User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    What power source are you going to use which makes you need the soft starts? Using that to test them after install would be my first choice. It also seems to me the test for the soft starts could be to use the 15 amp 120vAc garage outlet with the proper dogbone adapter.
    That's what I wasn't quite sure about. It's parked at my house and I have it connected to my 110v 15amp garage outlet. Wasn't sure if 15amps would be enough to run even one AC on even with soft starts installed. I have a 20 amp outlet about 30 feet further that I used to use to heat the horses water trough during the winter but that would be quite a long run to the rig though I have a heavier gauge extension cord. I have the on-board Onan. There is also a 30amp connection to the house for the portable generator we use but normally I have the house main breaker off when I run that because I'm then an energy supplier and don't want to back-feed the utility company. I have the dog bones to connect to any of the house sources. Just want to be able to test out the tech's work before he leaves.

Soft starts wanted for planned trip to western national parks - staying at some places where I will only have 30amp or 15amp service and last year we were in triple digits in the high desert.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    That's what I wasn't quite sure about. It's parked at my house and I have it connected to my 110v 15amp garage outlet. Wasn't sure if 15amps would be enough to run even one AC on even with soft starts installed. I have a 20 amp outlet about 30 feet further that I used to use to heat the horses water trough during the winter but that would be quite a long run to the rig though I have a heavier gauge extension cord. I have the on-board Onan. There is also a 30amp connection to the house for the portable generator we use but normally I have the house main breaker off when I run that because I'm then an energy supplier and don't want to back-feed the utility company. I have the dog bones to connect to any of the house sources. Just want to be able to test out the tech's work before he leaves.

Soft starts wanted for planned trip to western national parks - staying at some places where I will only have 30amp or 15amp service and last year we were in triple digits in the high desert.
    My suggestion is to try the soft start on the 15A garage recpt. That provides you with a "worst case scenario" and if it works from that, you are golden for the anticipated 30A RV spots you may encounter out west. The soft starts generally will cut the inrush current from the compressor starting up, way down to a level that would allow them to start on a 15A household type circuit. You will like still have to "manage" your power usage when on the 30A out west, but that is still a better option than no soft start or maybe running the generator almost continuously.

My suggestion would also be....make sure that you have everything else in the trailer that is 120V related...Turned Off, and that includes your Converter/Charger. Just keep in mind, that if you do find yourself hooked up to a 15A circuit when you are out west, everything else 120V related will probably need to be turn off if you want A/C on one unit. Hope this helps
    Last edited by xrated; 05-29-2023 at 06:47 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Your electrician likely installed a manual portable generator power transfer kit, not a sub panel. Totally legal.

It has an additional box that can power certain circuits off a generator rather than the grid if needed

I’ve got one that I need to install at my cabin so I can run the well 240 v pumps, fridge, fans and some lights during power outages. I’ve got this one https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Corp...000HS2L3O?th=1
    That's the one. Has worked well - just need everyone to know the protocol on start/stop/connecting.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    My suggestion is to try the soft start on the 15A garage recpt. That provides you with a "worst case scenario" and if it works from that, you are golden for the anticipated 30A RV spots you may encounter out west. The soft starts generally will cut the inrush current from the compressor starting up, way down to a level that would allow them to start on a 15A household type circuit. You will like still have to "manage" your power usage when on the 30A out west, but that is still a better option than no soft start or maybe running the generator almost continuously.

My suggestion would also be....make sure that you have everything else in the trailer that is 120V related...Turned Off, and that includes your Converter/Charger. Just keep in mind, that if you do find yourself hooked up to a 15A circuit when you are out west, everything else 120V related will probably need to be turn off if you want A/C on one unit. Hope this helps
    Thank you - sounds like a good plan. I'm not sure how to turn the converter/charger off on it's own without shutting all of the shore power circuit off. It's a 110v grounded plug into the back of the service panel and I don't see a dedicated breaker for it.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the one. Has worked well - just need everyone to know the protocol on start/stop/connecting.
    Make a list like I did, and post it on the door of the house breaker panel. My list goes into great detail/explanation of exactly what to do, and in the proper sequence.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John....if you would like, I can PM you a copy of my Generator start up list that shows the detail. You could use it as a guideline and of course modify it for your own setup......Let me know.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John....if you would like, I can PM you a copy of my Generator start up list that shows the detail. You could use it as a guideline and of course modify it for your own setup......Let me know.
    Would appreciate that. I know the procedure but one of my sons had to start the generator this winter and I walked him through it - should have it posted though because three other family members don't know the drill. Guess I always assumed that I'd be doing it - flawed assumption.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would appreciate that. I know the procedure but one of my sons had to start the generator this winter and I walked him through it - should have it posted though because three other family members don't know the drill. Guess I always assumed that I'd be doing it - flawed assumption.
    PM sent.....print it out and then modify for your installation....Hope this helps
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the PowerBack, I also wired in a wireless module that is specific to my Honeywell brand Security system that is on the house....and the module sends a signal to my alarm panel (which is operating whether I'm on utility power or generator power) and it lets me know that utility power has been restored with a pop up on the screen and a beep about every 20 seconds or so.
    Not to hijack this thread, but could you please give me the part number or a link to the module. I have a DSC panel and I'd like to rig up a similar notification.

I've been thinking about just putting a relay on my service input that would open or close depending on AC availability, then just using making that relay a zone in my alarm system (silent zone no audible alarm). I can monitor from my iphone that way.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but could you please give me the part number or a link to the module. I have a DSC panel and I'd like to rig up a similar notification.

I've been thinking about just putting a relay on my service input that would open or close depending on AC availability, then just using making that relay a zone in my alarm system (silent zone no audible alarm). I can monitor from my iphone that way.
    I can do that, but...the module is specifically for the Honeywell/Ademco brand wireless alarm systems, and the wireless modules are part of the 5800 series of modules/contacts/sirens/extenders/ect. So if your DSC panel is compatible with that stuff, the module that I bought is a 5817 CBXT. It is a set of dry contacts that are N.O and require a switch closure.....say from a relay or contactor, in order to make it operate. It also requires an EOL resistor, and that is included with the module.

Here is a link to the device, but shop around for pricing. I found a set of them that was New/Old stock for a lot less than some companies are charging for it....

https://www.resideo.com/us/en/pro/pr...tter-5817cbxt/

I use this same module on my septic tank alarm and it goes off if the septic tank is over the high level....which means either it has lost power out there, or the pump itself has failed.......again.
    Last edited by xrated; 05-29-2023 at 10:53 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast