User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ​As you creep into leaf peeping season a site will get harder to find. If you find a spot book it , don't hesitate to do so.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 06-06-2023 at 06:10 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost anywhere along the coast is nice. Our favorites stops are Grand Haven, Silver Lake (dunes), and Ludington. Good luck and hope you enjoy our wonderful state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stayed in Calumet, MI - Beware of insects

I loved the area, however, the biting insects were the worst I had ever seen. Despite using the best bug spray, screened in areas, using foggers, the bugs were relentless. The bugs penetrated every form of resistance. Biting flies, “no see ums ” mosquitoes, and who knows what else, completely ruined any outdoor activities. Every beach was totally infested. Beware.
    Matt
    2021 Momentum 376THS FW
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Cummins DRW LB
    B&W Companion 25K Splendide Washer and Dryer Separate DV6400X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SW Michigan wineries

Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Planning a trip for September, maybe early October time frame to the Lake Michigan coast for 2 weeks.
    We could of course go all the way up to Traverse City area, but that'll take us 3 days from E. Tennessee, so I'd like to see what might be a nice place to land that we can drive to in 2 days, so more SW and Central Michigan. I know there are many great beaches and town all along the coast - I lived there when I was a toddler but it's been many years.

We really enjoy wineries, when we can fit it in, but nice weather, beaches, and hiking are the better draws. We'll definitively go after Labor day, so not too worried about crowds by then.

On these very general parameters, what's a good destination or two?
    Try and visit Tabor Hill Winery in St. Joseph. They started humbly in the mid 1970’s with many gold medals in blind taste tests with Napa Valley wines and stood up to wines from Rhine River region of Germany. Climate in this region of Michigan is similar to the wine region of Germany.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed a few days at a nice county park (Pioneer?) near Muskegon last summer. For large RV’s, the sites farthest from the lake are the largest and nicest. Book as early as you can; we struggled to find a suitable location in SW Michigan for our Solitude 2930RL.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michigan State Parks - Amazing access to the Great Lakes

Mears State Park in Pentwater has the most amazing sand we've ever seen. You can get sites that back right up to sand dunes.
    Wilderness Stage Park is at the top of the lower peninsula near Mackinaw. The whole East Loop is new this year.
    Brimley State Park is near the Soo locks

We stayed at all of these last summer and are spending 37 nights in Michigan State Parks this July-September
    The state parks generally open up after Labor Day. I've seen openings at these park this morning.
    Most sites are just electric but worth it. The reservation website is about the best I've seen. It shows pictures of the site as well as a description like: level, shade in early morning and evening
    Note: Out of state vehicles need to purchase a $39 annual pass for access (or lots of daily passes). Nightly prices are $27-41
    BTW: We did not like Van Buren state park. Very tight sights and poor access to water.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Looks like some places do clear out after Labor day, after all.
    Found a nice CG in South Haven, mid September.
    Thanks for the info everyone!
    Glad you found something. One of my favorite areas to camp. Over 14 wineries in the area and try to make it up to Saugatuck for a day. If you belong to an American Legion, stop by the Legion in South Haven. Safe travels!
    2016 29RS
    2008 2500 Chevy Duramax Diesel CC LTZ
    Prev 5er 2010 Outback 321FRL
    1994 Chevy 6.5TD 2500 ext Cab
    25ft Coachman Catalina TT
    Skamper Pop UP
    Various tents
    ALL great memories:D

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pretty spectacular park on the NORTH side of the Mackinaw bridge is the Straits State Park. Further if you are interested, I highly recommend seeing Whitefish Point. Lots of Edmund Fitzgerald stuff there. I was impressed - they have the original ship's bell (replaced with a duplicate on the wreckage).
    These are NOT in the lower peninsula however and crossing the Mackinaw bridge is not of the faint of heart - open grid work driving surface. Still semi's do it all the time so I can TOO.
    Something else interesting is that we took a steamer back across Lake Michigan to get home to MN. About the same cost as diesel driving thru Chicago but certainly different. Probably wouldn't do it again but definitely different. BTW, pets have to stay in the vehicle and our dog was traumatized for a couple hours afterwards.
    2018 Ram 3500 with AS69RC Aisin transmission and Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12