User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering an upgrade to a fifth wheel Reflection??

Greetings,

I've always found the people on the forum to be so helpful. I have another group of questions.

We are considering an upgrade from our Imagine 2500RL to a fifth wheel Reflection 260RD, 1/2 ton towable. We can upgrade without changing my tow vehicle, which is a 2015 Ford F-150 3.5 liter Ecoboost with 4 wheel drive. I have not had any real problems with towing the Imagine even going over the Rocky Mountains, it slowed down going to the crest but still made it over.

The sales rep assures me the Reflection 260RD is truly 1/2 ton towable. The added dry weight is about 1600 pounds with the Reflection 260RD. I'm guessing our contents add another 1000 pounds. The increase would go from about 7000 pounds loaded weight on the Imagine to 8600 pounds loaded weight on the Reflection. Anybody out there with real experience at that transition?

I get an average of 9.5 miles per gallon when towing the Imagine. Could I expect that to be further reduced by the Reflection?

The Imagine is our first camper trailer and we have been really happy with it, although it starts to feel a little cramped after a week or more. Is the Reflection going to be a lot better? It is only about 4 feet longer than the Imagine.

Are there issues or problems with towing and maintaining a fifth wheel that you don't have with a regular trailer?

Are there advantages of towing and maintaining a fifth wheel trailer?

If you have made this kind of upgrade, I would appreciate your perspective.

Thanks

Chris

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest issue you'll run into is exceeding your trucks GVWR with a 5th wheel. Your first thing to do is take your current truck to the CAT scale loaded as you would for a camping trip, including people. See what your total weight is and subtract from the truck's GVWR. Your answer will tell you what is left for hitch and 5th wheel pin weight. 5th wheel hitches could be about 200lbs. 22% is a fair estimate for pin weight. Take 22% of trailer weight (loaded) and that will be approximate pin weight.

Also, NEVER listen to the salesman who said it will be OK. Just because it's marketed as 1/2 ton towable, doesn't mean it is for your specific setup.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paul View Post
    Greetings,

I've always found the people on the forum to be so helpful. I have another group of questions.

We are considering an upgrade from our Imagine 2500RL to a fifth wheel Reflection 260RD, 1/2 ton towable. We can upgrade without changing my tow vehicle, which is a 2015 Ford F-150 3.5 liter Ecoboost with 4 wheel drive. I have not had any real problems with towing the Imagine even going over the Rocky Mountains, it slowed down going to the crest but still made it over.

The sales rep assures me the Reflection 260RD is truly 1/2 ton towable. The added dry weight is about 1600 pounds with the Reflection 260RD. I'm guessing our contents add another 1000 pounds. The increase would go from about 7000 pounds loaded weight on the Imagine to 8600 pounds loaded weight on the Reflection. Anybody out there with real experience at that transition?

I get an average of 9.5 miles per gallon when towing the Imagine. Could I expect that to be further reduced by the Reflection?

The Imagine is our first camper trailer and we have been really happy with it, although it starts to feel a little cramped after a week or more. Is the Reflection going to be a lot better? It is only about 4 feet longer than the Imagine.

Are there issues or problems with towing and maintaining a fifth wheel that you don't have with a regular trailer?

Are there advantages of towing and maintaining a fifth wheel trailer?

If you have made this kind of upgrade, I would appreciate your perspective.

Thanks

Chris
    For a start what does the sticker say on your door for payload?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are happy with how ours tows. As long as you are within your vehicle’s ratings you should be OK. We get about 8.5MPG towing the 226RK, power does not seem to be a problem. The 5th wheel tows much better than a bumper pull trailer, no sway and it follows quite nicely, it is easier to hook and unhook also.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've towed 5th wheels and utility bumper pull trailers for 25 years. 5th's are much easier to connect since you don't need anti-sway bars, load levelers, etc. They tow so smooth too. Huge disadvantage is you lose most of your load storage in the truck bed. Nothing can stick up higher than the bed of your truck, including ice chests, generators, etc. And the truck bed area behind the 5th hitch is best for low items such as firewood, etc.

Your mpg will suffer too, not just because of the extra weight but because of the profile of the taller trailer too. You are basically towing a huge sail behind you. You will also have to be more aware of canopies, trees, and other overhangs, as the 5th will be taller than your pull behind trailer.

Looking at online info, the 5th you are looking at is 5 feet longer and has a larger slide out. A nice slide out makes all the difference in the world for feeling open and not claustrophobic. The taller ceiling inside most 5ths also makes it feel more spacious. Everyone has their own needs and taste, but I really like the floorplan of our 290BH. It has a separate bedroom in the back with a door. I did a few revisions and now have 2 full size (bunk)beds and extra storage space over the factory setup of 1 full bed and 2 small bunk beds. My daugher, husband, & toddler, fit well in there and have their own privacy. With the revision, there is room for the new baby on the way too. The 290BH is in the 1/2 ton class too.

Finally, shop online and buy used if you can, and also in the off season. I bought my 2018 290BH in March 2021 and saved at least 40% over new. That is not a typo, I found a great deal on a well cared for unit during the winter. I drove about 600 miles one way to pick it up. I would never have paid what they want for new trailers. Plus the first owner took care of any warranty issues for me. RVtrader.com is great.

I love pulling a 5th over a tongue pull trailer even with the cargo loss. I happen to have a Reflection150 290BH, which is the "half ton class" too, but I have a Ram 3500 one ton long bed, so I have zero problems or concerns towing. I would have my doubts on using an actual 1/2 ton to pull it up any big grades. I've seen 1/2 ton trucks struggling between Las Vegas and Cedar City, Utah on I-15. Not exactly Donner Summit or Eisenhower Tunnel type grade. The suspension, brake capacity, transmission, etc are all huge factors in if your 1/2 ton is truck enough for what you want to do. My humble advice is to step up to at least a 3/4 ton the next time you buy a truck. I ended up with a 1 ton this time around only because all of the 3/4 tons at the time didn't meet my option list.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our 260RD, I think you'll be fine there. It is so much better than a bumper pull in so many ways. Where I'd have reservations is pulling it with a 1/2 ton. Could you do it, probably? Could you tow it safely with a 1/2 ton? Not so sure. Our 3/4 ton pulls the 260RD effortlessly and I've never felt that I didn't have enough truck. That being said, many do pull the 260RD with a half-ton.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of great advice. Now I have some homework to do so I can figure out if my truck will handle the weight of a fifth wheel trailer.

Thanks everybody.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled our 295RL with our '13 F150 5.5 6.2 ltr SCREW 6spd for 4.5 yrs. Pulled great once leveled with airbags, antisway bar, and some 6r80 cooling upgrades. Infact, love the turning radius of a F150 over our new F250 SB Superduty with 7.3ltr/10 spd. The power between the 2 is very similiar and the F150 got better MPG in tow mode. Would've stayed with a F150 if they still offered either the 6.2 or 7.3 gasser motors.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towed my 260RD locally with a 2012 GMC 5.3 half-ton. I put on Timbrens and load range E tires. It was ok, but certainly all the truck wanted. Won't want to go far! I went to SC this April and towed it behind a 2018 Ram 2500 CTD. What a difference!
    2018 Ram 2500 CTD
    2020 Reflection 260RD

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paul View Post
    Lots of great advice. Now I have some homework to do so I can figure out if my truck will handle the weight of a fifth wheel trailer.

Thanks everybody.
    What does the door sticker say for payload?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast