User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downsizingmakescents View Post
    We just left lees ferry last week did a kayak run down the Colorado, bend to lees ferry. We thought we were going to the north rim but closed until June 2nd.

We will be doing Utah big 5 over the next 6 weeks or so.
    You will enjoy your Utah trip. You have some Fantastic memories coming your way! We did it last year. Bryce, Zion, Canyon Lands, Dead Horse Point, Arches. Grand Staircase Escalante, Moab is a phenomenal place. While we were staying close to Bryce Canyon in Hatch UT, we drove down into Arizona and Monument Valley, Navajo Reservation and spent the day there. On another day we left the RV at Bryce and drove down to Grand Canyon North Rim and stayed overnight at the Lodge.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday we entered the Grand Canyon South Rim through the East Entrance from Cameron. The East Entrance gate is 80 miles from Flagstaff up highway 89 to road 64 that goes into the park. It is a pleasant drive, scenic and there were several canyon views outside of the park.

I should add that it looks like they are beefing up the East Entrance with new construction. There is a gas station, 3 visitor center shops, a couple places to eat, a coffee bar and they are building new bathrooms.

We drove the 22 miles along road 64 and the South Rim going West to the South Entrance and out of the park. There was no waiting at the East Entrance gate at 1021 AM. This 22 mile stretch of road 64 you can drive with your personal vehicle around the South rim of the Grand Canyon. This was sooooo much better than going in the South Entrance. The South entrance and village is over run with people and traffic, you could wait in traffic 2 hours just to get through the entrance gate.

For people who have not experienced the South Rim of the Grand Canyon it may sound confusing with the gates and directions. I'll try to explain, For the South Rim the focal point midway of the Canyon is the South entrance and the Grand Canyon Village. From the South entrance village going West to Hermits Rest is accessible through the summer only by tour or shuttle bus.

From the South entrance village going East to Desert View & Watchtower is 22 miles on road 64 to the East entrance and drivable with your personal vehicle. There are several pull offs, picnic areas and parking lots to view the Canyon at Grandview Point, Buggeln, Moran Point Lipan Point, Navajo Point and the Desert View Watchtower. This route is very similar to driving the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It isn't nearly as crowded and over run with people, there was always parking at the points with our 1 ton dually and the views were fantastic!

Now the South Rim is very accessible to the public as Interstate 40 runs within 60 miles of the park from Williams AZ so naturally it is over run with visitors, people, traffic and is very touristy.

The North Rim is not as accessible for the public as there is no major interstate or town close. You drive through the Kaibab Forest on mostly 2 lane roads for scenic miles to get there and the main focal point is the North Rim Lodge, so it is not nearly as crowded or touristy and over run with people. There are miles of park roads you can drive and visit all the points of interest on the North Rim with little traffic and not overrun with people. That's why most people say they prefer the North Rim instead of the South Rim. But we found the way to enjoy the South Rim - the East Entrance.

Hope this helps for future visitors to the Grand Canyon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-02-2023 at 11:45 AM. Reason: additional
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up Stephen, you explained it very well....and if anyone has any questions about it, you can always bring up a google map and follow Stephen's directions.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kanab is a good base. You can take day trips to Bryce, Zion and North Rim from there.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We are trying to do and see everything in this area before we move on. Tami says she wants to go to Winslow AZ and stand on the corner! I told her she might get arrested for that!!

"Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine sight to see. There's a girl my lord in a flat bed ford slowing down to take a look at me."
    Well guess where we went today?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2454.jpg   IMG_2461.jpg   IMG_4673.jpg   IMG_4665.jpg   IMG_4670.jpg  

Last edited by Steven@147; 06-04-2023 at 04:51 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good going. Just "Take it Easy".

Did you visit the meteor crater? Not a major thing by any stretch, but I thought it was kind of cool the first time I saw it. To me it was pretty impressive.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Good going. Just "Take it Easy".

Did you visit the meteor crater? Not a major thing by any stretch, but I thought it was kind of cool the first time I saw it. To me it was pretty impressive.
    No we passed on the meteor crater. Of course we had to visit all the shops around the "Standing On The Corner" intersection and we ate lunch at the Flatbed Ford Café. The weather got ugly on our way back so we just headed to the RV in Williams, Thanks for recommending a visit to Winslow, Tami sure got a kick out of it!

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eagles.....my all time favorite group.....I saw them in concert 4 times before Glen Frye passed away. First time was the summer that the "Hell Freezes Over" Tour came around....just AWESOME!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    No we passed on the meteor crater. Of course we had to visit all the shops around the "Standing On The Corner" intersection and we ate lunch at the Flatbed Ford Café. The weather got ugly on our way back so we just headed to the RV in Williams, Thanks for recommending a visit to Winslow, Tami sure got a kick out of it!
    Not sure how much more time you have in that area but Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater Volcano NP should not be missed. They are both a short drive north of Flagstaff.

Sounds like you are still our there having fun. Enjoy the journey. Thanks for posting your travels, it brings back lots of memories.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Eagles.....my all time favorite group.....I saw them in concert 4 times before Glen Frye passed away. First time was the summer that the "Hell Freezes Over" Tour came around....just AWESOME!
    I'm older and never listened to the Eagles though all of my kids would have loved this. But if you have ever watched the movie American Graffiti, Asbury Park, NJ was exactly like that in the mid-60s to early 70s. Every night I didn't work, down to the strip and convention hall. Drag racing from every light (probably 200 yds apart) and nearly every early R&R band at convention hall for a $4-$5 ticket. Kept us off the streets - more or less.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast