User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Papa Smurf

18 Cu.Ft. Norcold Fridge Erratic Temperature

We have been having a problem with our Norcold 18 Cu.Ft. Fridge acting really wonkie.

Sometimes it would cool to low 30's and other times it stayed in the mid 40's. There was no rhyme or reason for the temperature swings.

Then I started to notice that when it was running on the warm side, there was no resistance opening the right side door, but when it was cooling normally, there was resistance when opening the right door (normal vacuum resistance on the door seals).

So I got to looking for a cause of the resistance difference and discovered the divider bar was not in place correctly.

This particular fridge is like a household French Door fridge where the divider bar is attached to the left door and swings back out of the way when you open the left door. So I closed the left door and saw the divider was dragging on the bottom of the fridge floor. You could reach in and "snap" it into the closed position, but it did not automatically snap closed every time due to dragging on the fridge floor.
    Attachment 2928

So armed with this new found realization, I closed both doors and stood back and sure enough the left door was lower than the right. I then got in the floor and looked to see if the left bottom door hinge could be adjusted up, to raise the door. There does not appear to be any way to adjust this bottom hinge.
    Attachment 2929

So I removed the "beauty" panel on the top of the door and removed the upper hinge bolt, lifted the door off the bottom hinge to inspect for damage. Apparently the lower left door hinge is just slightly lower.
    Attachment 2939Attachment 2940

I went to Ace Hardware and bought 2ea, 5/16" brass washers ($0.90). Came back to camper, took the upper pin out again, put the washers on the lower hinge pin, put the door back on and low and behold the divider bar snaps into place, since it does not drag on the bottom of the fridge floor.
    Attachment 2941

Now temperature is consistent, since there is not a big open crack between the doors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_02.JPG   IMG_01.JPG   IMG_04.JPG   IMG_06.JPG   IMG_07.JPG  

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I had found your post earlier. Had the exact problem and came to the same conclusion you did. Under warranty had the dealer fix. Norcold claimed to have not sent this issue. Dealer admitted they had several with same issue but could not figure out the problem on their own.

Posting a reply to hopefully get your post back tot he top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We too have had this problem on our Solitude 379FL purchased in June of 2016. We have lots of condensation problems in the fridge. The tray to catch the condensation was never put in when the fridge was installed. The divider bar is also dragging on ours and we have to physically pull it forward as it will not do it on its own. We are still under warranty and have already talked to Grand Design about this issue. Since we figured out that the divider bar is hanging up and we physically pull it forward, the condensation is not quite so bad. The condensation was so bad anything with a flat surface on any shelf would end up full of water as well as the tops of the crisper drawers including inside the crisper drawers. We are still getting this worked out.

Gary, Deborah & Boo Kitty Girl Westoby
    2016 Grand Design Solitude ST 379 FL (Beautiful Behemoth)
    Purchased in 2019
    Rosie (the Riveter) 2019 Ram Limited Dually, Bright White
    Reese 20K M5 5th Wheel Hitch
    Retirement for Deborah 12.31.20 / Gary 5.31.21

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also had a problem with condensation and water build up in the fridge. Lots of water!! Finally found the problem in the outside vent area for the fridge. The tube that drains the water from inside the fridge was sitting on the bottom of the tray the water drains into. So once water covered the tube it quit draining and all the condensation overflowed into the fridge. I will also check to see if our divider is dragging. Our temp also seems to vary. Good info!!

Carl and Diane - Arkansas
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
    2020 CHEVY 2500 HIGH COUNTRY DURAMAX
    Companion 5th wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyar1 View Post
    We also had a problem with condensation and water build up in the fridge. Lots of water!! Finally found the problem in the outside vent area for the fridge. The tube that drains the water from inside the fridge was sitting on the bottom of the tray the water drains into. So once water covered the tube it quit draining and all the condensation overflowed into the fridge. I will also check to see if our divider is dragging. Our temp also seems to vary. Good info!!

We've recently noted condensation in ours too! Thank you for mentioning the drain tube. I'll check that out when I get home tonight, and check the divider.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    We have been having a problem with our Norcold 18 Cu.Ft. Fridge acting really wonkie.

Sometimes it would cool to low 30's and other times it stayed in the mid 40's. There was no rhyme or reason for the temperature swings.

Then I started to notice that when it was running on the warm side, there was no resistance opening the right side door, but when it was cooling normally, there was resistance when opening the right door (normal vacuum resistance on the door seals).

