User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite frankly I feel like GD's marketing of the 150 series as a half-ton tow-able is misleading at best.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_270BN View Post
    Quite frankly I feel like GD's marketing of the 150 series as a half-ton tow-able is misleading at best.
    I put it right up there with R values.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paul View Post
    Greetings,

I've always found the people on the forum to be so helpful. I have another group of questions.

We are considering an upgrade from our Imagine 2500RL to a fifth wheel Reflection 260RD, 1/2 ton towable. We can upgrade without changing my tow vehicle, which is a 2015 Ford F-150 3.5 liter Ecoboost with 4 wheel drive. I have not had any real problems with towing the Imagine even going over the Rocky Mountains, it slowed down going to the crest but still made it over.

The sales rep assures me the Reflection 260RD is truly 1/2 ton towable. The added dry weight is about 1600 pounds with the Reflection 260RD. I'm guessing our contents add another 1000 pounds. The increase would go from about 7000 pounds loaded weight on the Imagine to 8600 pounds loaded weight on the Reflection. Anybody out there with real experience at that transition?

I get an average of 9.5 miles per gallon when towing the Imagine. Could I expect that to be further reduced by the Reflection?

The Imagine is our first camper trailer and we have been really happy with it, although it starts to feel a little cramped after a week or more. Is the Reflection going to be a lot better? It is only about 4 feet longer than the Imagine.

Are there issues or problems with towing and maintaining a fifth wheel that you don't have with a regular trailer?

Are there advantages of towing and maintaining a fifth wheel trailer?

If you have made this kind of upgrade, I would appreciate your perspective.

Thanks

Chris
    Chris, your truck will not be able to tow a 260RD. I had a 2013 F250 diesel with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. With my RV not fully loaded, on the CAT scale, my two truck axles came in at 9980 lbs. My wife was not in the truck. While I could pull the 2020 260RD, I felt it and in an emergency situation, I was not comfortable if the RV or Truck would take control with a truck tire blowout. In addition, I would be over the 10,000 lb limit. I moved to an F350 dually long bed diesel with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs and it resulted in a significant difference. I was legal and I knew the truck would keep control in an emergency. It made all the difference in the world and I have been towing RVs for a good 50 years.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At an RV show in Raleigh, NC a salesman was telling an individual that he could pull a 2023 RD260 with his Dodge 1500 gas short bed truck. I asked the salesman if he know that was correct and what the GVWR was on this individual's truck. He (and I understand that) nor the individual knew their GVWR. I highly recommend he and his wife take a look at the sticker on the door to get the GVWR. The salesman kept saying, it will pull the 260RD. He was a salesman, right.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider this

I have posted about our accident 2.5 weeks ago in our Imagine 2500RL when a semi hit the corner of the trailer and put it on its sideWe we’re unhurt.

Why you ask. The fact that I had Ram 2500 series truck kept the truck for suffering the same on the same fate. It was heavy and not bear its payload capacity. Had we been in a fifth wheel also we’d have been put on our side .

No way you can be traveling on those 80 mph hiway in you 150.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Consider this

I have posted about our accident 2.5 weeks ago in our Imagine 2500RL when a semi hit the corner of the trailer and put it on its sideWe we’re unhurt.

Why you ask. The fact that I had Ram 2500 series truck kept the truck for suffering the same on the same fate. It was heavy and not bear its payload capacity. Had we been in a fifth wheel also we’d have been put on our side .

No way you can be traveling on those 80 mph hiway in you 150.
    That is another reason I decided to go with the Anderson hitch vs the saddle hitches I have used in the past. I have no doubt that the Anderson hitch would not take my F350 on its side in an accident like yours. Sorry that happend to you and your wife!
    Terry and Elizabeth

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have towed 5ers and tt's. If equipped with a good wd hitch tt's tow just as smooth and no sway as 5ers. I belive my tt follows better and backs up better than my 5er did. Yes I do miss the storage of a 5er, but that was about it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been pulling a 230RL all over the country, around 40k with a 2018 F150KR…..I would have chosen the 270BN if it had been around….it has the lower of the pin weight!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2355.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	636.3 KB 
ID:	46850

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate everybody that responded and provided me with knowledge and their experience concerning my questions.

I had put this question aside for a few months as we prepared for a trip out west to Glacier NP and other destinations. 4000 miles and 17 days later we are back. My F-150 truck and Imagine 2500RL did just fine! We didn't even feel claustrophobic after 17 days this time.

The facts that safety of travel and the wear on the truck have made our decision to just stick with our travel trailer for now. If in the future we purchase a new truck I'll upgrade at least to a 3/4 ton and be ready for fifth wheel trailer when the time comes.

Thanks again and safe travels to everyone.

Chris and Deb Ayres

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123