User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Florida and Vermont and anywhere in between
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Due to the way B&W is designed that cannot happen. When the pin is enclosed by the jaws and the handle closed, it doesn't rely on the pin thru the handle to remain closed. several have reported forgeting to pin the handle without incident I think you were high hitched
    Hi Huntindog, Thanks for responding. I just don't see it...or the truth is I did see it. I always look, in fact sometimes before my husbnd does the pull test he wants to up the tailgate which results in me yelling about it. So I am sure I looked. The only thing that concerns me is that - what if I didn't know what I was looking at? But it would sure seem to me that if the pin was above the jaws I'd have seen that.

Thanks again though.

Sue
    Susan (and Alan, Oliver, and Shiloh).
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    A high hitch on a B&W will be easily spotted: the pin will be about 2 inches above the jaws. Only a blind person couldn't see a high hitch, and the jaws won't come back and latch. Some user error somewhere would be my guess, unless something has broken inside the hitch itself. That seems unlikely but things happen.
    Hi Hoopy, Well that is what I would have thought, that it would be obvious. I just don't even know what the error could be? But I'm not discounting that I could have made one, just can't figure it out. Maybe never will. I'm going to hope it doesn't happen again.

Thanks!

Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    2 and half hours..... WOW! Sure seems like a hitch failure to me. And as for a "high hitch" on a 5th wheel, not sure on how thats possible? Assuming everyone hitches up the same (so to speak) by sliding the king pin hitch plate against the hitch top plate, not sure how a high hitch could happen? Especially, if the jaws were checked as being closed "around" the king pin and the vehicle went 2.5 hrs down the road....... Even with my cheapo Reese 16k and Turning Point pin box I'm not sure how I could have that happen with how it locks to the king pin....?

Hope B&W takes a look at it to see what really happened. Good luck to the OP.
    Hi Trailrydr, Yes I think that one of the points you make is very true. When my husband is backing up the truck, I'm checking the proximity of the pin plate to the hitch plate. I often lower the jacks a bit so they of course touch (the plates) and slide through. I cannot imagine how a high hitch could possibly happen - I'd be happy to hear though if anyone knows.

And yes the jaws were closed, and the 2.5 hours is really concerning.

Thank you, I hope they would look at it too. I do owe them a call and might suggest that. Or that they recommend someone who they trust in my area.

Thanks again,
    Sue.
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    We just did it last week. From the side it looked fine. Looking directly from the rear, it was obvious. we always look at the jaws from the rear. Obviously, the OP had an issue. I ruled out a hitch malfunction, as they were able to continue their trip. That leaves a high hitch or????????????
    I did look at it from the rear. I'm only 4 ft 10 so frankly, looking at anything from the side of the pickup has me looking at the tires or the outside of the truck bed. :-). I can't see over the sides of the truck, and into the bed, at all. :-)

Yes, we continued our trip and I agree that it would seem if the hitch were broken it would have happened again (thankfully it didn't) but I'm more inclined to go with the ??????

Thanks,
    Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_S View Post
    Hi Trailrydr, Yes I think that one of the points you make is very true. When my husband is backing up the truck, I'm checking the proximity of the pin plate to the hitch plate. I often lower the jacks a bit so they of course touch (the plates) and slide through. I cannot imagine how a high hitch could possibly happen - I'd be happy to hear though if anyone knows.

And yes the jaws were closed, and the 2.5 hours is really concerning.

Thank you, I hope they would look at it too. I do owe them a call and might suggest that. Or that they recommend someone who they trust in my area.

Thanks again,
    Sue.
    When I'm setting up to backin to the pin, I stop slightly before the pin engages, but where the lube plate on the pin box is above the hitch plate, then I lower the RV so the lube plate is touching the hitch plate. I then will backup the rest of the way and the truck almost lifts the RV a hair when I'm locked in. This method prevents high hitching.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyjt View Post
    Glad you made it home safely fellow travelers.

That's my worst nightmare in action.

Im curious how it held on for so long before letting go something must have been off.

Not enough lube and didnt fully seat even though it closed? I'm not familiar with that hitch so purely speculating.

I'd be anxious to tear it down and check everything for passing tolerances.
    Hi Mannyjt, Thank you for your well wishes. It was pretty frightening. And I wish I knew how it didn't disconnect much sooner too. It doesn't make sense to me but I'm not an expert. It's also probably above my pay grade to take it apart. I wish that B&W would though.

Thank you,
    Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    What position was the hitch in when you went to re-hitch after the incident? Did you have to open the jaws? Or were they open already?
    Or...maybe stress of the situation has you not remembering?

Glad it went a well as it did for an involuntary de-coupling. Could have been tragic.
    Hi Scott'nWendy, Well that is all a good question to which neither my husband and I can remember. Yes, stress, stupidity, one of the es words. In retrospect it should have been the first thing we looked at but we didn't even think of it at the time.

Yes, it really could have been tragic so I'm really grateful that it wasn't.

Thank you,
    Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I always - with my wife confirming - that the jaws are around the pin. We have a Curt A16 hitch. Once the handle swings forward to the lacked position everything SHOULD be ok. We still look. What we do not do is a pull check. In your case it appears that would not have mattered. I doubt you could have been "high hitched". the pin sitting in the lowest position possible in a high hitch scenario would put the pin box at least 1/2" above the base plate of the hitch plate. Perhaps the jaws were in that sweet spot between being fully latched and not, allowing everything to seem to be locked in and looking good. Don't know, but it tells me to use a little more caution when hitching for sure. Thank God everyone was Ok and you could continue on. Please let us know it you figure anything out.
    Hi SGT ROC,

We always do the pull test but knowing that we traveled over 2 hours before uncoupling makes me figure it didn't matter. What bothers me is that there is some unknown element that I worry could happen again. Now my husband and I are doing redundant checks because we're worried that one set of eyes isn't enough. So I'm checking that he locked the handle and he's checking the pin is seated properly. I'm sure there could be worse things than two sets of checks but we're still concerned.

It may be true, that the jaws seemed to be locked but weren't really, but that usually prevents the handle from closing all the way and the locking pin won't engage. That used to be an issue when we were new to the 5th wheel but hasn't happened since then.

I sure will let you know if we figure it out.

Thank you,
    Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    When I'm setting up to backin to the pin, I stop slightly before the pin engages, but where the lube plate on the pin box is above the hitch plate, then I lower the RV so the lube plate is touching the hitch plate. I then will backup the rest of the way and the truck almost lifts the RV a hair when I'm locked in. This method prevents high hitching.
    Yes, yes, agreed. I do the same.
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_S View Post
    Hi SGT ROC,

We always do the pull test but knowing that we traveled over 2 hours before uncoupling makes me figure it didn't matter. What bothers me is that there is some unknown element that I worry could happen again. Now my husband and I are doing redundant checks because we're worried that one set of eyes isn't enough. So I'm checking that he locked the handle and he's checking the pin is seated properly. I'm sure there could be worse things than two sets of checks but we're still concerned.

It may be true, that the jaws seemed to be locked but weren't really, but that usually prevents the handle from closing all the way and the locking pin won't engage. That used to be an issue when we were new to the 5th wheel but hasn't happened since then.

I sure will let you know if we figure it out.

Thank you,
    Sue
    My wife double checks everything before we start out and after unhooking. I have forgotten to do things in the past, mostly by getting distracted, such as not putting the tailgate down when unhooking, forgetting to pull the wheel chalks, leaving cargo doors open, and so on. We both do extra walk arounds just to be sure... It can't hurt
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast