User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Momentum 395MS

Hello, new to the forum and new to the Grand Design itself. I知 seriously considering buying a 395MS, and would like to know what you all think about tow vehicles.
    I壇 really like to avoid having to get a dually tow vehicle. I知 curious if there are and F350 or GMC/Chevy 3500 drivers out there who feel comfortable towing this rig.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, that trailer is solidly in 1-ton dually territory. With a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. and a starting weight of over 15,000 lbs., you probably need to either reconsider the SRW truck, or go with a smaller trailer. I tow a 17,000 lb. fifth wheel, and I bought a dually for that reason. Of course this is all JMO.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWexplorer View Post
    Hello, new to the forum and new to the Grand Design itself. I知 seriously considering buying a 395MS, and would like to know what you all think about tow vehicles.
    I壇 really like to avoid having to get a dually tow vehicle. I知 curious if there are and F350 or GMC/Chevy 3500 drivers out there who feel comfortable towing this rig.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    IMO, that trailer is solidly in 1-ton dually territory. With a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. and a starting weight of over 15,000 lbs., you probably need to either reconsider the SRW truck, or go with a smaller trailer. I tow a 17,000 lb. fifth wheel, and I bought a dually for that reason. Of course this is all JMO.
    Agreed 100%. While a lesser-equiped 1-ton SRW may show to have the payload and tow ratings, the weight and length of the 395 is certainly a DRW territory type rig. I put nearly 15k miles on my 395MS-R and NOT once did I ever regret having a dually. There were dozens of times that I am confident a SRW would have been a dangerous situation and a handful of times that even put the F450 to the limits.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWexplorer View Post
    Hello, new to the forum and new to the Grand Design itself. I’m seriously considering buying a 395MS, and would like to know what you all think about tow vehicles.
    I’d really like to avoid having to get a dually tow vehicle. I’m curious if there are and F350 or GMC/Chevy 3500 drivers out there who feel comfortable towing this rig.

Cheers.
    I have 30,000 miles towing with a similar size rig and an F-350 SRW truck. My 381M has an empty pin weight just 50 pounds less than the current 395MS and the length of the 381M is just 11" shorter. The newer F-350s have a higher payload than my truck, so I would feel comfortable towing the 395MS.

However, whether this would work for you would depend greatly on how you plan to use the truck and RV:
    1) I almost always have toys in my garage. This helps keep the pin weight down.
    2) I tow with just me and my wife in the truck. If you plan to tow with passengers it will eat into the SRW payload.
    3) I use an Andersen aluminum hitch and don't load my truck with tools and other items. That all goes in the RV.
    4) I have a Loadlifter 5000 suspension kit to improve the towing performance at higher payloads.
    I have weighed my truck and RV multiple times to verify I am within all of my towing limits.

I am very happy with this configuration and have had no issues with towing, winds, or stability. So it is possible to use a SRW truck for an RV this size, as long as you are willing to watch the payload. If you want more payload or plan to use the truck and/or RV differently, then you can use a dually and accept their other shortcomings.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious what those weights are.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Just curious what those weights are.
    I am guessing the question is what were the results of my CAT scale weights. Over the last three years I have weighed my rig 13 times in different configurations. Here is a typical result for my configuration with an ATV and motorcycle in the back. All the weights below are in pounds.

Steer Axle 4,700
    Drive Axle 6,300
    Trailer Axle 15,920
    Gross Weight (GCW) 26,920
    Truck Weight (GVW) 11,000
    Pin Weight 2,880
    Percent Pin Weight 15.3%
    Trailer Weight 18,800
    Front Axle Margin 900
    Rear Axle Margin 930
    GCW Margin 1,780
    GVW Margin 500
    Trailer Margin 1,200

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an owner of a 395 MS-R, I tow with F450 DRW. As a full timer I enjoy the security of the larger DRW truck to safely get down the road. You could tow it with a SRW truck if you are just going on short trips and not over loading the trailer. You will have to consider how much fuel, water and supplies you are starting out with before leaving.

If you want to go on long trips, travel to see exciting places, camp on top of a mountain or get away from it all deep in a forest, go for the bigger truck and upgrade to the Morryde Independent Suspension.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktnissen View Post
    As an owner of a 395 MS-R, I tow with F450 DRW. As a full timer I enjoy the security of the larger DRW truck to safely get down the road. You could tow it with a SRW truck if you are just going on short trips and not over loading the trailer. You will have to consider how much fuel, water and supplies you are starting out with before leaving.

If you want to go on long trips, travel to see exciting places, camp on top of a mountain or get away from it all deep in a forest, go for the bigger truck and upgrade to the Morryde Independent Suspension.
    I drove 7,000 miles cross country last year with my SRW truck. At the end of my current 8,500 mile cross country trip I will have 40,000 miles covering all 48 lower states in the last three years. I am glad you like your DRW truck, but trip length really isn't a factor.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the dual rear wheel camp for that trailer. Better stability and a safety margin in case of tire troubles, etc.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast