023 at 06:35 PM.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed a Fookoo 7inch backup camera system. It is Furrion Compatible connection with a clear crisp color 7 inch screen. I had a Furrion system on my previous 5th wheel and always felt it was overpriced. A friend of mine had gone with this system and loves it. So I decided, for the price it was worth a shot.

The one issue with the install is the camera antenna, which in some of the posting images shows it offset to the right side, is actually right in the middle. Installing this on my GD310gk, which was pre-installed with a furrion compatible port, required me to remove the middle upper tail light to accommodate the antenna. I was able to cleanly seal the small holes left by the removal of the light with self leveling roofing seal tape which I already had and matched the color of the 5th wheel.

The install went very smoothly. I plugged in the display screen and hooked up the trailer with my truck so that I can power the lights and camera (As previously stated in other posts, you need to power on the trailer lights to get power to the camera). The display immediately powered up and found the camera. Next I just needed to adjust the camera angle to my preference. BTW, there is very little, if any, lag in the picture display from the camera.

The next test will be time. I am hoping this system is reliable for the long haul.

If interested here is the link on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Fookoo-Record...7-93deae8f9840

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CERRSC View Post
    Just installed a Fookoo 7inch backup camera system. It is Furrion Compatible connection with a clear crisp color 7 inch screen. I had a Furrion system on my previous 5th wheel and always felt it was overpriced. A friend of mine had gone with this system and loves it. So I decided, for the price it was worth a shot.

The one issue with the install is the camera antenna, which in some of the posting images shows it offset to the right side, is actually right in the middle. Installing this on my GD310gk, which was pre-installed with a furrion compatible port, required me to remove the middle upper tail light to accommodate the antenna. I was able to cleanly seal the small holes left by the removal of the light with self leveling roofing seal tape which I already had and matched the color of the 5th wheel.

The install went very smoothly. I plugged in the display screen and hooked up the trailer with my truck so that I can power the lights and camera (As previously stated in other posts, you need to power on the trailer lights to get power to the camera). The display immediately powered up and found the camera. Next I just needed to adjust the camera angle to my preference. BTW, there is very little, if any, lag in the picture display from the camera.

The next test will be time. I am hoping this system is reliable for the long haul.

If interested here is the link on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Fookoo-Record...7-93deae8f9840
    How long is the trailer you have it mounted on? Our Momentum is 38+ feet, and I'm trying to find something that will reach to the cab of our long bed Ram pickup.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast