User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Florida and Vermont and anywhere in between
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well IT Did Happen To Us!

We prepared to leave the campsite in South Carolina and head to North Carolina for the next leg of our travels. We completed all of our "chores" the last being to test the hitch connection while the jacks were still on terra firma. I always look too. My husband held the trailer brake and I watched as he tried to pull forward. No go. So we were set.

Two and one half hours into our travels we hear a loud noise. I thought we had a blowout and I just say "Pull over". But as I turned to my husband who was driving, I notice that on the screen behind his steering wheel, it said, "trailer brake engaged" or something similar. It registered enough for me to realize something was seriously amiss but not enough for me to look at the trailer. My husband pulled over and we heard another loud noise and we looked at each other. All the while we should have looked behind us.

We both got out of the car and my first reaction at seeing our disconnected 5th wheel, a little way down the shoulder was to say, "Oh heck, we're not going to recover from this". To make the long story short, with the help of an EMS crew who blocked traffic and provided some power to our battery (couldn't lower the jacks due to 'low voltage'), we reconnected to the trailer. Minus the tailgate of our truck which was pulled off in the process and Plus a $250 ticket for "failure to secure the load", we were on our way.

We made it to North Carolina, then to VA., then to PA (I'm not even going to tell you what happened there but it was not related), and then to NY State. We finalized our journey to VT safely.

I'm grateful that the trailer made it off of the highway before it came to a complete stop. I think the tailgate of our truck kept it with us. I'm grateful that no drivers were impacted by this, no one was hurt, and except for being a bit nervous for the remainder of the trip, we made it home unscathed. I think that there could have been a real horrible outcome if the trailer didn't get off the road with us or if something else caused a more serious result. But it was a strange occurrence.

I called B & W Hitch to let them know and to see if there were any other complaints or a recall of some sort. The customer service representative I spoke with didn't take any responsibility and told me that it was one of two things. Either the pin was not engaged into the coupling (bzzzzz wrong answer I saw it myself) which he called a high hitch or the pin that locks the handle in place was not seated properly (bzzzzz wrong answer too because my husband is diligent about this). Still, we're human, so I don't discount an error I'm just not seeing it.

I am supposed to call him again since we've gotten home so he can troubleshoot this but I've put it off. It doesn't seem like there is much recourse unless I had a video of our checks and balances while hitching up. One thing I wondered was if bumpy roads (the roads were very bumpy) could cause the hitch locking pin to "jump up" out of the handle and that would allow the handle to open.

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there. Has anyone had a similar situation? Is the C.S. Rep correct? It's a real enigma to me and I would like to know what happened so I can avoid it happening ever again.

Thanks,
    Sue
    Susan (and Alan, Oliver, and Shiloh).
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_S View Post
    We prepared to leave the campsite in South Carolina and head to North Carolina for the next leg of our travels. We completed all of our "chores" the last being to test the hitch connection while the jacks were still on terra firma. I always look too. My husband held the trailer brake and I watched as he tried to pull forward. No go. So we were set.

Two and one half hours into our travels we hear a loud noise. I thought we had a blowout and I just say "Pull over". But as I turned to my husband who was driving, I notice that on the screen behind his steering wheel, it said, "trailer brake engaged" or something similar. It registered enough for me to realize something was seriously amiss but not enough for me to look at the trailer. My husband pulled over and we heard another loud noise and we looked at each other. All the while we should have looked behind us.

We both got out of the car and my first reaction at seeing our disconnected 5th wheel, a little way down the shoulder was to say, "Oh heck, we're not going to recover from this". To make the long story short, with the help of an EMS crew who blocked traffic and provided some power to our battery (couldn't lower the jacks due to 'low voltage'), we reconnected to the trailer. Minus the tailgate of our truck which was pulled off in the process and Plus a $250 ticket for "failure to secure the load", we were on our way.

We made it to North Carolina, then to VA., then to PA (I'm not even going to tell you what happened there but it was not related), and then to NY State. We finalized our journey to VT safely.

I'm grateful that the trailer made it off of the highway before it came to a complete stop. I think the tailgate of our truck kept it with us. I'm grateful that no drivers were impacted by this, no one was hurt, and except for being a bit nervous for the remainder of the trip, we made it home unscathed. I think that there could have been a real horrible outcome if the trailer didn't get off the road with us or if something else caused a more serious result. But it was a strange occurrence.

I called B & W Hitch to let them know and to see if there were any other complaints or a recall of some sort. The customer service representative I spoke with didn't take any responsibility and told me that it was one of two things. Either the pin was not engaged into the coupling (bzzzzz wrong answer I saw it myself) which he called a high hitch or the pin that locks the handle in place was not seated properly (bzzzzz wrong answer too because my husband is diligent about this). Still, we're human, so I don't discount an error I'm just not seeing it.

I am supposed to call him again since we've gotten home so he can troubleshoot this but I've put it off. It doesn't seem like there is much recourse unless I had a video of our checks and balances while hitching up. One thing I wondered was if bumpy roads (the roads were very bumpy) could cause the hitch locking pin to "jump up" out of the handle and that would allow the handle to open.

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there. Has anyone had a similar situation? Is the C.S. Rep correct? It's a real enigma to me and I would like to know what happened so I can avoid it happening ever again.

Thanks,
    Sue
    Due to the way B&W is designed that cannot happen. When the pin is enclosed by the jaws and the handle closed, it doesn't rely on the pin thru the handle to remain closed. several have reported forgeting to pin the handle without incident I think you were high hitched
    Last edited by huntindog; 05-28-2023 at 03:02 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, nothing will spontaneously cause the B&W hitch to let go unless something breaks internally, which is very unlikely. I didn't see you hitch up so I don't know what could have gone wrong. But yours is the first time I've ever, ever heard of a possible issue with a B&W hitch.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Due to the way B&W is designed that cannot happen. When the pin is enclosed by the jaws and the handle closed, it doesn't rely on the pin thru the handle to remain closed. several have reported forgeting to pin the handle without incidentI think you were high hitched
    A high hitch on a B&W will be easily spotted: the pin will be about 2 inches above the jaws. Only a blind person couldn't see a high hitch, and the jaws won't come back and latch. Some user error somewhere would be my guess, unless something has broken inside the hitch itself. That seems unlikely but things happen.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, glad there was no injuries and also that you were able to continue on.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 and half hours..... WOW! Sure seems like a hitch failure to me. And as for a "high hitch" on a 5th wheel, not sure on how thats possible? Assuming everyone hitches up the same (so to speak) by sliding the king pin hitch plate against the hitch top plate, not sure how a high hitch could happen? Especially, if the jaws were checked as being closed "around" the king pin and the vehicle went 2.5 hrs down the road....... Even with my cheapo Reese 16k and Turning Point pin box I'm not sure how I could have that happen with how it locks to the king pin....?

Hope B&W takes a look at it to see what really happened. Good luck to the OP.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    A high hitch on a B&W will be easily spotted: the pin will be about 2 inches above the jaws. Only a blind person couldn't see a high hitch, and the jaws won't come back and latch. Some user error somewhere would be my guess, unless something has broken inside the hitch itself. That seems unlikely but things happen.
    We just did it last week. From the side it looked fine. Looking directly from the rear, it was obvious. we always look at the jaws from the rear. Obviously the OP had an issue. I ruled out a hitch malfunction, as they were able to continue their trip. That leaves a high hitch or????????????
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you made it home safely fellow travelers.

That's my worst nightmare in action.

Im curious how it held on for so long before letting go something must have been off.

Not enough lube and didnt fully seat even though it closed? I'm not familiar with that hitch so purely speculating.

I'd be anxious to tear it down and check everything for passing tolerances.
    Last edited by Mannyjt; 05-28-2023 at 08:45 PM.
    2023 Reflection 280RS
    2022 GMC 2500HD Denali
    Many memories to be made..

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What position was the hitch in when you went to re-hitch after the incident? Did you have to open the jaws? Or were they open already?
    Or...maybe stress of the situation has you not remembering?

Glad it went a well as it did for an involuntary de-coupling. Could have been tragic.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always - with my wife confirming - that the jaws are around the pin. We have a Curt A16 hitch. Once the handle swings forward to the lacked position everything SHOULD be ok. We still look. What we do not do is a pull check. In your case it appears that would not have mattered. I doubt you could have been "high hitched". the pin sitting in the lowest position possible in a high hitch scenario would put the pin box at least 1/2" above the base plate of the hitch plate. Perhaps the jaws were in that sweet spot between being fully latched and not, allowing everything to seem to be locked in and looking good. Don't know, but it tells me to use a little more caution when hitching for sure. Thank God everyone was Ok and you could continue on. Please let us know it you figure anything out.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast