User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Level-Up 2.0 repair - Lippert Manufacturing Quality Control Issues

I had a leaking front hydraulic jack that GD and Lippert said needed to be replaced - total replacement cost (jack only) about $800. And who knows how long I would have been without my rig had I taken it to the local dealer.

Thus, bolstered by commenters on this forum on other posts about rebuilding jacks themselves or taking them to local hydraulic shops, I figured it was worth going down that road first to see if it could be repaired. One poster (who apparently lives in my neighborhood somewhere - I wish I had remembered the name) had the same issue and took his leaking jack to Rocklin Hydraulics north of Sacramento, CA. So I did too.

Dropped the jack of this past Monday. They had it fixed yesterday - Wednesday. Cost me a whopping $86 plus whatever ATF I lost when taking off the jack. According to Rocklin Hydraulics, the issue was caused by the O-ring on the hydraulic fitting of the retrieve hydraulic line not being able to properly seat in what should have been a chamfered groove at the top of the thread for the fitting in which the O-ring should seat. You see, the existing groove was barely there - not even 1/4 as deep as it should have been. So the O-ring had no way of being fully captured in the groove, thus being squeezed into a disfigured shape between the hydraulic fitting and the top of the jack. Shame on Lippert!! According to my hydraulics guy, it's a wonder that the O-ring held for 4 years.

Anyway, the solution was for the shop to cut a new O-ring groove appropriately sized to the replacement O-ring at the top of the thread for the hydraulic fitting. Problem solved... and a ton of money saved. Kudos to Rocklin Hydraulics!!
    Holger & Corinne
    Granite Bay, CA

2019 Solitude 310gk w/goosebox conversion
    towed by 2012 Ford F450 Lariat crew cab 4x4
    Bilstein shocks, Air-ride air bags
    2 independent on-board Viair compressors w/2.5 gal. air tank
    Boston Whaler 21' Outrage when not towing 5'er

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Great solution for a very reasonable price. Are you thinking of having the others inspected/repaired as well?
    Inquiring minds you know.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    ... Are you thinking of having the others inspected/repaired as well?
    Inquiring minds you know.

You sound like my wife!! IMO, "ignorance is bliss". 5 of the 6 jacks have had no issues for 4 years (since new). So why "fix" something that isn't broken, especially when I know that they can be re-built/fixed by any reputable hydraulic shop anywhere. The primary lessons for me are a) understanding the value of this forum and the experience of others and b)
    to check all of my hydraulic jacks and accessible fittings regularly, but certainly before each trip.
    Holger & Corinne
    Granite Bay, CA

2019 Solitude 310gk w/goosebox conversion
    towed by 2012 Ford F450 Lariat crew cab 4x4
    Bilstein shocks, Air-ride air bags
    2 independent on-board Viair compressors w/2.5 gal. air tank
    Boston Whaler 21' Outrage when not towing 5'er