User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Dan, if you get the Renogy Eclipse panels you will be very impressed at the performance. I have 6 x 100w of the regular Renogy panels and 2 x 100w of the Eclipse panels. Those Eclipse panels almost always run at max when the sun is out unlike the regular panels. Very happy with them (had to put them on their own controller so I could see the difference).

The part number is normally:

SKU: RNG-KIT-STCS200MB-NC-CA

just remove the CA suffix for USA. That is for the one without controller but there should be a part number with a controller if you want the basic Renogy charge controller included but honestly it’s pretty basic and is usually only PWM, you want MPPT these days.

—-

Personally I don’t use any of the lower end Furrion or Renogy Solar Charge Controllers, they are too expensive once you add the Bluetooth module(s) and don’t communicate to each other. Your into Victron territory by the time you do which is a much higher quality unit.

I replace them with Victron SmartSolar MPPT controllers which include Bluetooth built in and can network over Bluetooth to con-ordinate charging from multiple controllers (VE Smart Networking). The phone app is also really nice to monitor them (Victron Connect).

Of course shop around on Amazon or any local suppliers the price can really very especially on Amazon. For that Renogy kit 2x100 panels (Voc of 21.6v for 43.2 max voltage) and ISC of 6.1 for a total of 12.2 amps, you only need a 75/15 MPPT controller (first number is voltage, second is max charging current). Should be about $100 to $120 max USD.

Avoid the BlueSolar ones, they are cheaper but don’t have Bluetooth built in. You want SmartSolar.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...33&sr=8-3&th=1

Cheers
    Tim
    Last edited by Thorvald; 06-04-2023 at 08:19 AM.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Furrion controller, that came with your rig, is a very basic unit. There is no bluetooth or anything to "see" whats happening. If you did wire the portable panel to this same controller (so roof and portable are both on it), you would be at the mercy of which panel is shaded most. If they are combined, you don't get the best of both. Shade on one will clobber what goes to controller. Also, getting the max charge current from the arrays (what is printed on back of panel) is not going to happen. Length/size of wires, intensity of sun, angle of sun, shade etc.. will dictate what you get from them. Even a leaf that falls on a panel will affect output. Portable panels are nice if you babysit them (move them as sun angle changes) as well as make sure they don't grow legs! Figuring out how to protect them when not in use is another issue. Putting each panel on its own controller will assure each will operate without considering the other. Yes you "just" connect each controller to the battery. Be mindful of wire size from controller to battery, it really does matter.

As for AGM batteries, it would be useful to know the max charge you can deliver to them. Some will only charge at a certain rate and boil off whatever "extra" they cannot handle.

Be forwarned, whenever questions about solar start, you quickly learn there is no budget friendly approach.
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duner733 View Post
    We have the 2023 xls lde with the 165w solar package.
    We don't boondock very often so I am pumping the breaks on cost of updating the panels and we have a generator. I don't want to run the generator for 16 hours though.
    I am hoping to get a bit more solar without breaking the bank and any rewiring/extra controllers etc.
    I am debating on the solar suitcase at 200ws realizing it will probably only work at 165w.
    These apparently connect directly to the batteries.
    My concern is having 2 different solar platforms could damage the battery or anything else.

Does anyone else have a setup like this?
    I would love to hear opinions regarding this setup.

Thank you

Dan
    Dan---good morning. I have done what you are asking and it works great. You can just add this external port ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to your existing bus bar or batteries concurrently with the one that came from GD. I expanded my initial solar footprint with additional Renogy panels and added them to my existing Furrion solar charge controller. I now have 565 watts of solar running through the existing Furrion 50A solar controller. I then have a 200w Zamp suitcase (2x100w panels) connected externally (if needed) into my main 12v bus bar. Each controller works independently of the other with the goal of never exceeding the max voltage and amps to your batteries. I have 575 aH of LiP04 batteries and have not been using the external suitcase yet this year because of the ones on the roof but there may be a time when I need to augment with them. I also have the 12v fridge and am very happy so far with it's electrical draws and it's performance. Hope that helps! We boondock 100% of the time and that's why I installed the system for that purpose. I have done my upgrades for a fraction of what other's have spent I am told.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to Solar Systems and Generators.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the Renogy suitcase comes with a controller.
    I guess I keep getting concerned with having two different controllers to charge my batteries.
    I hope I am making more of it than I should be but I am proceeding with caution.
    In addition to my GD 5th wheel I also have a remote cabin in the Utah mountains. It's off grid so I use solar/inverter for everyday use and a back up generator for high demand things. I have 6 batteries that I get from the local mobility cart service shop (the scooters you see in Walmart) for about $50 bucks each. They are about 6 months old when they change them out and I've had this set for almost 5 seasons. They are wired in parallel to a terminal block for even charging to each battery by the 3 different controllers. I bring them down in the winter and keep them on solar when they are stored in my shed.

My solar set up at the cabin is 3 sets of 3 each 100 watt Renogy panels for a total of 9 panels. I use a separate controller for each array of 3 panels to keep the loads in spec. The reason I do this instead of one large array is due to the trees on my mountain lot and the sun movement during the day. I'm in a small canyon and the trees are thick and tall so there isn't one location that gets enough sun all day to recharge my batteries. I've had this setup for 5 years and haven't had a single problem.

I also have solar on my house and I researched that quite a bit before I got it 8 years ago. Each of the 26 panels on my house have a micro-inverter, so there are 26 micro-inverters each controlling a single panel. This is more efficient than one large inverter for the entire array, since when 1 panel gets shaded only that panel is affected if it has its own inverter. On a whole array inverter the ENTIRE array drops down to the output of the single lowest panel. That's why it's incredibly dumb to use one inverter for a large home system, but it's cheaper to install.

The same would be true for the charge controllers in your RV setup. you have your roof mounted panels on one charge controller and if you upgraded that controller to handle more panels the entire system output would drop if you had afternoon shade, etc. By having a portable second array you could position that array in any place to maximize sun. Having a second controller for that portable array will not harm your system and it will be the most efficient output. I bought my 2018 5th used and it is wired for solar but the first owner didn't have panels and I haven't added any permanent ones. I do have 3 more Renogy panels for my RV that I take along with me if I'm going to be camping off grid. I have 4 of those deep cycle scooter batteries in my 5th, wired in parallel to a main terminal block for the even charging/discharging noted above. I have a plug i wired to that terminal block that I plug my solar panels into for easy connection when I set them up. I keep them portable so I can park the 5th in the shade but have the panels out in the full sun. Best of both worlds.

My 5th with the 4 batteries and it's 3 solar panels also does double duty as a "guest house" at my mountain cabin during the summer. I park it up there on a shaded pad and place the solar panels out in a small clearing to keep the batteries charged. They are full and ready to go every time I go up. You will be just fine using two controllers to charge your batteries. Just make sure each battery receives an equal amount of charge from your setup.
    2018 Reflection150 290BH
    2017 Ram 3500 long bed 4x4

1998 Fleetwood Wilderness 285s (sold in 2021 after 20 years)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still waiting to hear from my service department if there is a solar port to add.
    If not, most look like they are saying it is ok to wire directly to the batteries as long as a controller is involved there as well.
    Did you have to buy some adapter to go straight to the batteries or since you may have used a different controller that was not your setup?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of my concerns as this has come from my dealership when asking this question.

" the issue with trying to add a carry out solar panel is that, they have their own solar charger. when you hook the carry out up to the batteries the trailer solar charger senses the up in voltage and will shut off charging. "

Any thoughts or opinions on this comment?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of my concerns as this has come from my dealership when asking this question.

" the issue with trying to add a carry out solar panel is that, they have their own solar charger. when you hook the carry out up to the batteries the trailer solar charger senses the up in voltage and will shut off charging. "

Any thoughts or opinions on this comment?
    So it is correct that additional charging sources will cause adjustments in how much each controller sends to the batteries. But unless the batteries are fully charged, no, none of the chargers will "shut off charging." They may charge at a lower rate, but most likely the total amount (all charging sources) going to the batteries will match the most they can take on.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    So it is correct that additional charging sources will cause adjustments in how much each controller sends to the batteries. But unless the batteries are fully charged, no, none of the chargers will "shut off charging." They may charge at a lower rate, but most likely the total amount (all charging sources) going to the batteries will match the most they can take on.
    We have a winner!!
    Will Prowse has a You tube where he proves this,
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that guy has a ton of videos.
    Going to have to figure out how to search 'em down lol.
    Thanks for the idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast