User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W let go so I guess you gotta look!!!!

Been towing my reflection for 3 years with the B&W hitch. Always do a pull test. Today I back up and it clunked in and the lever was all the way in so I pinned it. I set the brake to do a full test and heard a creaaaak!!!!!! The Reflection slid off the hitch. Makes your heart pound a bit. I put the legs down and lifted the trailer up again. Reapproached it and clunk right it. I looked this time to check that the jaws were connected and they were. Pinned it in place and the tug test worked and I towed it home. I don’t understand what exactly happened. The trailer was up on one side on Anderson leveler ramps. Maybe it just didn’t wrap the jaws but it’s crazy because the lever snapped all the way in which is an indication that it was a good hitch. Luckily I did the pull test or it would’ve been bad.

I guess things happen but man was that a weird feeling seeing the trailer slid backwards on the hitch.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply don't see how that could happen. The jaws are locked if they are around the pin, they cannot come loose, the design won't allow it. Sounds like your pin was on top of the jaws, the weight caused the jaws to close and the handle to close. That should have been easily visible.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s crazy because my wife and I both saw it. The fifth wheel was tight to the hitch like normal and the pin was in but it slid off. My wife will sign a sworn statement to it as well. Not sure what happened but it did.

I’m also very close to just locking out this turning point and getting a sliding base for the B&W.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    It’s crazy because my wife and I both saw it. The fifth wheel was tight to the hitch like normal and the pin was in but it slid off. My wife will sign a sworn statement to it as well. Not sure what happened but it did.

I’m also very close to just locking out this turning point and getting a sliding base for the B&W.
    Hmmmm... Thats the second testimonial on a B&W hitch releasing a king pin after visual verification (by multiple folks as well) of jaws closed properly around the king pin. I sure am glad I got my el cheapo Reese 16k instead - no failures in 5 yrs... knock on wood!

BTW, I too have a ('23) Super Duty SB with 7.3 and love it. I also have the Turning Point too. Some have said they have locked the TP out with use of their Super Duty SB and didn't use a slider.... I'm sure they don't do full 90 degree 5er turns, but claim they get by without a slider. Might be worth looking into..... I'm thinking I gonna try it - even if I had a slider or used the full TP would never get close to that angle anyways.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, pretty odd, never heard an instance of a problem with a B&W hitch, and now two on the same day. And one had a turning point hitch, I wonder about the other one. I still don't intend to do a pull test, all of the issues I've ever heard of, okay one instance, was the result of operator error. Trouble free for over 15 years and 12 of those years with the same B&W hitch. I'm a B&W fanboi and proud of it.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Hmmmm... Thats the second testimonial on a B&W hitch releasing a king pin after visual verification
    He didn't visually verify...that's the point of the thread. If they had they probably would have a good idea about what actually happened.
    Seeing the handle move isn't visual verification.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 05-29-2023 at 05:06 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if they stopped somewhere in those 2.5 hours, someone could have pulled the lock arm pin out and partially open the arm, that's why I use a padlock on the lock arm.

Or maybe the lock arm did not close completely when initially hitched and the lock pin was not through both the arm and the frame. On some B&W hitches the lock arm can get stiff closing, it doesn't close all the way by itself, you got to lube the lock arm pivot shaft to keep it moving freely.
    What ever the cause glad it turned out no so bad, it could have been much worse.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like it could have been a high hitched situation? You may have done this, but in my trucking days 30 years ago I was always taught to visually ensure that the jaws wrapped all the way around the kingpin. You'll identify a high hitch situation if you do. I still do that inspection to this day before closing the tailgate.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clange View Post
    It sounds like it could have been a high hitched situation? You may have done this, but in my trucking days 30 years ago I was always taught to visually ensure that the jaws wrapped all the way around the kingpin. You'll identify a high hitch situation if you do. I still do that inspection to this day before closing the tailgate.
    Same here. Me (usually twice if not more) and then my wife. Two sets of eyes are always better than one.

Also, have seen some use yellow or white paint on the outer (visual side) portion of either the jaws or king pin to help with verification of a proper closure via the color contrast.

Note: I use slip plate dry lube on my king pin and hitch plates to help with my hitch attempts using my unlocked Turning Point pin box since we bought our 295RL. IMO, it really helps when relieving some friction and providing solid jaw(s) lock.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Reese 16k hitch that failed 800 miles from home. A one inch grade 8 bolt for the head pivot sheared. I couldn't trust it any more, so when I arrived home, I ordered a B&W. One of the best upgrades I've made.
    I do visually check that the lock bar is closed, jaws wrapped around the pin & do a tug test.
    Solid connection, releases the pin when setting up without struggle, just a much better built hitch...at least in the last four years of ownership. JMHO
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast