Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

311 BHS Generator Options

I'm in the process of buying a generator to run our 311BHS.

Currently I have a Honda EU2200i. No soft starts, but will add next week. The majority of my needs for a generator will be at higher altitudes. 4000K - 11K. Mostly in the 4-5000 ft range.

Option 1 - buy the Honda Companion 2200 and parallel them together. The companion has the 30 amp plug on it.

Option 2 - buy two Champion 2500 dual fuel and parallel them together. I like the option of running on propane and not having gas fumes to deal with if I want to store them in the under storage. Down side - get an adaptor to go from the 110 plug to a 30 amp. This set up should run both my A/Cs w/soft starts.

Option 3 - Buy a Champion 5500 duel fuel inverter - put on a hitch haul on the back of the rig and leave it there. Worried somewhat about the weight bouncing around and harder to secure from theft. Probably don't have to worry about soft starts.

Option 4 - buy the Onan 4500 inverter. Same set up as option 3.

All 4 options are similar in price.

Any experience at running any of these options at higher altitude? I know I'll lose a little power on propane. Trying to balance weight vs fuel option vs output.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by gspbrad; 05-30-2023 at 07:55 AM.
    2022 Reflections 311BHS
    2022 Chevy 2500 LTZ
    Reese 16K Goose Box

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to Solar Systems and Generators.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gspbrad View Post
    I'm in the process of buying a generator to run our 311BHS.

Currently I have a Honda EU2200i. No soft starts, but will add next week. The majority of my needs for a generator will be at higher altitudes. 4000K - 11K. Mostly in the 4-5000 ft range.

Option 1 - buy the Honda Companion 2200 and parallel them together. The companion has the 30 amp plug on it.

Option 2 - buy two Champion 2500 dual fuel and parallel them together. I like the option of running on propane and not having gas fumes to deal with if I want to store them in the under storage. Down side - get an adaptor to go from the 110 plug to a 30 amp. This set up should run both my A/Cs w/soft starts.

Option 3 - Buy a Champion 5500 duel fuel inverter - put on a hitch haul on the back of the rig and leave it there. Worried somewhat about the weight bouncing around and harder to secure from theft. Probably don't have to worry about soft starts.

Option 4 - buy the Onan 4500 inverter. Same set up as option 3.

All 4 options are similar in price.

Any experience at running any of these options at higher altitude? I know I'll lose a little power on propane. Trying to balance weight vs fuel option vs output.

Thanks in advance!
    I live in CO and run my generator at high altitude all the time---nearly every camping trip. I have used the smaller ones that you can parallel together but now have a 6300 w Inverter Yamaha which I love more. I drop this generator in my truck at the beginning of the season and leave it there till we are done in the fall. It's 200 lbs and I drop it in the truck with a winch in my shop. I would not buy something that big if you need to move it regularly. Mine is gas and I chose that for a reason. Gas is way easier to get in the middle of nowhere and we regularly boondock to very remote places. I also did not want to deal with the de-rated power of propane and the de-rated power at altitude and not have enough generator. I use fuel stabilizer in the winter and my model has a fuel cutoff where you can run it dry when not using. It's super quiet and very clean even on gasoline.

I added a remote start to my generator and can start/stop it from inside the camper and love it. There are pros and cons to each of your scenarios. I would just pick the one that you believe will fit your needs the best. Most of our camping is up high so we rarely run the AC units as they are not needed. We now have solar and lithium batteries and will likely not rely very heavily on the generator in the future but the protection is nice to have.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks COGrandDes. No high altitude kits for the ginny?
    2022 Reflections 311BHS
    2022 Chevy 2500 LTZ
    Reese 16K Goose Box

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gspbrad View Post
    Thanks COGrandDes. No high altitude kits for the ginny?
    You're welcome. Mine does not have a high altitude kit installed and it runs fine. It doesn't bog down nor does it seem to be running rich or blowing black smoke. It you are worried about the A/F mixtures at altitude---I would get the Honda 7000w fuel injected model for altitude compensation. I've had ZERO trouble with mine though. I run 91 octane fuel in it.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box