User Tag List

harlyrdr11

Fifth Wheel Hitch

I am looking to buy a hitch to pull our Momentum. I have narrowed it down to a Curt or B&W. When I look at their adjustment the Curt is 13-17 inches and the B&W is 17-19 inches. My vehicle is a 2015 RAM 3500 SRW Diesel. I would like to purchase and install the hitch before I purchase the Momentum but am not sure which of the two hitches would work best. Thoughts?

C130TN
    Quote Originally Posted by harlyrdr11 View Post
    I am looking to buy a hitch to pull our Momentum. I have narrowed it down to a Curt or B&W. When I look at their adjustment the Curt is 13-17 inches and the B&W is 17-19 inches. My vehicle is a 2015 RAM 3500 SRW Diesel. I would like to purchase and install the hitch before I purchase the Momentum but am not sure which of the two hitches would work best. Thoughts?
    I've towed with a Pullrite and a new Curt. I really liked the Curt but I haven't used a B&W. The B&W's have excellent reviews and people swear by them. I liked the fact the Curt could easily be adjust up and down and how easy it was to hitch and unhitch. I think either would be fine and both are excellent hitches. I got a great deal on an almost new Hensley TS3 and it's by far the best hitch I've used. It's heavy and expensive but really makes a difference towing. It can be adjust vertically also but again it's not cheap to do that either, they think a lot of all of their products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C130TN View Post
    I've towed with a Pullrite and a new Curt. I really liked the Curt but I haven't used a B&W. The B&W's have excellent reviews and people swear by them. I liked the fact the Curt could easily be adjust up and down and how easy it was to hitch and unhitch. I think either would be fine and both are excellent hitches. I got a great deal on an almost new Hensley TS3 and it's by far the best hitch I've used. It's heavy and expensive but really makes a difference towing. It can be adjust vertically also but again it's not cheap to do that either, they think a lot of all of their products.
    How much does your Hensley weigh? We're using a B&W companion hitch. I love having both the gooseneck ball and the 5th wheel hitch. Our 350M barely clears the bed rails of our Ram 2500 with our B&W. About 6 in clearance with hitch at highest adjustment.

C130TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra&Ta350 View Post
    How much does your Hensley weigh? We're using a B&W companion hitch. I love having both the gooseneck ball and the 5th wheel hitch. Our 350M barely clears the bed rails of our Ram 2500 with our B&W. About 6 in clearance with hitch at highest adjustment.
    It's about 300 pounds and I had to add the Ford adapter plate which is another 75-100 pounds I believe. If you have standard rails then you wouldn't need the adapter plate. I used a hoist to lift it so it's not a big deal but otherwise it's not one you can easily take out for sure. They do make a goose ball head to swap out but I don't know much about it.

The hitch does really smooth out the ride. I have video of our recent trip and it's pretty cool watching all the movement and not feel a thing in the truck. It's took me a few times to figure out the best way to hitch up and unhitch as it's different than a standard hitch head which doesn't move up and down. Once I figured out what works best for me it's pretty easy. My TS3 has the Blue Ox bed saver which is nice but I have to raise the pin over the bed saver then lower its slightly to hitch. I could easily take it off but like the extra safety.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measure from ground to top of bed rails at center on rear wheels, go by dealers and they should let you measure the distance from pin to bottom of of structure, then you should be able to figure out which would work best in regards to adj height . Also if they can level one for you, you could get the distance from pin to ground if on level ground, for level ride, but remembering bed rail clearance. Both good starting points, till you get it hooked up and do final adjustments, remember the truck will squat some when hooked up,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run my 388m on a B&W in the factory pucks on the middle setting and when all is said and done, the truck squats and trailer sits level and the truck still has a nice level ride height too...
    Steve & Diane -
    Home is where we park it now.
    Furry Kid; Springer Spaniel
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2015 Ram 3500/DRW/4x4/6.7TD/AISN/4.10/4 Door-Long Bed
    B&W Companion in Factory Pucks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Curt Q20 that I pull our 380TH with on our long bed F350 DRW. Easy to hook up and a positive locking system. I have mine set at the highest setting which gives 7" of clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you already have a B&W ball hitch in your bed, the B&W 3500 companion is the only way to go in my opinion. Never needed the goose neck, but nice to know I have it if needed. I really like being able to easily remove the 5th wheel hitch and have access to my whole truck bed.
    https://sites.google.com/site/jpelin...attredirects=0
    Joe Entrekin
    2016 Momentum 380TH
    2009 Silverado 3500HD Dully

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm brand new here, just visited the introduction thread ha ha! However, I may still be able to advise on my recent experience. I too just installed my 5th wheel hitch preparing to pick up my 350M this weekend end, and I went with the B & W Companion. If you're Ram is equipped with the factory prep tow package (pucks), I believe B&W makes a hitch to plug right into your pucks. My F350 has the factory prep tow and the Companion married up nicely in the pucks, nice firm fit without any slop. Just my 2 cents!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a complete list of everything that's made to work with the Ram 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit...

http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel.htm

The B&W RVK3600 is the model that drop right in.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)