User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Routing solar wires

I just installed three 200-watt solar panels on my RV roof. The TT came with a Furion single 165-watt panel. Due to the difference in wattage, I added a second solar controller to separate the three 200-watt panels from the 165-watt panel. Although the installation of the panels went smoothly I have yet to drill a hole in the roof to run the wires to the solar controller I located in the pass-through storage area at the front of the 2022 297 RSTS. I have not been able to figure out how to run the wires down through the roof without ending up in the bedroom or risking damage to the front cap. Has anyone found an easy/safe way to do this? I called Grand Design to ask whether they established a channel for wiring the Furion panel but they said no, and advised that I would not be able to route it through the factory-cut hole in the roof.

Since there is a space between the inside ceiling and the top of the roof I had hoped to snake the wires through the wood trusses and down the inside of the front cap, but I have not found a gap in the roof truss to pass the wires through I removed an LED light fixture in the bedroom ceiling and tried an electrical snake and a stiffer fiberglass rod to probe for space between the trusses. I can get by one truss but then hit a solid obstruction at a point where the front cap is attached. Also, it appears that if I try to drill a hole upward from the over-bed cabinets I may risk cutting into the fiberglass cap.

I would appreciate any guidance on how/where to run the wiring.
    Bill Yates

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did this on my rig.
    1. I removed the existing Furrion gland (yes the one with all the caulk).
    2. I cut off both Furrion proprietary solar connectors, from panel and gland.
    3. I attached 10awg wire to the end of solar wire comming out of roof.
    4. I removed the basement paneling facing front of trailer.
    5. Reaching around in there (under cap) we found the wire comming from roof.
    6. Oops, we could not pull it down. It allowed about a foot before jamming.
    7. Back on roof, I looked into hole and saw direction wire was going; it was lateral towards passenger side.
    8. I drilled a hole in roof, I think 3/4", I best believed was inline with wire. Looked in hole and saw the wire was jamed at a 90deg turn where it went down inside cover. It took a bit to work in that hole but I was able to get the jam cleared and it was easy to finish getting wire pulled down.
    9. I then ran another wire down that same path so I have (2) going to roof.
    10. I then put new connectors (standard) on the Furrion setup.
    11. I then put new gland over new hole and caulked everything.
    12. End result, 2 glands on the roof, 1 for Furrion and other for my new panels.

HTH.
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. I was hoping to leave the existing Furrion gateway undisturbed, but only because the factory advised that their wiring route would not allow me to snake another wire along the same path. As I mentioned I did purchase a second solar controller capable of handling the 3 x 200-watt panels.
    Bill Yates

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyman View Post
    Thanks for the information. I was hoping to leave the existing Furrion gateway undisturbed, but only because the factory advised that their wiring route would not allow me to snake another wire along the same path. As I mentioned I did purchase a second solar controller capable of handling the 3 x 200-watt panels.
    Could you please keep us updated on your progress? Pictures would be great. I too would like to keep the present setup undisturbed and add a whole new setup for additional panels. The big stumbling block is getting the wires from the roof. I'm sure there are many more in the same boat.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S