User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Have you lubed your B&W jaws - there are two zerks if I remember and always do a pull test with the landing gear down, just off the pavement (catches the trailer it it comes out). Last always visually inspect the jaws and arm is closed and pin fully inserted. It's all in the owners manual. Might read up on it.
    No zerks on my companion jaws. Just one on the head pivot.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    No zerks on my companion jaws. Just one on the head pivot.
    Your are correct my mistake https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/sit...structions.pdf
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Hmmmm... Thats the second testimonial on a B&W hitch releasing a king pin after visual verification (by multiple folks as well) of jaws closed properly around the king pin. I sure am glad I got my el cheapo Reese 16k instead - no failures in 5 yrs... knock on wood!

BTW, I too have a ('23) Super Duty SB with 7.3 and love it. I also have the Turning Point too. Some have said they have locked the TP out with use of their Super Duty SB and didn't use a slider.... I'm sure they don't do full 90 degree 5er turns, but claim they get by without a slider. Might be worth looking into..... I'm thinking I gonna try it - even if I had a slider or used the full TP would never get close to that angle anyways.
    I also tow a 295RL with the Turning Point pin box and have never unlocked it while towing with my F250 short bed B&W non-slider. I’ve never had the need, nor would want to, do a 90-degree turn for fear of what it might do to the tires/wheels/axles.
    Tom & Janice
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2020 Ford F350 Super Duty CC SRW SB Lariat 6.7L PowerStroke

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The B and W companion 5th wheel hitch, by design, cannot open with the handle closed. EVER! The way it is made, will not allow it to open with handle locked, closed. There are no springs that might be left open. The handle moves a cam that has a physical interference with the jaws. Only way if is the hitch breaks, which I have never seen.... If handle is closed, then the jaws are locked. UNLESS the pin was not seated in the hitch. All the way in. Once jaws are around the pin and handle is closed, not going to open by itself.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    You have made me feel "disenfranchised" since I don't have a B&W hitch!

Seriously, I've been considering getting one, but I have a 15 year old Husky hitch with a Blue Ox Bedsaver and it just keeps working. Wonder if these hitches eventually wear out?

By the way, I'm guilty of never doing a pull test. The Husky is a single jaw hitch, so I just use a flashlight to make sure the jaw is wrapped around the pin.
    @dryfly
    Before you go out and get a B&W just to be part of the crowd, check out the DEMCO hitches. They have a much better and more positive way of latching around a hitch pin. The jaw locks around the pin and a bar slides across the back. Nice design.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the B&W Companion hitch for four plus years and dozens of times hooking and unhooking. It’s a great hitch. The only time it didn’t hook up right, was my fault. The kingpin was a little bit too high and the fat part of the pin hit the jaws and closed them before the pin was in the jaws. I knew something wasn’t right, so I got out and checked. I rectified the problem and the next try was successful. I switched to the GooseBox, because I didn’t like the amount of effort required to get the B&W in and out. If the tow vehicle was only used for towing, I would go back to the B&W.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe add a step or two or just re-arrange the order of your hook-up may help to avoid that in the future. I back into the 5th wheel and watch the handle "lock-in" and then do a pull test before getting out. If the king pin did not seat well then you would know it and no harm done. After the pull test to verify a lock in, then I do a visual check of the king pin and jaws and if that looks good then I pin the handle. When you have a 53 ft semi trailer not lock in you learn real quick to do the tug test before getting out of the drivers seat. Glad nothing happened except for a little time to hitch up after calming down. It is nerve racking when it happens. Safe travels.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point of my thread was that checking the jaws and the pull test are important. Sadly many people seem to disregard the pull test as unnecessary because they don’t make mistakes.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To err is human... for sure. Its unfair to say that those who dont do a pull test think they dont make mistakes. We apparently ALL make mistakes.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123