User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the 7k axels. Every time I weighed I was at or under 15k and the axel weight was carrying about 12k to 12.k of that weight. So - no need for 8k axels.

When I talked to GD about this they recommended staying with the 7k. They said the 8K of for heavier vehicles and therefore more stout and using those with my weight would likely not result in as a good a ride as the 7k's. It made sense to me - 8K is for more weight - which I do not have - so I figure the 7k is more 'tuned' to what I have/need.

As the OP noted - upgrading to 8k does not increase the GVWR. So another nail in the coffin for 8k's on a 310GK.

oh - and they can put disc brakes on the 7k; I thought I saw a comment saying otherwise, maybe I read it wrong.

If I were to do it over again tho with disc brakes I would upgrade to 9/16" studs from the 1/2". Assuming I could/would afford new wheels.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I got the 7k axels. Every time I weighed I was at or under 15k and the axel weight was carrying about 12k to 12.k of that weight. So - no need for 8k axels.

When I talked to GD about this they recommended staying with the 7k. They said the 8K of for heavier vehicles and therefore more stout and using those with my weight would likely not result in as a good a ride as the 7k's. It made sense to me - 8K is for more weight - which I do not have - so I figure the 7k is more 'tuned' to what I have/need.

As the OP noted - upgrading to 8k does not increase the GVWR. So another nail in the coffin for 8k's on a 310GK.

oh - and they can put disc brakes on the 7k; I thought I saw a comment saying otherwise, maybe I read it wrong.

If I were to do it over again tho with disc brakes I would upgrade to 9/16" studs from the 1/2". Assuming I could/would afford new wheels.
    I had the IS/disc brakes installed last summer on my 382 Solitude. I requested 8K axles, but the shop manager at Morryde said that I didn't need them at 16800 GVWR. I got the 7K as per his recomendation.

He said the 8K would add about 450 lbs over the 7K. I have been happy with the 7K. I think you would be too.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the Solitude, but our trailer also has a GVWR of 16,800 lbs. and has over 14,000 lbs. on the axles. It should have come with 8,000 lb. axles. But it also is a toy hauler, so there's that. And maybe the 7,000 lb. Morryde system is different from the straight axles as far as weight handling is concerned. Wow, 450 lbs. for the 8,000 lb. IS.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiejack75 View Post
    I had the IS/disc brakes installed last summer on my 382 Solitude. I requested 8K axles, but the shop manager at Morryde said that I didn't need them at 16800 GVWR. I got the 7K as per his recomendation.

He said the 8K would add about 450 lbs over the 7K. I have been happy with the 7K. I think you would be too.
    So how much did it add for the 7K? I ask because I'm still considering upgrading and was told by Morryde to order with the 8K axles and discs which I did. That's a big jump from 7K to 8K. Was told the 8K IS would add about 600lbs. Something doesn't add up.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now i'm a bit confused. As I was looking over my GVWR in prep for buying a set of tires, I began to notice my axles are 7k. Two axles @7k would be 14k. Then to me, my gvwr @ 15k puts me overweight??? Then I read this thread and see comments on springs etc. So without going into some technical detail , how is it that my 2 axles cover the 15k gvwr?
    2022 F350 SRW LB
    2019 GK 310-R
    2018 30XP Grayhawk
    2015 Forrester toad

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to figure if the trailer is at GVW that would be 15,000 lbs. and 20%, or thereabouts, about 3,000 lb. will be pin weight and is subtracted from the GVW because it is carried by the truck, leaving about 12,000 lbs. actually on the axles, and the 7,000 lb. axles will cover that weight quite easily.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryNK View Post
    Now i'm a bit confused. As I was looking over my GVWR in prep for buying a set of tires, I began to notice my axles are 7k. Two axles @7k would be 14k. Then to me, my gvwr @ 15k puts me overweight??? Then I read this thread and see comments on springs etc. So without going into some technical detail , how is it that my 2 axles cover the 15k gvwr?
    Subtract the pin weight from the 15K to get the actual weight numbers on the axles. GVWR includes weight on axles and on pin. For the 310, it's going to be around 300lbs. Here are my CAT scale numbers for this trip for a comparison:

Trailer axles were 12220lb
    pin 3180lbs

Total trailer weight is sum of both - 15,400 (18K GVWR with the 8K axles). So in our case, if the weight is equally distributed over both axles, 6110lbs per axle. The pin weight is on my rear TV axle and is part of any TV payload.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did look at pin weight as a factor in. In my case when the 310 is in storage I likely don't approach near the cargo limit so I'm ok on 14k axles in storage and then get relief on the transfer to pin weight when we are traveling. I'm going to run it over the scale next time out and get some real numbers.
    2022 F350 SRW LB
    2019 GK 310-R
    2018 30XP Grayhawk
    2015 Forrester toad

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did look at pin weight as a factor in. In my case when the 310 is in storage I likely don't approach near the cargo limit so I'm ok on 14k axles in storage and then get relief on the transfer to pin weight when we are traveling. I'm going to run it over the scale next time out and get some real numbers.
    Even when the trailer is not on the truck, the weight is still supported by the front legs, not all on the axles. All things considered, there may be even less weight on the axles when it's in storage, since the front legs will act as a fulcrum for the weight at the front. Just a thought.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even loaded for full-time (washer/dryer, 4 100 AH lithium batteries, all our stuff) and slightly over GVWR, we've never been over 13K on the axles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Even when the trailer is not on the truck, the weight is still supported by the front legs, not all on the axles. All things considered, there may be even less weight on the axles when it's in storage, since the front legs will act as a fulcrum for the weight at the front. Just a thought.
    This would be very true.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast