User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air bags versus Timbren Suspension

I tow an Imagine XLS 22 MLE with a Toyota Tundra. At times I get a little bit of "bouncing" between the truck and camper. I am thinking about beefing up the suspension a bit. Anybody have any experience with air bags or a suspension system such as Timbren?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not with air suspension, but I've had Timbren springs on the last three trucks and won't tow without them. You might also take a look at your shocks if you are getting excessive oscillation. Bilsteins will solve that... The combination of the two makes for excellent towing.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Not with air suspension, but I've had Timbren springs on the last three trucks and won't tow without them. You might also take a look at your shocks if you are getting excessive oscillation. Bilsteins will solve that... The combination of the two makes for excellent towing.
    Agree completely! Have them on my current Duramax 1 ton

X2

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a TT would go with a WDH. We use an Equilizer for our car hauler and Jeep TJ 8500# setup with our F150. No floating, swaying, and, keeps both trailer (w/Jeep on it) and our F150 level throughout the trip. This was before we placed airbags on our truck which helps with setting the Equilizer up prior to towing.

The airbags helps us out mainly with our 5er. Installed a Hellwig antisway and some 10 ply tires on the F150 which keeps it straight, level, and no sway on rough highway and Semi wind.

Our experience with timbrens was too much bump on rough roads when pulling our 5er. Airbags eliminated the bump but can induce more porpoising on rough roads. If going airbag route, would recommend dual path instead of shared shrader/air lines between airbags. Helps with air equilization between bags and load leveling from side to side.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 05-25-2023 at 05:33 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I don't think there's a 1 fix all solution other than upgrading your TV to a lever up. Like 1/2 ton to 3/4 and so on. I got the Timbren SES, and I made a difference when towing. It also negatively impacted the ride while not towing, contrary to what is advertised. I then also upgraded the TV tires to LT and the same result. Great results when towing, not so great results when empty. I guess I know have to go FT. Lol
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Ya, I don't think there's a 1 fix all solution other than upgrading your TV to a lever up. Like 1/2 ton to 3/4 and so on. I got the Timbren SES, and I made a difference when towing. It also negatively impacted the ride while not towing, contrary to what is advertised. I then also upgraded the TV tires to LT and the same result. Great results when towing, not so great results when empty. I guess I know have to go FT. Lol
    Agree, no single solution. We do what works for us. You are correct that there is an minor degradation when going over bumps, potholes, driveways etc.. And yes, sometimes the solution is a bigger truck.

Running Timbrins on my current truck.

Airbags also work, but you need to run it least a few pounds in thenthem at all times, but are also not limited as the Timbrins are. Timbrins are fixed, air bags are variable.

Timbrins are much cheaper to install and easier.

Lots that go with each solution, you have to weigh them out and decide which works best for you.

For us it is the Timbrins.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, My experience with Timbren springs is that they definitely do NOT impact ride quality of unloaded vehicles. There should be no contact with the spring in an unloaded vehicle. If there is... Then something is not right in the installation. Perhaps the installer added the enclosed shims when they were not necessary for the correct spacing.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    FWIW, My experience with Timbren springs is that they definitely do NOT impact ride quality of unloaded vehicles. There should be no contact with the spring in an unloaded vehicle. If there is... Then something is not right in the installation. Perhaps the installer added the enclosed shims when they were not necessary for the correct spacing.
    I installed the shim at first and quickly removed them. I'm not saying it's a bad product. It really helps us while towing. It just changed our experience while not towing. I know the rear end is a lot softer on my current F150 (the reason why I got the Timbren) then our older one. Maybe that's the difference. It's most likely not the case with F250, F350 or other brands.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran these https://activesuspension.com/ on my Tundra. Would buy them again is I was towing with a half ton again...
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last truck, a 1 ton SRW, I had the Timbrens on, which really helped the side to side motion. Put Bilstein shocks also on, and what an improvement on crappy roads. Have a new 1 ton SRW, and immediately put Timbrens on. I am thinking of changing the shocks from the stock to the Bilsteins because of the improvement already.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast