Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are we doing differently?

Gina and I have been on a fantastic Voyage that started 18 August in Little Rock area. We are now in the Badlands heading west to the coast. So, I knew the CGs would be less full during week due to school starting and that's a good thing for us. Our typical routine is 2-2-2--we try to leave by 2, not travel over 200 miles, and stay at each place a minimum of 2 days. We find it easier and less stressful. Honestly, rushing sucks. Most CG check-outs seem to be 11 or 12. That's ok, but not ideal. We sleep in some, get up and have coffee and relax for a bit reading the new, emails, and more. Here is what I'm noticing during non-weekend travel. We check in by 4 to 6 pm and set up. CGs are mostly empty. As they day goes on, we often head out for a drive and dinner. No sight-seeing, just out and about a little. After we get back at dark or near dark, the CGs are often up to half full. When we get up the next day, most are gone! The CG is empty again.

I understand that many/most CGs are overnighters pushing to get miles in, but our stops are what we'd call sight-seeing stops. There are things to see and do. The majority of folks are older so I assume most are retired which is why they're RVing anyway. So, why aren't folks like us? What's the rush? Each to their own absolutely. Not being critical, but just from our perspective, it seems much of RV travel for many is beating the highway and/or rushing like we did when we worked. No judgement guys; just curious. This isn't sometimes. It's almost every time. What's the deal?

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As for the sleeping in and 2pm start. I couldn't fathom doing that. After getting up at 5am for over 40 years of employment, I can't usually every sleep past 6am. When I get up, the dog gets up. When the dog gets up, she won't let the Mrs. sleep in, so by 6:30 we're up and at 'em. We're usually on the road by 9am on travel days, and in our new campground by 2-3 pm.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you might be seeing are folks doing what we normally do. For example if we have two plus weeks to make it to AZ, where we spend the winter, we may want to spend half of the time at Arches NP and half at Zion NP. So even though there are many things to see between WI and UT we hustle across the country so we can maximize our time at our favorite destinations. Then instead of 2 days at a location and just seeing the highlights, we spend a full week at each place and really get to hike and bike and see the sights in more depth.

Everyone does the RV lifestyle their own way but I have a hunch you are seeing people heading to destinations where they will maximize their recreation time instead of taking weeks to get somewhere.

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gary & Marcy
    2015 Solitude 325X
    2012 Ford F350 SRW 6.7 Dsl Crew Cab

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brent,

You're probably seeing people who are in the same boat as us. I'll give you an example of our recent trip to South Dakota for a family reunion. The family reunion was a week long. My wife is a 8th grade science teacher, my son will be 2 on Monday, and we brought our niece and nephew with us (14). So the only one that has a time constraint, the driver, me! I was able to take a 2 week vacation, so with the week long reunion, that leaves a total of one week of driving. On the way there we stayed a night in Vegas, one night in Fillmore, UT, one night in Rock Springs, Wy, then made our destination in Hill City, SD. Then on the way home, one night in Central City, CO, Moab, UT, Flagstaff, AZ, then home.

So for us, it's a game of hopscotch to get to our destination because of my time constraints. I could have taken 3 weeks of vacation off, but then my desk is a mess when I get back, I have to get caught up on everything, and I loose out on vacation for the end of the year or anything else we may want to do.

Now what I try to do during our game of hopscotch is find at least one or two places that we may want to visit again for a longer stay in the future. Gives us an idea if it would be worth it to go back or not. As for the last trip, Fillmore, Yes (with atvs), Rock Springs, probably not, Central City, yes, Moab, definitely, Flagstaff, yes. So in that one trip, we found places we would want to make specific trips to.

Hope this makes sense and I didn't ramble on too long.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    As for the sleeping in and 2pm start. I couldn't fathom doing that. After getting up at 5am for over 40 years of employment, I can't usually every sleep past 6am. When I get up, the dog gets up. When the dog gets up, she won't let the Mrs. sleep in, so by 6:30 we're up and at 'em. We're usually on the road by 9am on travel days, and in our new campground by 2-3 pm.

Jim
    Jim, makes sense. Still, the CGs are completely empty meaning no one is staying regardless of departure time. I suspect that will change at the big hot spots like Yellowstone. We also gave up the dog thing after our last one specifically because of travel. It's too much for our style of travel. In 12, we did the constant "up and at 'em" sorta...much earlier and go, go. It wore us out and caused lots of timeline stressors. We agreed to do our best to relax. Well, anyway, this is our version of relaxed.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tobymaxx View Post
    What you might be seeing are folks doing what we normally do. For example if we have two plus weeks to make it to AZ, where we spend the winter, we may want to spend half of the time at Arches NP and half at Zion NP. So even though there are many things to see between WI and UT we hustle across the country so we can maximize our time at our favorite destinations. Then instead of 2 days at a location and just seeing the highlights, we spend a full week at each place and really get to hike and bike and see the sights in more depth.

Everyone does the RV lifestyle their own way but I have a hunch you are seeing people heading to destinations where they will maximize their recreation time instead of taking weeks to get somewhere.

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes sense and I understand the destination thing. I suspect after we tour the country seeing as much as we can, we'll settle on favorites. I figured some would be touring/sight-seeing. And, of course, I mean retired folks. School/kids tend to tie folks down to their local areas.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Brent,

You're probably seeing people who are in the same boat as us. I'll give you an example of our recent trip to South Dakota for a family reunion. The family reunion was a week long. My wife is a 8th grade science teacher, my son will be 2 on Monday, and we brought our niece and nephew with us (14). So the only one that has a time constraint, the driver, me! I was able to take a 2 week vacation, so with the week long reunion, that leaves a total of one week of driving. On the way there we stayed a night in Vegas, one night in Fillmore, UT, one night in Rock Springs, Wy, then made our destination in Hill City, SD. Then on the way home, one night in Central City, CO, Moab, UT, Flagstaff, AZ, then home.

So for us, it's a game of hopscotch to get to our destination because of my time constraints. I could have taken 3 weeks of vacation off, but then my desk is a mess when I get back, I have to get caught up on everything, and I loose out on vacation for the end of the year or anything else we may want to do.

Now what I try to do during our game of hopscotch is find at least one or two places that we may want to visit again for a longer stay in the future. Gives us an idea if it would be worth it to go back or not. As for the last trip, Fillmore, Yes (with atvs), Rock Springs, probably not, Central City, yes, Moab, definitely, Flagstaff, yes. So in that one trip, we found places we would want to make specific trips to.

Hope this makes sense and I didn't ramble on too long.
    I remember those days! Lots of kid-friendly spots and family visits. Our kids are grown and now, they're giving us pause. They're kind of gloomy almost as if they don't understand. I think they miss us, don't understand the appeal, and maybe a pinch of envy. We tried to take them to diverse vacations instead of just local as they grew up. They're sweet and sure try. That sad, "have a good time." We do miss them and the grandkids too, but we're going to RV! :O)

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you should! My wife surprised me one day when SHE suggested that when we retire, she want to full-time and just visit the kids during the holidays. My response, "Who are you, woman??!??"

2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    As you should! My wife surprised me one day when SHE suggested that when we retire, she want to full-time and just visit the kids during the holidays. My response, "Who are you, woman??!??"
    LOL. Yeah, the teenage years might make that a reality! Whew, those little, turn big, people push and push during those years. Done it 4 times. Now, we're smiling as the grandkids grow! It's not justice, not at all. :O)

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    LOL. Yeah, the teenage years might make that a reality! Whew, those little, turn big, people push and push during those years. Done it 4 times. Now, we're smiling as the grandkids grow! It's not justice, not at all. :O)

Brent
    Luckily I have 11 years to go!

2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast