User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staying hitched for a single night?

I was perusing the forums looking for advice on staying hitched when doing a single overnight stay, and came upon this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Not-Unhitching. They mention leaving it hitched but also mention leveling it...

How do you "level" the RV when hitched? Our 351MS loves to dip her nose down really far when autoleveling and I feel like it would mess up the truck (maybe I'm crazy). Do you just manually level a little bit using the control panel inside? Do I just put the front jacks down for a little stability and leave it there?
    2023 Momentum 351MS
    2023 F450 HO 6.7

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use auto level. Hopefully you are towing fairly level so just use manual to stabilize.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laurap View Post
    I was perusing the forums looking for advice on staying hitched when doing a single overnight stay, and came upon this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Not-Unhitching. They mention leaving it hitched but also mention leveling it...

How do you "level" the RV when hitched? Our 351MS loves to dip her nose down really far when autoleveling and I feel like it would mess up the truck (maybe I'm crazy). Do you just manually level a little bit using the control panel inside? Do I just put the front jacks down for a little stability and leave it there?
    Good Morning - When we stay hitched for a night on a mostly level site, we level side to side using lego stackable blocks under the tires if necessary, then deploy the front leveling jacks manually to take some of the load off the truck. We use our Ground Control 3.0 Leveling system monitor to check how level we are before deploying our slides. We try to get it as level as we can, hitched. If your rig is level front to rear when hitched it should be pretty level parked on a good somewhat level site.

Slides do not like to be deployed when the rig is extremely unlevel, fridge doesn't work very well either. We may or may not manually deploy our rear leveling jacks. Just depends on the site we are in overnight.

When staying hitched we never use auto level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5333.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 09-09-2023 at 07:51 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It won't mess up the truck unless it would lift too high.

You are essentially doing the same exact thing when you retract the front landing gear to tow.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have a fifth wheel level master on the front box so i can see it from the cab. I drive and get r pretty close to level side to side, if a slope, i just keep the front end on the low side and if needed, just disconnect and raise up the front. get it pretty close and call it good.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's not totally "level", but we lower the jacks (manually) to support the rig in position.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we just park at a truck stop, rest stop or other parking lot like Cabella's or Walmart for a night to sleep we will stay buttoned up and on-hitch. We have slides on both sides and a center island, so we can't access anything except the bedroom and bathroom. We'll just get some fast food, walk the dog and then get some rest before heading out in the morning. We don't even put the jacks down.
    2023 Reflection 150, Model 280RS
    Tow Vehicle - 2022 Ram 2500

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one of the reasons we installed "Snap Pads" on all of our stabilizers and landing gear (we don't want to inadvertently damage somebody's parking lot surface). We want to be able to stabilize whenever we are stopped overnight and open one or both slides (we don't have to open the bedroom and kitchen slides [Driver side], but opening the dining room slide [Passenger side] makes the coach much more comfortable).

When stopping overnight, I simply drop the landing gear and take a little bit of weight off of the truck, I then (manually) lower the rear stabilizers and watch the level from front to back, I then level side to side. It doesn't have to be perfectly level, but I can usually get it pretty close.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took our new 226RK to a local campground for our inaugural stay. We got lucky....... the campsite was leveled just so that the camper was dead on level without getting unhitched. I simply put the Lippert system on manual and lowered the jacks just enough to stabilize the camper and take a little weight off the truck. No issues at all, and we were only there a few days, so it took the stress out of the morning pack up routine when we left. Hope this helps.
    David and Vicki and 21 month old Springer Spaniel Sadie
    2019 Silverado LTZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison stock
    2023 Reflection 150 series 226RK
    B&W Companion 16K on rails EezTire TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Good Morning - When we stay hitched for a night on a mostly level site, we level side to side using lego stackable blocks under the tires if necessary, then deploy the front leveling jacks manually to take some of the load off the truck. We use our Ground Control 3.0 Leveling system monitor to check how level we are before deploying our slides. We try to get it as level as we can, hitched. If your rig is level front to rear when hitched it should be pretty level parked on a good somewhat level site.
    How do you get to the tilt and angle screen on the Level-up control pad? I was not able to find anything in the manual.

Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5333.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	48066
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast