User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New water pump wont pressurize and shut off

I have a 2021 Imagine 2450rl. Currently on 9 month trip. I do not have the full Nautilus panel - just the simple setup and do not change any settings. My rig is always set to "city water". When I fill fresh tank, I do it from outside. I added an accumulator tank 1 year ago. I use the water pump often (either camping with no water hookup, or using pump for showers to get increased water pressure). I've replaced the SureFlo 4008 water pump a couple times already.

Two days ago I noticed reduced pressure when the pump was on. I went where I can listen to pump and found it was not shutting off - not building pressure. I see no leaks at the pump and have 3 bars of water (probably 30+ gallons). I've had similar problems before and checked the filter right before the pump and found no cracks or build up. Replacing pump has solved problem in the past. I replaced the pump and filter again yesterday, but pump just keeps running with out building pressure. I see no water leaks from fixtures or underbelly.

I'm afraid I missed some step when replacing pump that is preventing it from building pressure. I ran the pump while my wife opened all faucets to try to purge air. Pump runs with decreased pressure and does not shut off.

I searched forum and could not find answer

Help!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like an air leak someplace in the pump or lines. Tracking it down could be difficult but could be the only cure.
    Definately a test in patients!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not familiar with your setup, but doesn’t “City Water” mean your RV is supplied by a pressurized supply and the pump is bypassed? Also, I’m not sure how an accumulator tank would impact an RV pump. You would always be pumping against an air bladder and never against an incompressible water volume downstream of the pump. I’m having a hard time understanding how an accumulator tank adds value in an RV. Also, by my count you’re on your fourth pump in a few years. That seems like a lot.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If pump continues to run, and you have no water leaks, then it is bypassing the water back to the fresh water holding tank......Valves not set right, of valve is defective...the "city water" valve....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    I’m not familiar with your setup, but doesn’t “City Water” mean your RV is supplied by a pressurized supply and the pump is bypassed? Also, I’m not sure how an accumulator tank would impact an RV pump. You would always be pumping against an air bladder and never against an incompressible water volume downstream of the pump. I’m having a hard time understanding how an accumulator tank adds value in an RV. Also, by my count you’re on your fourth pump in a few years. That seems like a lot.
    An accumulator tank helps a lot when running off fresh water tank and trying to limit water used. At a small trickle the pump pulses a couple times a second. With an accumulator tank water is pressurized in the tank and the pump cycles on and off every 5-10 seconds, instead of a couple times a second.

My "city water" comment was just meant to clarify that i do not change the settings on my panel and use the external opening to add fresh water.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure your check valve in the filter assy is pointed in the correct direction, that could cause the problem you are having.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    It sounds like an air leak someplace in the pump or lines. Tracking it down could be difficult but could be the only cure.
    Definately a test in patients!
    Just spent a lot of money for shop to pressure test system. Found crimp Pex connections letting in air and a bad valve on panel. They fixed leaks and replaced valve.

Now just need to hope all the other connections in the trailer don’t fail. 😀

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eeshelman View Post
    An accumulator tank helps a lot when running off fresh water tank and trying to limit water used. At a small trickle the pump pulses a couple times a second. With an accumulator tank water is pressurized in the tank and the pump cycles on and off every 5-10 seconds, instead of a couple times a second.

My "city water" comment was just meant to clarify that i do not change the settings on my panel and use the external opening to add fresh water.
    Ok, makes sense. An accumulator tank is useful to reduce pump cycling. Usually when my pump won't stop it's because I've got an air pocket in the system someplace.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW