User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen slide tips out at the top with a right turn.

Title just about says it all. Very surprised to see in my mirror the top of the slide tip out about 3" and then seat itself as I straightened out. We were still on the entrance ramp to the expressway and there was plenty of shoulder to park on. Ran the slides out and back in, could not see any problems with it closing. Instead of taking it to storage yard I went to dealership instead. I explained the situation and was told there is nothing securing the slides at the top. I mentioned we had just come home from the GD rally and in sessions with Lippert discussing the slides mechanisms, support, lube, etc the top movement was never brought up. He explained a brace can be added to the top, my expense, to keep it from tipping out during travel. I mentioned that's one way to solve the issue, but it doesn't really fix the problem. Why did this happen now, its been fine for 2 1/2 years? Just happens with age & travel? Have I just missed this and its been happening when I haven't been looking in the mirror? Comments and your experiences please.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure doesn't sound right to me! I can't imagine GD going along with the dealer response. I would contact GD and good luck! Keep us posted; I will be spending even more time in the mirrors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom & Nancy:

No way that situation is right . . . or the dealer's response is correct.

The slide box is bolted to the slide tray from underneath along the outer edge (Reflection situation . . . I assume Solitude is the same).
    The top of the slide should touch the wall first and then the bottom is drawn in, holding everything tight to the outside of the wall.
    There is no way that slide box should move more than just a slight amount as you travel down the road.

The above comes directly from JD Adams who showed me this while he adjusted the fit of one of our slides, at the Rally.
    There is no way my slides move anything like you describe while underway !

My "guess" is that the bolts securing the slide box to the frame that moves it, have come loose . . . but that's just a guess.
    I would suggest that you call JD (Grand Design Regional Service Manager) at 574-825-8000, before you let your dealer do anything.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to JD, pretty much what Rob says. He won't go so far as to say the bolts have loosened. Still haven't heard back from General RV yet. I did research slide brackets just to know about them.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General RV says they found a bent arm under the slide. He took pictures, wrote up and forwarded to GD. Waiting to hear back, hopefully soon. We're scheduled to go out next Thurs for a week, involves two stops.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks to GD and General RV, Brownstown for taking care of the repairs. General found the brackets that the slideout arm attaches to were faulty. One bracket was broken, the other was bent. The broken one was welded and the bent one was replaced. Cost to us? $0.00. They also found that the plastic shroud that protects the wiring harness under there was cracked, that was also replaced. Cost to us you may wonder? $0.00. We did have to cancel our post Labor Day vacation due to the nature of the repair, that couldn't be helped. Again, GD really stepped up to cover the parts & labor on this. General RV got it into the garage when the parts arrived. And as Willie Nelson once sang, "on the road again."
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's terrific news! Thanks for the update.

Jim