User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

397TH with factory Solar (questions)

Good evening GD owners-

Just picked up my new 397TH, and it had the factory Solar… I have 2 panels on the roof, and the equip next to my genset, and the 2K converter I believe. My dealer gave me zero info on the system, how to see what it is doing, is there BlueTooth, etc etc etc. I am looking for the training wheels version on this stuff since I know nothing about it, but since I have it I want to use it the fullest extent I can. Thanks in advance.

Jason
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    Good evening GD owners-

Just picked up my new 397TH, and it had the factory Solar… I have 2 panels on the roof, and the equip next to my genset, and the 2K converter I believe. My dealer gave me zero info on the system, how to see what it is doing, is there BlueTooth, etc etc etc. I am looking for the training wheels version on this stuff since I know nothing about it, but since I have it I want to use it the fullest extent I can. Thanks in advance.

Jason
    You should have a control panel somewhere in the rig. Historically, in the bathroom on the toyhaulers. It will likely be a minimal display with very basic information.

The converter is basically an on or off operation. Leave it on, but know how to switch it on and off.

Photos and/or brands/models of the solar charge controller would help further info.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with @A.Texas.Yankee, pictures would be a big help. There are a lot of different variables in how rigs are configured, as they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words."
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Agree with @A.Texas.Yankee, pictures would be a big help. There are a lot of different variables in how rigs are configured, as they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words."
    sorry I didn’t post pics first, it’s an excellent call out!

below are the pics.

thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1087.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	46588

Name:	IMG_1088.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	46589

Name:	IMG_1090.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	46590

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that display is for the inverter only. You will see some information about battery voltage state and inverter status, but probably not much else.

For your solar charge controller and based on your photo, I would say you don't have any communication for that solar charge controller (I only see 12v I/O for PV/BAT).

You might think about installing a Bluetooth shunt (such as the famous Victron BMV-712 Smart). That would give you more information.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your time and info @ A.Texax.Yankee

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your time and info @ A.Texax.Yankee
    You won't find much on the brand. It's a private label, rebranded specifically for the manufacturer. It's very common in the solar world for RV manufacturers. It's so confusing and unnecessary, in my opinion (here's looking at you Battleborn/Dragonfly)...

What you have is a TBB Power Mobile MPPT controller

There's not much out there on the interwebs about it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You again ...Is it easier to just get a better MPPT controller one with BT built in and go from there, versus getting a monitor shunt in your opinion?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You again ...Is it easier to just get a better MPPT controller one with BT built in and go from there, versus getting a monitor shunt in your opinion?
    No. A better MPPT controller will not offer a benefit. Unless you plan to expand your solar capabilities and want to incorporate the existing solar panels. I often recommend leaving the existing system and adding a separate solar system to it, but that really depends on your intended setup.

A shunt is worth it either way because it gives you far better information about your system vs just a Smart MPPT. Something similar to the BMV will give you details about voltages, battery state of charge (what % of battery you have left), amp draw (real-time and historical), etc.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    No. A better MPPT controller will not offer a benefit. Unless you plan to expand your solar capabilities and want to incorporate the existing solar panels. I often recommend leaving the existing system and adding a separate solar system to it, but that really depends on your intended setup.

A shunt is worth it either way because it gives you far better information about your system vs just a Smart MPPT. Something similar to the BMV will give you details about voltages, battery state of charge (what % of battery you have left), amp draw (real-time and historical), etc.
    OK, so I got a Victron Smart Shunt, and I have read the destructions… I am an engineer and I totally understand what is illustrated and stated. I have some questions though for those of you with the smart shunts…

So, I have factory Solar. My MPPT which was supposed to be a Jaboni per the build sheet is not that, and I have proof of that and have asked GDRV for the documentation for the device regardless of how good or bad the device is…
    But, the shunt is to connect to the neg battery terminal and the other side needs all the load on the Neg side. If I am tying to monitor my battery for solar charging, and measuring available battery via SOC, do I need to move all the load Neg wires including the neg for the inverter? Looking for advice, opinions, and ideas so I can get the load, charge info, and anything else the Smart shunt can show me since I have no way to confirm the solar is doing “anything” at this point . Thanks in advance for your time and any responses!!!

Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast