User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 385TH Tires

C130TN

385TH Tires

Are most of you changing out the OEM tires on the Momentum toy haulers or having decent luck with them! I switched out my tires on my Fuzion for Michelin XPS RIBS and really liked them and had no issues for the three years we owned it. I'd like to get a year out of the Westlake tires but my first objective is to increase my odds of avoiding a blowout altogether. I know any tire can have a blowout, I just want to do what I can to avoid them. I run a TPMS and check my pressures before traveling.

I know the XPS RIBS have less capacity than the typical ST tire and the OEM tire but personally I still think they are a much better, safer tire for towing. I'm not wanting to start another tire debate, just wondering what owners are doing and if the Westlakes are proving to be pretty reliable. I've researched RV tires to death and the one tire I hear very little, if any, negative comments is the XPS RIB. My local Discount Tire manager swears by them and says almost all of the Hotshot guys around Houston use them because they are the most reliable. My only concern is the one year warranty and if I'm better off leaving the OEM tires on.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385TH Tires

We've got a one year old 380th dual axle and have almost 13,000 miles now on the 17.5" Westlakes. I've had no issue, but am fastidious about maintaining tire pressure, use a TPMS system, and follow the max speed rating of 65. I'll probably replace with something else next spring, but see no reason to change at this point. I think the "China Bomb" syndrome is more misuse and bad luck than reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

C130TN
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    We've got a one year old 380th dual axle and have almost 13,000 miles now on the 17.5" Westlakes. I've had no issue, but am fastidious about main ring tire pressure, use a TPMS system, and follow the max speed rating of 65. I'll probably replace with something else next spring, but see no reason to change at this point. I think the "China Bomb" syndrome is more misuse and bad luck than reality.

Thanks, did you change out the valve stems for metal ones or keep the OEM. I've read the TPMS sometimes causes issues with the rubber valve stems and had metal ones on my other toy hauler.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine came with metal stems because the max psi - which is what I run - is 123 PSI. If yours is a 3 axle it may be different psi. We've been in the road for over a year now, and I constantly see large TH's passing me at 70-75 mph. I'll drive motorcycles 100mph, but my rig usually runs around 60-65. Of course we're retired, keep a loose schedule and are in no hurry to get anywhere, so YMMV.

Alan and Kathleen

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AR, I agree with your opinion on tire issues. Being fastidious on this subject is absolutely required! When we had our Gold Wing, my wife would lightly doze on the interstate, but when she woke up and saw triple digits on the speedo, my shoulders got pounded!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Although I don't have a Momentum, I do have Westlake tires on my Reflection. I've accumulated over 20K on them now, and they still look pretty good. They are rated for 75mph, but I rarely exceed 65-68mph. I drive even slower when the ambient temperatures are over 100.

C130TN
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Although I don't have a Momentum, I do have Westlake tires on my Reflection. I've accumulated over 20K on them now, and they still look pretty good. They are rated for 75mph, but I rarely exceed 65-68mph. I drive even slower when the ambient temperatures are over 100.
    Great, sounds like they are decent tires. I can't wait to go pick it up next week. I tend to drive 65-70 if conditions are good so glad they are rated for 75 mph. I will say towing with a dually plus the air ride TS3 hitch I catch myself going faster than I used to tow with my F250.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure to see what speed rating the tires on your rig are and I'd always suggest usin the max rated psi. Assuming they have fresh tires installed, which you can confirm by the DOT date, you should be fine. I attended the GD Rally last year and during the Westlake presentation asked about mileage life on my specific tires which are the 17.5" H rated, and it's only 15,000 miles. Even at almost 13k, I see no tread wear, but the problem with Trailer tires is not the tread life but the sidewall life because of the weights involved. That's why I will be getting a new set next year, even though mine look brand new.

Steve - I carry a Wing in our TH. Love the acceleration and the ride. Wife rarely knows we're doing 85 it is so smooth!��
    Alan and Kathleen