So I got to looking for a cause of the resistance difference and discovered the divider bar was not in place correctly.

This particular fridge is like a household French Door fridge where the divider bar is attached to the left door and swings back out of the way when you open the left door. So I closed the left door and saw the divider was dragging on the bottom of the fridge floor. You could reach in and "snap" it into the closed position, but it did not automatically snap closed every time due to dragging on the fridge floor.
    Attachment 2928

So armed with this new found realization, I closed both doors and stood back and sure enough the left door was lower than the right. I then got in the floor and looked to see if the left bottom door hinge could be adjusted up, to raise the door. There does not appear to be any way to adjust this bottom hinge.
    Attachment 2929

So I removed the "beauty" panel on the top of the door and removed the upper hinge bolt, lifted the door off the bottom hinge to inspect for damage. Apparently the lower left door hinge is just slightly lower.
    Attachment 2939Attachment 2940

I went to Ace Hardware and bought 2ea, 5/16" brass washers ($0.90). Came back to camper, took the upper pin out again, put the washers on the lower hinge pin, put the door back on and low and behold the divider bar snaps into place, since it does not drag on the bottom of the fridge floor.
    Attachment 2941

Now temperature is consistent, since there is not a big open crack between the doors.
    Our fridge is the Norcold 2118SS.

So I read this to my DH. I didn't see the photos when I responded the last time with our same issue...but I did show him the photos. He went right to the fridge and figured it out. He was able to adjust the left fridge door laterally by removing the bezel of the upper hinge mount screws. He loosened the upper hinge bracket and moved the door slightly to the left so it raised the bottom right corner of the door. This allowed the mobile seal to move freely without dragging against the bottom of the fridge. The mobile seal now snaps into proper position when closing the door. Then on the right door, he removed the hinge bezel and loosened the three upper hinge plate screws of the fridge door and slid the door to the right to vertically align the edges of the left and right door.

Happy happy wife. Now we just need the condenser fin drip tray and attaching hardware that was left out during the installation. Thank you Papa Smurf for the tip and the photos!!!
    Last edited by DMWestoby; 11-06-2016 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to give a thank you!

Gary, Deborah & Boo Kitty Girl Westoby
    2016 Grand Design Solitude ST 379 FL (Beautiful Behemoth)
    Purchased in 2019
    Rosie (the Riveter) 2019 Ram Limited Dually, Bright White
    Reese 20K M5 5th Wheel Hitch
    Retirement for Deborah 12.31.20 / Gary 5.31.21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    Attachment 2941
    We started having an issue with our left-side door too. If you lifted up on it, the seal would snap into place. It would also do so on it's own after some minutes.

I went to Lowe's and bought one package of two 5/16' brass washers as you recommended, and the issue is solved. I think we need a subforum for common fixes, and this needs to be included. Enough folks are having this problem that it qualifies.

I used an adjustable wrench to remove the top bolt, the door pivots and lifts up, put the two washers on the lower peg, then put the door back on and secure the top bolt.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love this forum. I met some new Solitude owners tonight and they said they were having a problem with the refrigerator cooling. I checked, and sure enough, the divider bar was not closing properly. I showed them how to manually close it, and tomorrow I'll tell them about the 5/16" brass washers.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 GD 349m. had this problem. Just found out. Sure enough, there was the "Made in USA" sticker that rolls up and jams the door flap where lower door corners meet jamming the flap at a45 degree angle. You can't see the 1/2" gap that lets the cold air out because the light is off inside the refer and the gap is all black colored in there and not too wide. Its invisible. Put a flashlight in there then you'll see the gap. Basically if the right door is loose and not snug tight to the refer, the left door flapper isn't flapped all the way. Remove the sticker and clean off sticker glue. Add a washer or two. I used a pressed super hard fiber washer x 2 for each side. Costs .50 cents. To remove the doors, you just need a large flat screw driver. Pull off the plastic black hinge covers...they just pull off with a snap... You have to pull off the upper and lower doors to do this. Unscrew and remove top hinge screw at the very top of the freezer door..., pull up and the door comes out exposing the lower door hinge screw. Do same with lower door. Add washers to bottom doors only and replace all in reverse. Super easy. Took 10 minutes. Went for 45-50 degrees for a whole month and a half set at max before i caught on... down to 38 degrees set to 5.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Glad I found your post on Facebook. I have been battling mine not cooling properly for a month. My divider also not working properly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast