User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new trailer

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark ingle View Post
    I just got a new grand design imagine 2970rl their a 2 things I don't like about it fiat ia the queen bed i can't believe how hard it is not even a mattress topper helped I had to go buy a new one I have never had a trailer that had this bad of a bed of bed and this is my 4th one and also it came with the ability to moniter my tire pressure but they don't give the things that go on the valve stems whats up with that and the new ones don't have a dvd with it now I always thought grand design was suppost to high end yet these thing are missing or cheap
    give
    Yeah, survey says that 90% of RV owners replace the mattress with one that they prefer, the Imagine line is Tire Monitor prepped only, you need to buy the kit with the power repeater and sensors, and I guess that it doesn't have a cassette player either. All electronics go out of style quickly. Streaming is now the way to play music and videos.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of manufacturers go cheap on the mattress knowing that their average buyer will replace it for something better sooner than later. We just picked up our 22MLE last week and will be using the cheap mattress this weekend but will have replaced it by our next outing on June 16. To get by we will put our self-inflating tent camping pads between the mattress and bed base for some extra cushion.

As others have stated the tire monitoring system is prep only. Our salesman made that clear when we were looking at our unit before the sale.

I agree somewhat on the DVD player. They are cheap enough that they don't really add much to the price of a head unit. For me it is playing music from my extensive collection of CD's as I have always installed a Blu-ray player and sound bar for TV and movie viewing. I will be doing that again most likely next week along with my backup/side view cameras. I also suspect I will be replacing the head unit sooner than later in-order to be able to play music inside or out.

We have not taken our 22MLE out yet but compared to other trailers we have owned the problems we found during the walk-through were minimal and straight forward to resolve before we accepted the unit. I did find the brakes are not adjusted properly and/or have grease on the pads on the drive home. I have also found that the water barrier around the utility access hole is not fully sealed and will allow water to get to the plywood decking. I plan to take the trailer back to the dealer to have these resolved along with any other things we find on the shakedown trip. I could do it myself but it does not help improve quality when the executives don't see the true warranty costs show up on their reports. While disappointed about the brakes all in all the problems we have run into are fewer and not as major as we have had with other trailers. As a result we are satisfied with our experience so far.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2023 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New owner of a 2023 Reflection 367BHS fifth wheel and I have the following. DVD/CD player/radio combo/ The tirelinc packages switched from valve stem sensors to internal sensors banded to the rim, so if you believe your rig was ordered with the tire linc, and you have the power supply and monitor you probably really have it even if you don't see sensors on the valve stems. We had just purchased a new mattress for our old 5er when we ended up purchasing the new rig. Dealer moved our new mattress to the GD and put the "POS New" mattress from the factory into our old unit since we traded it in as part of the deal. If you upgrade the mattress you may need to upgrade your (under the bed) struts as well if the mattress is heavier (most likely will be heavier).
    Even on the reflection line there are some things that are prepreeped vice included as standard or part of some package. My unit was "inverter prepped" but I had to have the dealer add it on the lot.
    Bill and Lisa
    Virginia Beach, Va
    2023 Reflection 367BHS
    2020 GMC 2500 Denali

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess the OP should've got a Reflection.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillandLisa View Post
    New owner of a 2023 Reflection 367BHS fifth wheel and I have the following. DVD/CD player/radio combo/ The tirelinc packages switched from valve stem sensors to internal sensors banded to the rim, so if you believe your rig was ordered with the tire linc, and you have the power supply and monitor you probably really have it even if you don't see sensors on the valve stems. We had just purchased a new mattress for our old 5er when we ended up purchasing the new rig. Dealer moved our new mattress to the GD and put the "POS New" mattress from the factory into our old unit since we traded it in as part of the deal. If you upgrade the mattress you may need to upgrade your (under the bed) struts as well if the mattress is heavier (most likely will be heavier).
    Even on the reflection line there are some things that are prepreeped vice included as standard or part of some package. My unit was "inverter prepped" but I had to have the dealer add it on the lot.
    That is interesting - on my 2023 Reflection 5th wheel, the included tire linc system uses the valve stem sensors - I guess they switched that mid-year on the '23s (I got my in August 2022).
    2023 Reflection 324 MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 | Laramie | 6.7L HO | SRW | 4x4 |

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked our fifth wheel up on 1 Apr 2023. There were ALOT of mid year changes. Skylight in hall replaced with a window, NO carpeting in main Bedroom. Outside J- channel color changed to white, outside TV hookup relocated.
    Bill and Lisa
    Virginia Beach, Va
    2023 Reflection 367BHS
    2020 GMC 2500 Denali

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my 22 278BH last November knowing full well I would not use it until this spring.... I bought a memory foam mattress from Sam's club for around $500 and immediately threw the mattress away without using it.
    The wifey did want the mattress cover off it so obliged, unzipped it and much to my NON-surprise the mattress was nothing more than thin fabric PVC layers(IDK about 15-20 sheets?) thats's it just just nylon/PVC whatever crap layers.
    They're made to throw away.
    Safe Travels,
    Bruce.
    2022 278BH 5th Wheel
    Tow Vehicle- 2023 F350 CCLB DRW, 7.3 gas, 4;30 gears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go even farther. I don't like the replacement mattress that I replaced the other replacement mattress with. Ended up with a mattress topper from Costco to finally get it right.

I have 2018 Reflection150 bunkhouse model that I bought in 2021. I bought it for the floorplan and didn't need the "half ton towable" class since I have a 1 ton truck. I know that a lightweight model will skimp on some things to save weight but holy crap the things I've had to reinforce just for safety and durability. Now that I've done all that I love the trailer but I think manufacturors in general take the cheap way out. Why else would they price the rv at a low msrp and then add in "mandatory options". While they are great features, they sure aren't optional.

My upgrades so far:
    1. add reinforcement braces under the flimsy plastic pans on either side of the front pass through storage. These were cracking when I bought the trailer adn there is NO support under them. So I put angle iron braces under them to prevent something from shifting around inside the storage and busting through these pans. They are directly in front of the trailer tires so there would be no way to avoid running over whatever fell out. I also keep my stuff in totes to prevent stuff from falling into these flimsy pans. I can't believe GD didn't put any support under them.
    2. add 3/4 thick plywood wall between the front battery storage area and the pass through storage just behind it. Original was a paper thin piece of paneling. I added extra batteries for dry camping and needed a solid place to mount the terminal posts, etc.
    3. add reinforcement to shower controls. I couldn't believe that the shower controls are not actually mounted to any type of framing, they are just screwed into the plastic shower panel wall. It's only a matter of time before the vibration cracks that. I carefully took out the back panel of my bedroom closet and added framing to support the shower controls. A little bit of corner trim in the closet and you can't even tell.
    4. GD split the heater "vent" (I"ll use the term loosely since it's really just a hole they cut in the floor)between the front bedroom and the bathroom. It's not ducted, an open hole in the floor under the bathroom cabinet allows air to move into a box under the bathroom sink and then a side vent cover (NOT a real vent, just a cover) in the bathroom and on the other side in the bedroom supposedly heats the front half of the trailer. All it did was create a superheated box under the bathroom sink that made even the cold water line spew out volcanic hot water. I put in a real duct to vent the heat to the bedroom only. I could have split it into the bathroom too but it doesn't need it.
    5. The living area only has one heater vent, all the way in the rear by the bunkhouse bedroom. The center and front of the living area get cold. Other GD models have a heater vent built into the steps to the bath/bedroom, but not the 150 models. I added less than 5 pounds of heater vent hose and fittings to put a heater vent in those steps. What a huge difference.
    There are several other small changes I have made to suit me.

In the model years from 2019 forward GD has updated the bunkhouse drawer unit and the outdoor kitchen set up for space efficiency. But they still have the large open storage cubby on the top shelf, with only a flimsy piece of wall panel as the floor of that cubby, with no support. I deconstructed the whole drawer unit and put the cubby on the floor so I could store cases of water and other things heavier than a pillow. I rebuilt the drawers deeper to reclaim 15" of dead space that was behind the original unit. I reused all of the original drawer fronts and trim so it looks factory made.

GD had also included and then removed the fireplace feature in the various years on the 150 models. I like the extra storage without the fireplace in my year trailer, and I just use a portable heater when I'm in an rv park.

So basically, changing out the crappy oem mattress is only the beginning of things you'll have to do to get your trailer ready for the road. Enjoy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my 2018 Reflection 150 the DVD/stereo unit is mounted sideways in the cabinet so the remote control is useless if you are sitting at the table. I bought a $25 sony DVD player that I just set on the counter so the remote actually connects. I'll probably upgrade it later to bluetooth, wifi, etc but it works for now. What a dumb design to position the built in DVD player facing the front of the trailer, away from the seating area.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I think no matter what mattress they put on there will be complainers. I prefer a hard mattress and would rail like you did if the put soft foam topper mattresses in our RV. Point us not everyone likes your style mattress.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast