Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Toppers - DIY?

I am new to RVing and started reading a thread and think I might want to get some toppers on my 337RLS. I looked online and saw Dometic toppers for sale between $200 To $300 depending on length needed. So it appears I might save about half the cost if I install these myself. And I can do them one at a time as my budget allows. Has anyone else added slide-out toppers DIY? Would anyone not recommend doing this? I consider my self pretty handy and certainly am not timid about doing modifications. But, I am also not going to attempt anything that someone else has experience with and says they would recommend not doing it. Thanks for your input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I to would like to know,,
    Nelson & Susan
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    FT @ Orange Grove RV Park
    2015 GD379FL Solitude
    We Pull with 2016 RAM 3500 DRW, 4x4, 6.7 Cummins
    We are FTing and FT Work we have a few more years till we can travel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not real difficult, be sure your fasteners are in something solid, like frame and caulk screws. Easier if you have help. There are some tube videos if you do a search
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be extremely helpful if we knew the framing of the slider where the brackets are placed. I hate to just assume there is some type of solid structural piece running along the top of the slider, but I would think there would have to be. That appears where the brackets are attached. I saw a thread where another person had posted how he had installed his. I'll see if I can find that again and reread it. I just gotta think it can be done fairly easily and safely by a DIY'er.

Edit: I did find this post that is helpful and shows it can be done.

Brent,
    Yes, I personally installed slideout toppers on my 2015 303RLS. I installed Carefree of Colorado SOKIII covers with built-in deflector, but not having the metal cover. I ordered the SOKIII's from: RVandAutomotiveParts.com . The ones I installed are white (my choice). Part numbers etc are as follows:

Bedroom Slideout: UQ0770025 (canopy length: 83.5"; Rollbar Cut Length: 83.25"; Summit Deflector Lgt: 83.38")
    Dining Area Slideout: UQ1330025 (canopy length: 139.5"; Rollbar Cut Length: 139.25"; Summit Deflector Lgt: 139.38")
    Kitchen Slideout: UQ1490025 (canopy length: 155.5"; Rollbar Cut Length: 155.25"; Summit Deflector Lgt: 155.38")

*** The Kitchen Slideout requires the Carefree of Colorado "Hidden Deflector Mounting Bracket" (2 required, I used 3 and am glad). Brackets sold directly from Carefree of Colorado for $21.01 ea plus $10.00 freight. These brackets make it possible to mount the cover at/on the bottom edge of the room flange. This is necessary due to the location of the refrig top vent.

The installation is fairly simple if you are DIY competent. Use a level for layout liines, pre-drill pilot holes for self-tapping screws, use silicone in holes and with brackets, etc. Measure twice and drill once !!
    The covers with vinyl installed have significant weight; however, paying attention to the wrap direction, removing the vinyl from the tube prior to setting the tube on the mounting brackets, then taking the vinyl onto the roof of the RV and feeding it back onto the tube makes this a one-person installation. Just don't fall off the RV !!!

Actually I wish that I had installed the one on the kitchen slideout first because that is when I was informed by Carefree of Colorado about the hidden brackets. If I had known about them I would have used them on all three covers even though that does add to the cost. They make a cleaner installation IMO.

Hope this helps. If you need any information about this install just let me know.
    Rich Kaiser
    Keith & Julie
    Huron, OH
    "Boys and their Toys"
    GD Reflection 337RLS
    Sailfish 266CC Twin Yamaha 150's 4 stroke
    Ford F-350XLT 4X4 SRW 6.7 Diesel Long Bed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a couple on my Keystone when I got it. Pretty easy. Just take your time. Longer slides might be easier with two people but not necessary

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not difficult to install slide toppers if you are handy with a drill and screwdriver, follow the instructions and have someone to help. I installed two units in about an hour and a half.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the encouragement. I have looked at installation sheets and videos and it seemed like a pretty straight forward install. I think I'll probably give it a try unless my dealer makes me an offer I can't refuse! Right, like that's going to happen. Any recommendations on the manufacturer or best type of topper / awning to use?
    Keith & Julie
    Huron, OH
    "Boys and their Toys"
    GD Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a caution on installing the dining area slide topper (curb side). Ours was dealer installed BTW.
    The clearance to the main awning will be really tight. We found that our slide/topper and our awning do not move out from the wall exactly parallel to each other. While there is about 3/8" clearance between the end of the topper and the awning arm when both are in, the awning arm contacts the end of the topper as it extends. Too small an amount "out of square" to notice . . . unless you are dealing in 1/8s of an inch to maintain a clearance. Once past the end of the topper, there is no other interference with the awning.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob for the very helpful information. One of those things I probably would not have noticed until after the install and I put the slide out (and hit the awning arm). Now that I know what to look for, hopefully I can get it right on the "first" install. It is really a luxury when things go according to plan, which in my case, I find rarely do. But, the more I know before hand, the better my chances. How true "the more prepared I am, the luckier I seem get." Thanks for taking the time to inform me.

Keith
    Keith & Julie
    Huron, OH
    "Boys and their Toys"
    GD Reflection 337RLS