Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC short cycling.

Dometic 15k AC and Dometic soft touch thermostat short cycles my AC. It comes for about a mimute and then shuts off in about a minute and repeats this. Seems specific to when the temp outside is close to the temp inside. Sometimes it's the fan only and I don't hear the compressor kick in before it shuts off again.

There is no vent pointing at the thermostat so it's not that. Hell, I'm not even sure the thermostat has the temperature sensor in it.

It's very annoying.

I'd also like to repeat how brutal this site is on mobile.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 7.3 XLT Crew Cab

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
    Dometic 15k AC and Dometic soft touch thermostat short cycles my AC. It comes for about a mimute and then shuts off in about a minute and repeats this. Seems specific to when the temp outside is close to the temp inside. Sometimes it's the fan only and I don't hear the compressor kick in before it shuts off again.

There is no vent pointing at the thermostat so it's not that. Hell, I'm not even sure the thermostat has the temperature sensor in it.

It's very annoying.

There have been a few threads here on the short-cycle issue. Some have found moving the sensor helps.

As far as displaying the site on mobile, my phone (Android) uses the Google Chrome browser. It has the option to display the desktop version of the site. Since that results in pretty small type, I'll often turn the phone on its side to get a horizontal display which allows me to zoom in a bit.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    There have been a few threads here on the short-cycle issue. Some have found moving the sensor helps.

As far as displaying the site on mobile, my phone (Android) uses the Google Chrome browser. It has the option to display the desktop version of the site. Since that results in pretty small type, I'll often turn the phone on its side to get a horizontal display which allows me to zoom in a bit.
    Where is the temperature sensor? I assume not in the thermostat? That's where I thought it would be but that POS thermostat doesn't have much going on.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is the temperature sensor? I assume not in the thermostat? That's where I thought it would be but that POS thermostat doesn't have much going on.
    In some AC units it is in the unit itself. Not surprising that it signals cold too soon. This link might help: https://www.google.com/search?q=gran...&ie=UTF-8#ip=1
    Stephen and Judy

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephen and Judy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a somewhat related question to my Dometic AC issues, where can I get the app that can control my HVAC through Bluetooth? My t-stat is a Bluetooth enabled unit as the Bluetooth symbol is on it and I can see the symbol flashing. Apparently the app is called Dometic CT or CTBT but it's nowhere to be found.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's very annoying.

Sometimes, short cycling can also be an indicator of lack of refrigerant in the system, and if that is the case, your unit has a refrigerant leak. Is this something that just started happening, or has it been doing this for some time? You might want to go up on the roof and pull the A/C shroud/cover off of the unit and look around at the refrigeration lines, the compressor itself, the evap and condensor coils.....anything and everything that is in the refrigeration loop. If you see an oily looking spot, it's probably a sign that there is a leak, since there is refrigerant oil in the system also.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Sometimes, short cycling can also be an indicator of lack of refrigerant in the system, and if that is the case, your unit has a refrigerant leak. Is this something that just started happening, or has it been doing this for some time? You might want to go up on the roof and pull the A/C shroud/cover off of the unit and look around at the refrigeration lines, the compressor itself, the evap and condensor coils.....anything and everything that is in the refrigeration loop. If you see an oily looking spot, it's probably a sign that there is a leak, since there is refrigerant oil in the system also.
    It's our first real trip out with the new trailer so it's the first time using it other than for a couple of minutes at the dealer walkthrough to make sure it worked.

It cools fine up to the point where it starts to short cycle.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's our first real trip out with the new trailer so it's the first time using it other than for a couple of minutes at the dealer walkthrough to make sure it worked.

It cools fine up to the point where it starts to short cycle.
    99.9% sure then it's not a refrigerant leak....that's good news because they are not made to be repaired and recharged. It can be done of course, but ....Anyway, it's not that.

One thing that kind of stands out to me, that you mentioned is that it seems to run fine, but starts acting up and short cycling when the outside temperatures are close to the inside temps. In those instances, it's pretty easy for the evaporator to freeze up...or at least the freeze sensor to take the unit off line, then back on...like what yours is doing. One of the solutions for that is to make sure that the fan speed is on high.....more airflow across the evaporator. Something you may want to look at too is while it is running normally (no short cycling yet), as soon as it starts the short cycling, be ready to pull off the inside cover and look to see if the evap is starting to freeze up. Also, you need to make sure that the freeze sensor in the evap coil is placed where it is suppose to be and definitely not just hanging by the wires. They normally are clipped to the fins on the evap. coil, but I don't know where Dometic places theirs exactly.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    99.9% sure then it's not a refrigerant leak....that's good news because they are not made to be repaired and recharged. It can be done of course, but ....Anyway, it's not that.
    Seriously, the AC units are basically disposable?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast