User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not recall the codes as it was a mechanic in a shop in Golden BC the found and cleared them so I could get to the closest GM dealer close to 150 miles away. The mechanic said I would be best served to go to the dealer as it may have been warranty. It was only when they found the poor fit and dirty MAF sensor that they told me I was on for the repair. I was also pulling my 310GK at the time. Also, I did not have anything burn up, to clarify. It is also of interest that my DEF usage was considerable before the repair.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    What error codes did the computer throw. The dealer likely pulled these.

I assume the fuel filter near the fuel tank burned up.
    My question was to OP wrp 75 co. I should have been more clear.

There could have been a low fuel pressure code indicating a leak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    OP--do you know what actually burned?

Wild guess is that the DPF is not the root cause of the problem but when it got to its normally very high temperature during regen it started something else external to DPF to overheat. Improper assembly of fuel filter near the fuel tank (not far from DPF) is a reasonable possibility. Inspection for fuel leaks after filter change is a must.
    The diesel particulate filter is not very close to the fuel filters on a 2014 ram.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The error before the dealership worked on the truck was CODE P 0 1 0 6 MANIFOLD PRESSURE LOST.

I think they pulled a code after it caught on fire, and noted that one (or more) of the filters needed to be replaced. I'm pretty sure it was an incomplete diagnosis, because I'm also pretty sure Ram didn't program a code for "Your truck caught on fire and almost burned up."
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp75_CO View Post
    The error before the dealership worked on the truck was CODE P 0 1 0 6 MANIFOLD PRESSURE LOST.

I think they pulled a code after it caught on fire, and noted that one (or more) of the filters needed to be replaced. I'm pretty sure it was an incomplete diagnosis, because I'm also pretty sure Ram didn't program a code for "Your truck caught on fire and almost burned up."
    Great sense of humor, especially considering what you have gone through!
    I wonder if the filter change code is based on pressure loss (in this case fuel leak).

The whole exhaust system is incredibly hot during regen. DPF is up wind from rear filter so fuel loss at filter would not get to DPF.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the DPF & or catalyst to catch fire, there had to be an excessive amount of fuel being dumped into the exhaust system causing the extra soot on the screen and overheating the catalyst. Def only cleans the screen (DPF). It does not heat it up. The warnings it was giving you indicated that the exhaust back pressure was building up beyond normal operating levels. If the engine oil level was over filled it is possible to cause the condition you incurred. The engine would have pulled the extra oil into the intake flooding the engine with oil.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelMarc View Post
    For the DPF & or catalyst to catch fire, there had to be an excessive amount of fuel being dumped into the exhaust system causing the extra soot on the screen and overheating the catalyst. Def only cleans the screen (DPF). It does not heat it up. The warnings it was giving you indicated that the exhaust back pressure was building up beyond normal operating levels. If the engine oil level was over filled it is possible to cause the condition you incurred. The engine would have pulled the extra oil into the intake flooding the engine with oil.
    JoelMarc or anyone else: With a lot of oil going through exhaust system would there be an error code(s), pollution related or other?

Also, since diesels can have issues with diluted oil and the oil level increase over time (not referring to the OPs engine), would we see many similar fires to OP due to excess oil also? I did a search and could not find anything mentioning exhaust/DPF fires due to excess oil or diluted oil.

Would it be useful to ask a RAM representative what caused the fire? Can excess oil cause a fire like this? What can cause fires like this...?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After rereading the posts, there was no fire, just an overheated catalyst. As for extra codes due to the oil flooding in the exhaust I doubt it. Ford intentionally floods the exhaust during a regen cycle to burn off the ash on the DPF. He also mentions high DEF usage. Was it leaking? Was it a failure of the DEF injector? We don't know. I have had several Cummins Diesels in Dodge truck have issues with the DEF system and not always pop a code until it is too late. Once the DEF system fails the DPF can't be cleaned and ash builds up restricting the exhaust until it chokes the motor out. Extremely high exhaust backpressure theoretically can overfill the intake with exhaust when the EGR opens causing fluctuations in the map sensor readings. The code P0106 means irratic sensor performance. It does not mean loss of pressure in the manifold. The map will read the same as the Baro sensor with key on engine off about 29.5 inches. At idle and deceleration the pressure will be much lower. Anything that causes it to read out of spec pops the code. Again it means irratic sensor performance. If the circuit was open or shorted there is a different code for those. It is difficult to diagnose a vehicle without seeing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After rereading the posts, there was no fire, just an overheated catalyst.
    I respectfully disagree. There were flames coming out of the bottom of the truck, the fire department felt like it would be a good idea to hose down the truck for ~ 20 min, and the top of the fuel tank literally burned off. There was a pile of ash in the parking lot caused by the components that burned.

He also mentions high DEF usage.
    Someone else may have mentioned high DEF usage - it seemed to be used at a normal rate for me.

Again, thank you all for the comments. It helps give me an idea as to what MIGHT have happened.
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wrp75_CO Did anything burn in the engine area? I assumed not with the cost at $15k and guessed that it would be higher if engine was heavily impacted in the fire.

Up until the fire, did the engine operate normally?

Is the truck engine and emission system totally stock?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast