User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Brake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exhaust Brake

Towing newb here! We are taking our Reflection 303RLS up north tomorrow morning for a long weekend. It'll be the first time I've towed our new 5th wheel through mountains. I'm not sure what the downhill grade is but I'll be using my diesel exhaust brake for the first time. The truck manual says the exhaust brake has two settings. One of them is a smart mode.

In order to ease my anxiety, I'd appreciate any information or tips on using an exhaust brake. I'm still trying to figure out the correct setting for the electric brakes.

Thanks everyone!
    Smitty and Diana
    2016 Reflection 303RLS #4486
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
    2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/Cummins 6.7

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not familiar with the 2 types. Might help others if you post truck year and model. That said, love my exhaust brake on my Ford f350. When in tow haul mode just tap on brakes and the engine holds back in many cases not even needing additional braking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

White Beard
    High Smitty,

I have a 2014 3500 ram. pulling a 2014 solitude 320x. Exhaust brake is the best thing since sliced bread. I set mine on the first setting. Use the tow setting and shift gears(auto trans) up and down when entering and leaving highway. New brakes on 5vr. Set at 4.5 Usually don't have to step on brake peddle until around 45 to 35 mph. It's great!! experiment you'll find what you like. good luck.

t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    Not familiar with the 2 types. Might help others if you post truck year and model. That said, love my exhaust brake on my Ford f350. When in tow haul mode just tap on brakes and the engine holds back in many cases not even needing additional braking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    My truck is a 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 w/6.7 Cummins
    Smitty and Diana
    2016 Reflection 303RLS #4486
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
    2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/Cummins 6.7

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2015 Ram has two setting for EB (exhaust brake), Auto, and when you let off on gas it comes on basically. One thing to remember, when EB is activated, the trailer electric brakes is not activated, the trailer brake is activated by using the actual truck brakes when hitting the brake pedal or using the trailer brake controller manually. So actually setting your trailers brake controller setting in regards to trailer brakes needs to be set without regard to theEB. EB is just extra braking, also remember using just EB and no actual brake pedal your brake lights will not come on.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello White Beard!
    Wondering what was the resolution of your fifth wheel brake issues back in April? I believe they were basically destroyed after 8000 total miles including delivery. I hope it was satisfactory in your mind. Please let us know!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The second setting of the exhaust brake ultimately has the same braking capability. However, braking is phased in and not applied all at once. It is good for hauling horses in a trailer and hopefully not causing the horses to stumble. I use the first setting when pulling my fifth wheel.

The exhaust brake is awesome. You definately should use it while towing.
    Lyle & Cathy plus Boomer (English Lab)

2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2016 RAM 3500 DRW Laramie Limited 4X4
    6.7 Cummins with Aisin Transmission

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEVER use your exhaust brake on a slippery surface (ie. snow, ice, oily wet roads)!
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if I would say "never" use the EB on a slick road as often it is all you need to bleed off a bit of speed.

Just make damn sure you don't use the EB and manual brakes at the same time or your rear end may lock up. Not too much fun steering that one.

The EB in pickups is tied in with the traction system and will cut out if the rear end loses traction but by then you may have a wee crisis on yer hands.

As for mountain driving - drop a gear and just use the EB to hold you back on a downhill run. Apply brakes only when needed to keep you at your target speed. The EB system works best at moderate to high RPM's so run it around 1800-2000 (or slightly higher) for max braking. On most hills the EB is all that is needed.
    Last edited by C&H Conner; 08-21-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2010 Ram 3500 (less than 10,000 miles) and have pulled an 8,000 lb. TT from Phoenix to Flagstaff and up on the rim east of Payson and back many times. I run with the exhaust brake on all of the time. Usually shifting down to 4th at the top of the hills will maintain a safe speed with very few brake taps. I found that the tow-haul mode is too aggressive and slows down too much. I have been told (but never tried) that by using the cruise control with tow-haul and the brake together will cause the truck to do whatever is necessary to maintain the set speed.

I think those hills are 6 %. The Mountain Directory West will give you details of the majority of the hills.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast