User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    TWEMEL

Columbia River Gorge - Good Campground Feedback Wanted!

We plan to visit the Columbia River Gorge areas in October. Does anyone have suggestions/feedback/recommendations for RV parks on the Oregon and Washington sides? Is I-84 a better way to go with our 337 Reflection? Thanks!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well, we spent 5 days at the KOA in Cascade Locks over the 4th of July. We love the area for things to do, lot's of hiking, a fabulous bike ride along the historic highway, tour of the Bonneville Dam was awesome, etc. The campground is okay, not the nicest but serves the purpose as a base camp. We drove east on the Oregon side from Portland and we returned west on the Washington side and we did see some neat looking campgrounds on that stretch that we may try next time.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highway 14 on the Washington is a slower, more scenic route. They are pretty much finished with the roadwork project that has been slowing things down all summer and should be completely finished by October. There are 5 tunnels west of White Salmon, WA that are a bit skinny and freak some folks out. They are height signed from 12'6" to 13'6" but you can make it thru just fine. Just be cautious when going going thru them and pray you don't meet a semi halfway thru.

I-84 is a great road with no worries.

WA side-
    On the Washington side (Hwy 14) there is TimberLake RV campground in Home Valley, WA. Not a bad spot to camp for a few days. Decent spots and a bit off the beaten path.

Also, (Hwy 14) a couple miles east of Stevenson, WA. is Skamania Coves. Small park and with 17 spots and they are nice level spots. Nice river view and access but sits a bit close to the railroad tracks if you're a light sleeper. This is the spot we have friends and family stay when they bring RVs. The 7 spots closer to the river are great sites with great views.

Bridge Rv in White Salmon isn't bad but not my favorite as it right on a busy intersection.

I would avoid the rv park in North Bonneville, Wa as it is a bit dumpy with lots of locals living there.

On the Oregon side -

As mentioned above the Cascade Locks KOA isn't bad and in a cool little town.

Memaloose State Park is a decent state campground to stay in about 10 miles west of The Dalles, OR.

If you need more info PM. If you're a craft beer lover give me a shout and I can give you the scoop on the local breweries as there are some great ones in the gorge.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what may be open or where you are going but Maryhill State Park on the Washington side by Biggs (never stayed there) or Deshutes State Park on the Oregon side, not too bad. If you going as far as Boardman, there is a nice park there, again never stayed there.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate