User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to find different brand solar panel with specific specifications?

My RV came with the Furrion 165W solar panel. Its specs state 19.4 Vmp, 8.5 Imp, and 23.83 Voc.

I plan to install a separate charge controller and panels in addition to the existing. However, I would like to leverage an additional panel to pair with the Furrion since it is already there. It came with a 25 amp controller. I don't want to pay the exorbitant price to add another Furrion panel, so hoping I can get a different brand that closely matches it. I know I will have to swap out the proprietary connectors that come with the Furrion system...

When I search 165W panels, I don't find any that match the voltage or amperage specs of the Furrion panel. I haven't found a way to search for a panel based on those specs either. So I'm wondering, what's the best way to find a panel that will be similarly matched to the existing panel? And how closely does it need to match? Should I focus on matching voltage? Amperage? Is one better than the other if both cannot be matched?

Any advice??
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    My RV came with the Furrion 165W solar panel. Its specs state 19.4 Vmp, 8.5 Imp, and 23.83 Voc.

I plan to install a separate charge controller and panels in addition to the existing. However, I would like to leverage an additional panel to pair with the Furrion since it is already there. It came with a 25 amp controller. I don't want to pay the exorbitant price to add another Furrion panel, so hoping I can get a different brand that closely matches it. I know I will have to swap out the proprietary connectors that come with the Furrion system...

When I search 165W panels, I don't find any that match the voltage or amperage specs of the Furrion panel. I haven't found a way to search for a panel based on those specs either. So I'm wondering, what's the best way to find a panel that will be similarly matched to the existing panel? And how closely does it need to match? Should I focus on matching voltage? Amperage? Is one better than the other if both cannot be matched?

Any advice??
    Leave the stock setup alone. Mismatched panels always reduce output. Even if you buy another overpriced furrion panels,it is doubtful that your controller will handle it. Factory systems are just not meant to be expanded.
    I tried to expand on my 300 watt factory Jaboni system. It was a big waste of time and money.It will be better to just add another system to the coach.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Leave the stock setup alone. Mismatched panels always reduce output. Even if you buy another overpriced furrion panels,it is doubtful that your controller will handle it. Factory systems are just not meant to be expanded.
    I tried to expand on my 300 watt factory Jaboni system. It was a big waste of time and money.It will be better to just add another system to the coach.
    I second what @huntindog days here. Leave it alone, buy whatever panels you want and a second charge controller.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I second what @huntindog days here. Leave it alone, buy whatever panels you want and a second charge controller.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll take your direction and just focus on the additional system. Would you have any opinion on this one? I've had my eye on it for a few days. Can't seem to find any reviews but Rich solar seems to be pretty common. Any particular brand I should be looking at?
    https://www.recpro.com/rich-solar-60..._content=Solar
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same system as you and have spent a lot of time researching and costing out options. In my opinion you have 3 options.

1)since your adding another system put all $ into it and leave the stock system alone.
    2)add the renogy 175watt panel. Closest thing in spec to the furrion.
    3) replace the furrion 165 panel with a residential 300watt panel. You can get these panels for less money than the renogy 175 panel mentioned. You would then have full use of the furrion mppt charge controller and recoup some cash on selling the furrion panel on a buy n sell site.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll take your direction and just focus on the additional system. Would you have any opinion on this one? I've had my eye on it for a few days. Can't seem to find any reviews but Rich solar seems to be pretty common. Any particular brand I should be looking at?
    I don't really look at the manufacturer name. Look at watts-per-dollar and warranty length and coverage.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it is new to the market (zero reviews)
    They do not state any specs for the controller. This is the heart of the system
    Rec pros other products do not impress me. On the info available, I would pass.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Renogy 200 watt panel would work fine with this if wired in parallel. Operating voltage of the Renogy is 19.2 V, very close to your existing panel. Just make sure the existing wiring is appropriate for the added current and distance to the controller. Personally, I'd swap out the existing controller for a Victron controller, but I'm Victron prejudiced.
    Last edited by JPS350; 05-28-2023 at 02:40 PM.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ommited a recomendation earlier. I like Victron controllers. They are pricey though. There are cheaper ones. I recommend that you compare the specs on them to a comparable Victron. Not all of the cheaper ones will do what a Victron does. If you find a cheaper alternative that stacks up well.... Buy it.I have no specific recommendations as the market is always changing, and I am not up to speed on it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that Rich Solar setup and am using a pair of them for 2 years now. Those 200 watt panels will supply at least 10 amps each so with your existing solar system you'll be very close to 40 total amps. The Rich Solar charge controller shown looks almost identical to the Renogy model but the Rich Solar controller has improvements for example it can except heavier gauge wires and it has an easier to read display panel. Some of the icons on the display of the comparable Renogy controller are so small they could be called microscopic. I know, I just Installed and set up a Renogy system that a friend bought. Actually you could tie in that existing panel to the Rich Solar package as long as all panels are connected in parallel. That 40 amp charge controller would be very close to full capacity at that point. Read and photo the information stickers on the backside of your panels for easy reference. Good luck.
    2019 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW
    Reese Goosebox 20-k