Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Najataagihe View Post
    Not a good idea.

Concentrated Chlorine and Aluminum do not play well, together.

Chlorine corrodes Aluminum with extreme gusto.
    Not all WH are aluminum, mine is porcelain lined steel.

How concentrated does it need to be to harm aluminum? Clorox is what 5/6% Sodium Hypochlorite and then your diluting that at about .4%
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post

How concentrated does it need to be to harm aluminum? Clorox is what 5/6% Sodium Hypochlorite and then your diluting that at about .4%
    Totally agree. The water heater is part of the plumbing system and must be sanitized. The by-pass around the water heater negates the need to add another 6 gals of antifreeze since the wh can be drained.
    Mike & Sonya
    Lake Huron Shoreline, SW Ontario
    2021 Imagine 2400BH (DeBunked), Blue Ox Swaypro
    2017 Silverado 1500 CC 5.3 Tow Pkg, RAS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t know if you have washer lines that are unused in your camper, but we had issues with smelly water until I added shut off valves to isolate our unused washer lines. Water would get into the lines and stagnate then get siphoned out when using the sinks. Once I added the valves and sanitized again, the smell didn’t come back.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI - the typical recommendation to 1/4 cup bleach to 15 gal. works out to about 75 parts-per-million. A home swimming pool may be around 5-10. Commercial water from your tap varies, but if any, it will be around 3.
    The added factor is time - and you won't be leaving it in your heater for long periods (one hopes!). 4-6 hrs is more than enough. Chlorine combines quickly with all sorts of things, so gets weaker the longer it sits. In restaurants for cleaning surfaces, we had to throw out our weak bleach mix in a spray bottle every hour.
    The point is - due to moderately low concentration, and relatively short time, there will be no harm to your heater, no matter what it is made of.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had stinky sulfur smelling water awhile back seemingly out of nowhere. Drained, cleaned out and changed anode rod in WH. All smell gone!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My water stinks like rotten eggs at a campground I frequent. Only from the kitchen hot water faucet. Not the shower or bathroom sink. I have sanitized the system more than once but it didn't help. I'm sure it's the campground water . The only difference between the kitchen and other faucets is that the kitchen water is aerated

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sulphur smell can be from either a worn out anode (if your heater has one) or from harmless bacteria. They usually might be found in private wells, like campgrounds, They love nice warm places to grow, like the heater. So if you have an anode, check it. If it is fine, or your heater doesn't need one, sanitize.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Sulphur smell can be from either a worn out anode (if your heater has one) or from harmless bacteria. They usually might be found in private wells, like campgrounds, They love nice warm places to grow, like the heater. So if you have an anode, check it. If it is fine, or your heater doesn't need one, sanitize.
    It can also be from naturally high levels of magnesium in the water. Had that problem in our s&b for awhile then it went away then came back. Open the hot water faucets and rotten eggs - nothing on the cold water faucets. Chlorinated our well, all our pipes (copper), had water tested for bacteria and found it was high in magnesium. Replaced the magnesium anode in the hot water heater with zinc - problem solved.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post

Mea culpa.

In my defense, it has been 30 years since I had to mess with this stuff.

Yes, Clorox is SODIUM Hypochlorite and it breaks down under heat, sunlight and time into water and SALT.

It is the salt, combining with the aluminum, that causes the aluminum to corrode - rather quickly, I might add.

This leaves an etched surface on the aluminum, which won't affect a water heater, other than to have it corrode and shorten its lifespan, but it plays hob with an ice maker, as the etching won't release the ice, after formation.

Last edited by Najataagihe; 06-08-2023 at 11:47 AM.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12