User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway Control Question

I've pulled a fifth wheel with 3/4-ton diesel for the past 9 years. But we sold both and are going with a small bumper pull and a half-ton truck. The trailer will have a dry weight of 4,796 and a dry tongue weight of 480. The trailer's GVWR is 6,995. Can I assume that a weight distribution hitch with sway control is for sure in my future?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say yes.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely will need a wdh. It isn’t an option
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loaded up at around 5800-6000 lbs then using the internet 12.5% TW as a guide that would put you at 750 lbs for TW. That will most certainly raise the front of the 1/2 ton truck up a bit. You'll need a WDH to return the front of the truck to where the manufacture suggests. May as well get one that has built in sway control friction bars.
    If you had a 3/4 ton truck then I'd just hitch and go with that light of a trailer.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple answer, yes use good weight distribution hitch.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if your trailer is within the specs of your truck for towing with a straight hitch, using a WDH with sway control will make the whole towing experience much more pleasant. The sway control is very helpful in cross winds or truck traffic and the WDH makes the ride a whole lot smoother.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the B&W Continuum weight distribution system. It's gotten good reviews, and looks like it would make things a lot simpler and easier.
    I've got the same set up now going on my 3rd rig, and they've all been in the same weight range, but it's always been a shot in the dark as far as how much pressure or torque I'm adding. This has a gauge so you can tell how much you're adding and can be consistent. It's a little pricey but my current one is 16 years old, so I figure I'm about due anyway. Anyone have one or looked into these?
    2023 xls Imagine 22MLE

2009 Ford F-250 6.8 v10 SuperDuty Lariat Crew Cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pricey but truly a sway control hitch - look at ProPride https://www.propridehitch.com/
    It really made our new 7,700# tt (TV F150) feel like our old 5r behind the Ram Dually.

Seems they had a no shipping sale recently.
    Last edited by masterdrago; 05-28-2023 at 02:45 PM.
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jas451 View Post
    Looking at the B&W Continuum weight distribution system. It's gotten good reviews, and looks like it would make things a lot simpler and easier.
    I've got the same set up now going on my 3rd rig, and they've all been in the same weight range, but it's always been a shot in the dark as far as how much pressure or torque I'm adding. This has a gauge so you can tell how much you're adding and can be consistent. It's a little pricey but my current one is 16 years old, so I figure I'm about due anyway. Anyone have one or looked into these?
    I hope you're not looking to go that far overboard with your 22MLE and an F250?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheesh... a regular e2 hitch is plenty for that truck and trailer. A ProPride or that Continuum thing are extreme overkill.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 7.3 XLT Crew Cab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast