Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little nervous about hauling the monster

Guys, We are trading our 23 ft trailer in and getting into the pool with you guys and buying a 375RE. Starting to get a little eeeby jeeby about hauling all that fibreglass and metal behind me. I KNOW IT IS TOO LATE NOW :>) Any advise for a first timer hauling a 5th wheel.
    2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab Laramie Diesel
    2016 375RE
    Pullrite 2900 Superglide hitch
    Wife and program director, Nancy
    2 Labradors, Abby and Willow

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take your time and watch for the trailer cutting the corners more than you are used to, you will get the feel pretty quickly.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, is easier said than done, is relax. If you don't, you don't enjoy the trip. Next, use your mirrors, a 5th wheel turns differently than a bumper pull, so use the spot mirrors going around corners. Find some empty parking lot somewhere (it will have lines painted for you already) and practice, practice, practice. Practice pulling straight, backing straight, jack knife (parallel) parking, all that stuff you did in driver's ed, but with a trailer.

And from what I've recently learned towing with a family (this also applies to the relaxing part), NEVER expect to leave on time, EVER! If you want to be on the road with everyone AIS, tell them you want to leave 2 hours before your actual departure time.

Lastly, HAVE FUN! That's why you bought it right? Take it low and slow until you are comfortable and your confidence is built. You WILL get to a point when pulling the best is second nature. Until then, take it easy. Arriving late is better than not arriving at all!
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

mandolin57
    Teamam, we went from a 27ft TT last fall to the Solitude 305. Hubby was nervous like you but does fine with it. He says it's actually much easier to maneuver than the TT was. You'll be fine, and remember....there is a ton of people to help you out. When we get stuck with something, I'm not above asking for someone to give us a hand. Relax and have fun!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much all of you, feels better knowing that I have a group that is out there if I need them. THANKS SO MUCH
    2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab Laramie Diesel
    2016 375RE
    Pullrite 2900 Superglide hitch
    Wife and program director, Nancy
    2 Labradors, Abby and Willow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, be happy. Take your time, find an empty parking lot if you can and practice
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right there with you as I jumped all the way in with our 38' 350M as our very first RV. Yes it was (and still is somewhat) scary as hell trying to maneuver that beast, but I love a challenge. Best thing I have found out is keep your cool as things go even worse when my blood pressure and temper start flaring up.
    George & Candi
    2016 GD 376TH
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD Dually
    2016 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will do fine. You will need to eyeball your fuel stops a bit more closely. The deisel pumps at some convienience stores and gas stops can be pretty tight when the stores are busy. Getting the "beast" in and out can get close at times so I look for stops with plenty of room to manuver the beast. Relax and have fun!
    Steve and Bonnie
    Appomattox, VA
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    VIN: 573FR3624E3300391
    2013 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice would be to plan out all of your turns. If you have a double turn lane always use outside lane. When neccessary, use more of the adjoining lane when having to make a tight turn. When parking temporarily, plan your exit before you park. Last, enjoy the ride, these rigs pull great, watch your stopping distance, use a tpms system for you tires. Relax...your on vacation.
    Scott & Carol Albuquerque, New Mexico
    2012 Ram 2500 Bagged, Tweaked Hard
    2015 Solitude 379FL
    Onan RV 5500 LP
    50 amp direct wired surge guard
    Go Power 3000 watt Inverter
    F1103110

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everybody has said practice practice and practice, get use to where things are in your mirrors in relation to the beast, tree limbs will come out of no where as an example, and then your beating your self up while you clean the marks off the side of the beast, I learned from experience on that one, on my first 5er, and more, take your time, think a head of your next move, do not wait till you get there and say, I should of put myself in a wider postion for turn, do not let drivers get you upset, might be they are clueless of what it takes to pull one of these, ( Iwas polite with that statement) happing camping,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast