User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How "clean" does the dicor have to be when resealing ? and other questions ...

Attempting some roofing maintenance. I was told that I must clean the existing dicor before applying new. I found that since the dicor is still soft, that cleaning it is almost impossible. I was told to use Pyroil (non-chlorinated) brake parts cleaner or acetone (water soaked rag) but the results were about the same. It looks like I am just moving the grime around. The "cleaned" spots is more from me removing the top layer than actually cleaning the surface.

As you can see in the bottom pic, there is a little "hole" in the dicor. I was able to smush the existing dicor to cover it.

Question #1 : How "Clean" must the exiting dicor have to be ? Must it look like "new"? How dirty is acceptable ?
    Question #2 : What am I doing wrong, as I have seen on youtube how people are just wiping clean the dirt off their existing dicor ?
    Question #3 : Should I remove all or most of the old, and just re-apply new?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	46653
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	46654
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acrysol works really good for cleaning the areas that need resealed. If the sealant still has a strong bond, you can touch up by adding another layer of sealant. Dustin @ California RV Specialsts has some pretty good YouTube videos on how to evaluate, clean, & reseal the exterior of RV's.
    2022 Momentum 351M
    2022 F450

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are careful you can skim the top most part of the existing sealant with a multitool. You have to be careful not to tear the roof membrane. Someone else mentioned an aerosol spray. It's expensive and you use a lot tho to avoid what you said about just moving around the crud but it gets things clean; use lots of paper rags/towels.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clean the Dicor using Dawn dish soap and water. If the Dicor is still strongly adhered to the roof and fixture and only in need of a touch up or bubble repair I will final clean the Dicor area with a little mineral spirits on a rag and give it time to dry. I then put the new Dicor on top of the existing sealant.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2023 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised how my heat gun softened the caulk up and I could finally get a plastic paint scraper underneath !

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    If you are careful you can skim the top most part of the existing sealant with a multitool. You have to be careful not to tear the roof membrane. Someone else mentioned an aerosol spray. It's expensive and you use a lot tho to avoid what you said about just moving around the crud but it gets things clean; use lots of paper rags/towels.
    2022 GD 2970RL (soon to be "released")
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that Mineral spirits is not good for EPDM.
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    I was thinking I read the same thing.
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-250 Power Stroke

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wudwork View Post
    I was surprised how my heat gun softened the caulk up and I could finally get a plastic paint scraper underneath !
    If the caulk was hard enough, then cleaning would be easier. But that gets back to my other question, that is if it is that soft, would just removing be better all, then re-caulking anew?
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For cleaning I would start with just warm soapy water, then follow up with isopropyl alcohol. I would be ok adding a second layer. After that I would strip and recall. Too much build up could be deceiving in thinking there are no leaks.

My 2 cents.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    I don't use it on the roofing material. I only use it to clean up the Dicor surface before touching up the area with new Dicor. Most often the touch up is to fix a bubble caused by a screw. I remove the bubbled Dicor, clean up the Dicor around it and reseal. I've never had a problem or failure of the repair doing this.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2023 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast